Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tale 0f woe  (Read 6079 times)

Boy From the Bay

Re: A tale 0f woe
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »

They are getting faster. HS10 is 7 frames per second. I expect the Cannon is the same or better.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »

Yet another example of a rather simple post leading to a world wide discussion! Fascinating! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »

Yes Bryan, does your camera have a quick 'startup' speed? By which I mean that if you have not been using it for several minutes and you need to take a photo of something quickly is there a noticeable 'lag' before it wakes up when you press the shutter button?

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:14:08 pm »

Yes Bryan, does your camera have a quick 'startup' speed? By which I mean that if you have not been using it for several minutes and you need to take a photo of something quickly is there a noticeable 'lag' before it wakes up when you press the shutter button?

Colin
Colin, I never really know if your'e winding me up or not! But as I'm only up to page 60 of the 192 page manual I'll have to pass on your query.
However! I did discover that I can actually double the tele length that I used for the pics of the lighthouse. Could be interesting, to say the least.
Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

Bryan! You know I'd never wind you up - might take the key out though....

Seriously, as touched on above, one of the characteristics of a full SLR compared with a 'compact' camera is its ability to quickly 'wake' up from a switched off or 'resting' position. Very useful at air shows etc. However, non SLR cameras have been catching up in recent years and many of them are now very quick.

The 'double' tele length you are looking at is probably what is termed as 'electronic zoom'. Basically all this does is to enlarge the central portion of the sensor with a corresponding loss of definition. Just the same as enlarging the central portion of a traditional photographic print. It's the optical zoom you have which really matters and this seems to be very good on your camera, especially with the stability function switched on. (But of course the Image Stability draws power and reduces battery liife. No free lunch!)

Another advantage of your camera is that it probably weighs less than a traditional SLR so you don't get a cricked neck carrying it around all day. I Have a Canon 350D which is a fairly light SLR with a big zoom attached and this is just about tolerable. A friend of mine has a better SLR camera but doesn't carry it around so much as it is 'too heavy'!

Colin

Colin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.