Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting motors together  (Read 8077 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Connecting motors together
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:11 pm »

Interesting thread , as a relative newbie to boats (from aero)the wiring of motors as described was a eye opener I did not realise that motors had to rotate opposite ways.
I intend building a Tug twin screw in fixed Korts, does it make a difference which way they rotate?also am I right in thinking that I will need a left and right Propeller?
My only other boat was a ASRL from deans single screw which was simple forward and reverse.
Chris

You can run your boat with both props running the same way, I have a 24 inch frigate that I run this way, but you may find the torque from the props gives a bias to the steering. Turning inboard or outboard is the subject of much discussion. If you have twin rudders I don't think it matters much, A single rudder will probably benefit from inboard turning props. And yes you will need left and right handed props, otherwise if you run two same handed props on contra rotating shafts your boat will turn very nicely but do nothing else.  <:(

HTH
Don't Assume Check

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:23 pm »

Very, very informative  :-)) :-)) :-))

Going back to the drawing board to rewire a couple of motors  O0 O0 O0

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:12 am »

thanks to one and all for the comprehensive information and support - this has indeed been a good positive informative thread.

Andrew

Cklasse

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:20 pm »

I had wired up 2 motors according to the suggestion earlier in this thread. Now I am stuck with some doubts;

1. which slot of the Spektrum receiver should I connect the ESC? Is it the batt or the thro?
2. it suddenly dawn on me that how do I control the motor speed if the ESC is plugged into the receiver batt slot.
3. if the ESC is plugged into the receiver thro slot, then where will my receiver get its power supply?

I am totally confused.

cliff2903

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:05 pm »

Picked up a catalogue at wicky for these people - http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

prices on connectors and heatshrink tube seem good and p+p is very reasonable

cliff2903

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:46 pm »

can i ask (while on the subject ok2) which gauge of wire to use for battery and motor leads with a 900 motor and 12v 7ah gel battery

thanks

cliff

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »

I had wired up 2 motors according to the suggestion earlier in this thread. Now I am stuck with some doubts;

1. which slot of the Spektrum receiver should I connect the ESC? Is it the batt or the thro?
2. it suddenly dawn on me that how do I control the motor speed if the ESC is plugged into the receiver batt slot.
3. if the ESC is plugged into the receiver thro slot, then where will my receiver get its power supply?

I am totally confused.

Connect the ESC to the receiver throttle. The battery connection is for seperate battery supply to receiver.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Cklasse

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »

Thanks for the answer. I had managed to get the motors spinning with the setup but I found that one motor seemed to sound differently. The sound changed pitch intermittently as it spins, like a F1 car changing its gear.
Can this be a case of different motor?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:52 pm »

Both motors should be identical.

I am assuming you are not using a seperate battery pack for your power to the receiver.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 05:12:05 pm »

I am totally confused.

Looking at the picture, the motors are in parallel, wired to turn the same way.
The BEC in the ESC supplies the RX wherever it is plugged in, so just plug it into your chosen channel.

Thanks for the answer. I had managed to get the motors spinning with the setup but I found that one motor seemed to sound differently. The sound changed pitch intermittently as it spins, like a F1 car changing its gear.
Can this be a case of different motor?
If one motor is varying in sound while the other is steady, it is suspect.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.