Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First post !!!  (Read 2075 times)

Victory Star

First post !!!
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:46:35 pm »

Hi everyone , this is my first post on the forum . I have never built a model boat before apart from airfix years ago but I will hopefully be getting a billings model of the Mary Ann from the good wife for Christmas  ;) I know it's not a beginners model but having looked at pictures and descriptions on the forum I think I can handle it . I'll apologise in advance for the stupid obvious questions i'm going to be asking about the build . if someone could give me a rundown of materials i'd need to get to be ready for when the kit arrives that would be great , cheers  :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: First post !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »

You will need somewhere to work, and some tools. Are you reasonably well-equipped at the moment?

Victory Star

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:22 pm »

You will need somewhere to work, and some tools. Are you reasonably well-equipped at the moment?

I have somewhere to work yes but have just got married and moved into a new house so the tools are a bit limited at the moment  {:-{ but nothing that cant be sorted

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »

Hello, Congrats on your Wedding, suggest most strongly to concentrate on your marriage for the next few months, it will make a difference in the long run, never neglect the better half, she can give you Hell if you do.    Nemesis

Victory Star

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:51:58 pm »

Hello, Congrats on your Wedding, suggest most strongly to concentrate on your marriage for the next few months, it will make a difference in the long run, never neglect the better half, she can give you Hell if you do.    Nemesis
{-) {-)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:29 am »

A new wife and a new house! This is the PERFECT opportunity to lay claim to as many rooms in the house as you can and also to a large portion of the household budget!

I got 1/4 of the garage and $5 per month as long as no one else needed either - boy was I lucky!

Good luck with your build. Others have said it before and I'll say it again - there is a heap of experience on this forum and the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask :)
Alister

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:59:43 pm »

Trying to get back to the original question....

The build log shows quite a lot of the techniques and tools needed...

As well as the kit - if you want to sail the boat, you will need a motor, propeller/propeller shaft and connector. I don't know if a prop/propshaft comes with the kit...

If you want to control it with radio you will need a radio transmitter, a receiver, a servo and an electronic speed controller (ESC)

Someone might like to start talking about glues? and paints?

You will need a building board, modelling knife, small saw, vice, small file....lots of pins and clamps would be a good idea....

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

Is this Mary Ann, the static version,
according to the Billings website you will need these paints,which are readily available from most model shops
Humbrol Paint Colours recommended for this model:..they retail for approx £1,20 per tinlet,....a far cry from when i first bought them at 1/- per tin,... {-)
2 Emerald
9 Tan
18 Orange
21 Black
22 White
23 Duck Egg Blue
35 Clear Poly Varnish
40 Pale Grey

Wullie

regiment

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »

hello just got married  ..new house .. not much chance of building  a boat yet  ;)

Victory Star

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:22:19 am »

Thanks for the info , to be honest as its my first build maybe I was biting off more than I could chew with the Mary Ann so i'll save doing her till I'm a bit more experienced .So instead I've decided to get the  fifie "amaranth"

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_fifie.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.