Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help to save the wreck of the Stella Polaris (Model)  (Read 4816 times)

Tad

Help to save the wreck of the Stella Polaris (Model)
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:33:19 am »

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and my reason to be here is because I need urgent help to assess the damage done to the model of the 'Stella Polaris' after it was rescued from an unfortunate Garage fire. The metal 7'.00" model was in the garage of it's owner along with a smaller metal model of the Queensbury, when a fire occurred.  The fire was very fortunately spotted before the building was destroyed by it but nevertheless, the model has suffered from fire damage. The intense heat has blebbed and burnt most of the paintwork around the superstructure and decks and sadly several passengers who were lounging on the decks enjoying the cruise were consumed by the heat and melted.

The long time owner of the vessel had had it stored in his garage for many years. It is a replica model of the historic and much loved luxury yacht commissioned and built for Kaiser Bill several years before the second world war, but it was was seized by the British Government as part of war reparations and later sold, I believe, to the Bergen line who used it for several years to ferry passengers between the Tyne and Norway. It was a regular sight on the Tyne and is fondly remembered still.

The owner would like to know if anyone would be interested in taking on the project of restoring the model ship to its former glory and obviously at what cost. But failing that, If you can offer your help in way it would be sincerely appreciated, maybe by taking a professional look at it to assess the damage and to advice on the best course of action? The garage and owner are located in the village of Holywell near Seaton Delaval.

The fire occurred two weeks ago and the matter needs a very fast response. The Garage contents were insured but because there was lots of tools, equipment and an accumulation grown over time of numerous other items, the contents, overall, were probably undervalued. I am here to tell you the story and to appeal for help, because where else would I find the expertise, passion and concern, than from the you, the experts?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Help to save the wreck of the Stella Polaris (Model)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:00 am »

Some pictures of the damage would give us some idea of the size of this project.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tad

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:09 am »

Thanks for the fast response Bob, I have emailed the owner( my Brother) to ask him to take some photo's. I'll post them ASAP

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:02 pm »

Could you possibly tell us a bit more about your location, I'm afraid I haven't heard of Holywell or Seaton Delaval so I'm sure there are others equally uncertain.

I'm sure an inspection would be required but certainly, as Bob says pictures are a very good start.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »

Whitley Bay?

And I am guessing a Neighbors fan
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »

Near Whitley Bay.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Wasyl

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:07:11 pm »

Seaton Delaval is in Northumberland

Wullie

Tad

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion re the location. Yes its near Whitley Bay Nothumberland. I had'nt thought of the forum as national more local. infact it did'nt even cross my mind I apologise for that.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »

Hi Tad

It is more international. Nay, global  :o

We have lots of members in Europe, as far as Poland and Russia.
We have members in Canada, USA and South America.
Several members in Australia and New Zealand.
And even some in Asia, I am writing from China.

What you can do is go to the profile page and put your location in the profile. This will help others help you  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tad

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »

Ok Thanks for the correction and again my apologise. I have updated my profile as you suggested cheers. %)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:08:17 pm »

Tad,

I am just along by Rake lane Hospital I may be able to offer advice, send me a PM.

Riggers
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Tad

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:44:53 am »

Thank you everyone for your replies to my quest for help. I have received a message from Rigger24, he is local to me and has offered to come and take a look. Here are some images taken yesterday in the garage.Thanks again.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

Here is a potted history of the Stalla Polaris: http://www.cruiseshipodyssey.com/stelpolaris.htm

***post edited to fix link***

Tad

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:38:19 am »

I'd like to thank everyone who took an interest in my quest to find 'help to save the Staella Polaris model' Rigger24 is going to take a look at it and give his assessment I believe. The potted history on the ship from 'Liverbudgie' was very interesting thanks a lot for that too. :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.