Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A tale 0f woe  (Read 6080 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
A tale 0f woe
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

The trials and tribulations of Digital Photography.
Last Thursday my trusty old Canon S50 threw an unrepairable electronic wobbler. So farewell my old friend. Decided (reluctantly)to spend some money on Sunday. Decided on the new Canon SX 30 IS. An SLR with a fixed lens. But what a lens. The main reason that I've shied away from digital SLRs has always been their sheer physical bulk, and the probability of needing extra lenses...which I grew to hate carting around in my old 35mm Pentax days. This (apparently new on the market) thing has a lens that goes from 24mm wide angle to 840mm telephoto. And it's almost as compact as my old 35mm SLR. So, poorer, but "happy" away I went to begin yet another learning curve.
Monday. Always a "dark day". My printer head shorted out. (I know why, but I can't say on an open forum). "Shoot", or words to that effect. More of the kids inheritance blown on fripperies. (But as he's just bought a new BMW I reckon I can indulge myself!).
I took the camera down to the Tyne Piers this morning during a good F6 wind, not yet having done any settings on the camera, and without a tripod (so hand held). The pixel count allowed on the forum don't do justice to the originals, and I haven't "touched" them up. If your'e in the market for a new camera, please check this one out.
Notes from a simple seaman

barryfoote

Re: A tale 0f woe
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

Bryan, Just to correct you on one thing. Your camera is not an SLR at all. It has an electronic viewfinder and is known as a 4/3rds camera. It is in effect a compact with a very large zoom lens on it. A great piece of kit you have landed yourself there though.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:57:59 pm »

Bryan, Just to correct you on one thing. Your camera is not an SLR at all. It has an electronic viewfinder and is known as a 4/3rds camera. It is in effect a compact with a very large zoom lens on it. A great piece of kit you have landed yourself there though.
OK Footski...I sort of half realised that, but as the only way to see what your'e taking a picture of is via the lens, then to me that's as close as I can think of to being an SLR. Surely the "image" the photographer sees is as seen through the camera lens? There's no other "orifice" (for want of a better word!) that can act as a peephole/viewfinder. So, to me anyway, the thing functions like an SLR. Without a mirror clicking up and down. Can you, in simple terms (as few syllables as possible please) explain the less obvious differences? I mean that quite seriously, as haven't a clue. Regards. Bryan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:17 pm »

That's one hell of a Zoom range!!!  :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:44 pm »

Bryan, as you say an SLR has a mirror, which moves out of the way when the shutter is released. This gives a view directly and optically straight through the lens. Your camera has an electronic viewfinder and only gives an approximation of what the lens sees. That said, these modern cameras have superb electronic viewfinders, producing great results as you have shown above. Hope this helps,

Barry

Lord Bungle

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »

that is an impressive zoom, did you have the camera on a tripod to take that photo, I know if I tried to take on like that with no support it would be a little blurry to say the least  {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »

I think his neighbours should be worried lol  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:06:23 pm »

Bryan, as you say an SLR has a mirror, which moves out of the way when the shutter is released. This gives a view directly and optically straight through the lens. Your camera has an electronic viewfinder and only gives an approximation of what the lens sees. That said, these modern cameras have superb electronic viewfinders, producing great results as you have shown above. Hope this helps,

Barry
Thanks Barry.....so in effect it's an electronic version (sort of) of an SLR. Thanks again. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:11:33 pm »

that is an impressive zoom, did you have the camera on a tripod to take that photo, I know if I tried to take on like that with no support it would be a little blurry to say the least  {-)
No. All just hand-held bracing myself on the car. And it was pretty windy. When I get more used to the camera I'll start exploring its possibilites...like close-ups of bits of "Norseman"! I only posted this lot because I'm seriously impressed myself, and (if you've read some of my other posts) I'm not that easy to impress. BY

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:38 pm »

I think his neighbours should be worried lol  {-)
Having said that.....perhaps you could be right. When I first got the camera home, unboxed it, fitted the battery and memory card I just vaguely pointed it at a neighbours upstairs window (just to test the focus, you understand....). The pic that came up was unrecognizable until I realised that I was actually looking at the furniture in the bedroom. I really will have to be careful!!!! BY.

sailorboy61

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »

Having said that.....perhaps you could be right. When I first got the camera home, unboxed it, fitted the battery and memory card I just vaguely pointed it at a neighbours upstairs window (just to test the focus, you understand....). The pic that came up was unrecognizable until I realised that I was actually looking at the furniture in the bedroom. I really will have to be careful!!!! BY.

Not as careful as they will Bryan     %)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »

Just as an impression of size:-

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:39 pm »

Wow , Mine is a Digital Slr and I could not get anyway near that zoom. :-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

Wow , Mine is a Digital Slr and I could not get anyway near that zoom. :-)
Yeah, sort of "xxxxx" isn't it? Must be compensation for something else. BY.

ixion

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »

I am in the market for a new camera, I think the zoom on that has just sold it to me.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:47:31 pm »

I am in the market for a new camera, I think the zoom on that has just sold it to me

But remember, the geater the magnification, the more likely you are to get camera shake unless it's mounted on a tripod. This does put some practical limitations on use, particularly in lower light situations.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:22 am »

But remember, the geater the magnification, the more likely you are to get camera shake unless it's mounted on a tripod. This does put some practical limitations on use, particularly in lower light situations.

Colin
Unless its one of these magic ones that can eliminate shake, usually by looking at a bigger picture, deciding which bit you would like, and sticking with that.  I hate machines that are cleverer than me. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 11:14:58 am »

I hate machines that are cleverer than me. 

Yes, especially the ones that claim to work out when you are smiling....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 11:29:10 am »

Re tripods: I've got one of those 6" high bendy legged things (freebie with some magazine) which does me fine in most cases.
Image stabilisation is always "on" as default, but can be turned off. I imagine that's what the "IS" means in the camera name.
If the IS system detects excessive shake when turned on or off a warning iconappears on the screen/in the viewfinder recommending that a tripod be fitted.
I forgot to mention that the camera has a 3" (diagonal) screen that swivels from the vertical to the horizontal in both directions....a selling point for me as taking low level pics was always a problem with my S50. BY.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »

I am in the market for a new camera, I think the zoom on that has just sold it to me.

look at the nikon coolpix  too- same type of camera, and well worth a look, i am very impressed with mine
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:55 pm »

Guy - which Nikon are you using? My old 950 is getting tired and not as reliable when it shoots. I've been looking at a possible upgrade. Be interested in seeing what these are like.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:40 pm »

the one i am thinking of which is similar is the compact 'SLR style'  p90 its a good all rounder and priced at  entry level affordability

the p90 is  12 mpixel, and has 24x zoom, all round good package-lightweight and easy to use - digital image stabilisation for long range zoom too,

i have one of these for work and its bigger brother at home for me - both are excellent the p90 is more lightweight and easier to handle......
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

Also looking at Fuji HS10
About £100 cheaper than the Cannon.
30x zoom

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »

the one i am thinking of which is similar is the compact 'SLR style'  p90 its a good all rounder and priced at  entry level affordability

the p90 is  12 mpixel, and has 24x zoom, all round good package-lightweight and easy to use - digital image stabilisation for long range zoom too,

i have one of these for work and its bigger brother at home for me - both are excellent the p90 is more lightweight and easier to handle......

That P90 is a superb camera. It does get a bit of stick on image quality which is very unfair as this would only be noticeable at the largest print sizes. Go for it and enjoy  :-)) :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

You get the Zoom but not the speed of the latest DSLR cameras
Action shots need speed

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.