Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Functional Fittings  (Read 3877 times)

Capitaine LaGaffe

Functional Fittings
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

Greetings,

Being new to tugs, which fittings (as a minimum) do you need for towing (and pushing – rather fond of French and German pushers, and that push in one direction tow in the other boat I once saw in a photo …), working fittings for a model (and how they're set up), rather than the correct scale ones?

Thanks/T

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Functional Fittings
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:31 am »

Bollards..

As a minimum..
Both rear and forward bollards... and possibly a winch on the rear deck if you can fit it in..

Capitaine LaGaffe

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

Bollards, yes (type depending on type of boat), but a winch? For scale appearance, but when towing? A working winch? (I think a saw someone suggesting using a sail winch for an adjustable gog rope.) Badly phrased question, p'haps: what do I need where for towing/pushing (I'll get the terminology right some day), never mind scale appearance?

Thanks/T

Navy2000

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »

If you use the winch and tow directly from it you will need to have it geared down from what the sail winch turns. This also helps make it less likely for the tow to unwind the winch. If going directly from the tow winch with out gearing it the tow weight would have to be a light one, where as when geared down you can pull a heavier tow on the winch with it unwinding from the winch. I hopw that have explained this well enough for you.

Duane

ZZ56

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:28 pm »

you do not need a working winch for handling tows.

all your bollards can be perfectly to scale but must be sturdily contstructed and fastened to the deck.

Capitaine LaGaffe

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:02:24 am »

I guessed as much …

And if you're pushing rather than pulling? I'm having trouble finding the proper (model) way of tie the barge (barges, or whatever) to your pusher tug. And I guess US style differs from European style … Any tips, links, hints, anything?

Thanks/T

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »

Does this help? Taken on the lower Rhone earlier this year. I can email a full size if it would help.

Barrie

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:41:52 pm »

Pusher to barge
Pusher Port Fwd to Barge Port Aft
Pusher Stbd Fwd to Barge Stbd Aft
Pusher then has control

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:26:33 pm »

for towing bollards is it not better to have the whole bollard bonded into the hull , ? rather than just onto the deck ? i remember building a tyne class lifeboat ( 1/12th scale ) and both the front sampson post and the rear towing bollards were made up in brass tube , with brass bar soldered in below the deck to assist in spreading the load ! in fact it was strong enough that i could lift the whole model including the two 12 volt 7 ah batteries inside just on the post and bollards ! thought its better to be too strong than loose a tow by breaking part of the rig !

Capitaine LaGaffe

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

Does this help? Taken on the lower Rhone earlier this year. I can email a full size if it would help.

Barrie
Thanks. Please do: can't have too many photos. I've stumbled across a French site with similar photos of a whole lot of pousseurs. Contemplating the lot might get me on the right track. Otherwise, an overhead view would have been nice :-)

Capitaine LaGaffe

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »

Pusher to barge
Pusher Port Fwd to Barge Port Aft
Pusher Stbd Fwd to Barge Stbd Aft
Pusher then has control

Ned
Thanks! What kind of fitting is Pusher Fwd Port & Stbd? On one plan I have, they're some kind of pulleys, on a couple of other (and photos of French pushers) they're something other than bollards (I have no idea what they're called), and on some other they're aft leaning posts of some sort (I don't know what those are called either, sorry).

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:38:48 am »

Back to the working winch for towing , i have a pusher/ puller tug which i fitted a winch made from a cordless screwdriver
and with rope guides front and rear i can either tow from the stern using the winch to let out or take in the tow line .
Or i can latch onto a tow at the front , take up the slack then the load ant tug are as one ,
the gearing on the motor are such that there is no slip of the line when turned off ,try it with a cordless screwdriver .
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.