Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working Canal Boat  (Read 3959 times)

stuartm

Working Canal Boat
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »

I started building this years ago and then put it under the bench, anyway a few months back A vowed to complete it. So having acquired all the bits I finally got her bottom wet. Just trimming it up in the bath.
She floated well at the water line with a slight bow up attitude, moving the SLA forward slightly meant I could tailor it suit. Testing the 555 motor by flashing the battery connections on and off left the 7.5 amp fuse intact so I'll wire in the Viper 15ESC this week and weather permitting launch this weekend. I'll work out how to get some piccy's up.
I'm looking forward to seeing her afloat under her own steam :-)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Working Canal Boat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »

Good to see another boat on the water - don't forget to trim her slightly stern heavy or she will not steer at all.
t

stuartm

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »

Thats a good tip, as the SLA is lying on its side its easy enough to slide it forward or back. Anticipating steering niggles I made the the rudder quite large on the basis that I can trim it to suit. I've just been checking the leaky seem and it seems tight now. so its putting the electronics in and testing it this weekend. If it Sail's well then I'll detail it out as and when I feel like  it.

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:21 pm »

what scale did you build her to ? i made one earlier in the year for my girlfriend at 1/24th scale , but used too small a motor so if theres any wind blowing the poor thing has a job to make headway ! winters project , a more powerful motor and new 2.4ghz radio .

stuartm

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:00:54 pm »

Its scaled roughly (very :embarrassed:) 1/12. I didn't build it to any plans just what timber I had available which happened to be 48" wide so thats how long it is. fortunately Narrow boats don't seem to have a defined length so it scales at 48' which looks right 'ish. The only reason its a working boat was I didn't have enough material to extend the cabin forward.
Its my first attempt at a boat I know now that it floats but will it steer and motor. But it has got me interested in Marine modelling which I intend to run alongside my garden railway interests. So it won't be the last build I've got another project build in mind for winter.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

What you have to bear in mind when working out the scale of a narrow boat is that many of the locks on the canals are about 7 feet wide so the boats are very often 6'6" wide. The maximum length I think is 72 feet as locks often are 75 feet max.
Alan

stuartm

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:33 pm »

I made mine 6.5 " wide so it looks in proportion, at least on the bench! I'm looking forward to seeing her on the water. If I was doing it again I'd make it an inch deeper just to get a little more hull below the surface. But as a first attempt at scratch building I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far.

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:58 pm »

when i built ours it was done to 1/24th scale , which has turned out to be a little on the small side , its only about 3 & a half inches beam , and 27 inches long , so most of the radio gear has to be mini or micro sized , i drew my own plans , although some areas were then changed as it was built ! it is however a pleasure variant so has been fully detailed inside with beds , galley even the shower and toilet have been made , the inside walls are veneered in sapeale and black walnut , the only off putting area was its been painted yellow and pink being the girlfriends choice !

stuartm

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:34:59 pm »

part of the reason I went with 1/12 was that I had some RC equipment and a box full of motors from my sons wrecked buggy. I've managed to utilise most of the gear, although I ended up using  a new Viper 15 ESC as the mechanical ones from the buggy were more of a slow on/off switch rather than a speed controller. So using mainly scrap wood and recycled RC components its been a cheap project so far.
Not so sure on your colour scheme I'll probably stick with a conventional black hull and dark blue topsides ;)

stuartm

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

Well I took her down to the Leeds /Liverpool canal today found a nice quite smooth arm that is not used by the boats. The sun was out and conditions couldn't have been better. The only niggle was I forgot the "!*&$£ camera  {:-{.
Anyway fired up the electrics and wedged the SLA in with a couple of coffee stirrers, having used it to trim for and aft.
Gently applied power and away she went.
Flat out was a little over a brisk walking pace, 1/2 to 3/4 throttle seemed about right. The steering seemed fine with just an occasional tap to port to keep her straight. The occasional puff of wind moved her but easily brought under control with the rudder. All in all I'm pleased with the outcome.
Next stage is to do the canvas for the cargo area and detail the boat out with some art, fenders and churns etc.
Cracking hour sat in the Autumn sun, can't wait to get her afloat again.  :-)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:41:52 pm »

Well done - don' forget the camera next time!
Note to Martin - why don't we have a "new launches" section like "Wooden Boat" does?

stuartm

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 08:08:45 pm »

Not on the water I know but shortly after I got back. Still some work to do but the foundation is all there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.