Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilge Pump  (Read 7032 times)

Richard M

Bilge Pump
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:39:47 pm »

I thought about fitting a bilge pump to my WIP Robbe Atlantis, either fully automatic or switched via the R/C but I have no idea how to go about it or what hardware to use. Any suggestions?

RichM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Bilge Pump
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:01:31 pm »

Loads of stuff on here, do a search for "Bilge Pump"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Richard M

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:35 pm »

Taa, I will

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »

Go for automatic
You will have a problem knowing when it needs to switch on when the boat is in the middle of the pond O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Captain Jack

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

Well, there's an easy solution. This unit is self contained, and readily available.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZ48&P=0

Richard M

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:38 pm »

Thanks for advice. Middle of pond comment makes sense.

Warwickshire exhibition coming up so will look for UK version of Captain Jacks suggestion there.

Rich.

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:44 pm »

would it not be safer to locate the source of the leak ? i have a kysosho seawind that took on water when i first got her , traced my leak to the original hatch bending & letting water in , solved my problem with some 5mm clear prespex , 5 x 40mm x m4 stainless steel nuts & bolts 7 5 m4 wing nuts and a length of 6mm half round neopreen rubber , ive made my own hatch and cured the leak !   

HUNTER

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:37:49 am »

We manufacture and retail a Bilge Pump Control plus pump and yes we will be at the Warwick show stand 28.
See you there!!
Regards
Graham

Richard M

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »

I agree it would be better to prevent leak but I was thinking belt and braces, also I like bits of technology.

Rich

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »

I used to have an old square rigger that weaked like a basket in hot weather (Twas and old singled planked hull)  I used a car windscreen washer pump and a cork with a contact strip glued on it as a float switch connected to its own battery ...as soon as the boat got 1/4 inch of water in it the pump did its work ..,very low tec... very cheap ...worked every time
Freebooter  :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Richard M

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 03:44:42 pm »

Great idea, I need to find a scrapyard, they all seem to be turning into trading estates

Richard

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:53 pm »

Richard
  Most auto shops carry the pumps,  (£7.00 to £14.00) the trick is to find one that works on 6v, most cars are 12v ,thats why I fitted mine with it's own battery
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Landlocked

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »

Thanks to Capt Jack for the Tower Hobby steer.

The RAM 45 Boatsaver w/ pump looks like it will do the job.  Would like to see a pickup tube option but the base mount should work

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »

Just thought I'd share afew photos that show the Ram Boat Saver installed in a two of boats. The product is a very simple and effective devise that is actuated when water in the bilge contact a two pronged plug that you locate in a place in the hull that the water would go first, once the water touches the two contacts it completes the circuit the pump activates and it also activates a warning light that can be located at some point on the boat you can see from the shore. It is power by a separate 9V so there is no drain on the boat's batteries. It shuts off when the water level drops below the contacts.

It is a bit large for many RC sailboats - could work on boats larger than 1 Meter. I installed them in two of my electric scale boats that I felt could easily sink in the event of a major influx of water. These things are not expensive, and provide a peace of mind worth the investment. I have added some foam to the larger Coast Guard boat, but the Chris Craft doesn't offer much space to enough foam to keep it afloat,  thus the pump.

Windchaser.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.