Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo storage!  (Read 3750 times)

Ben Tickle

Lipo storage!
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:54:11 am »

Hi,

I am wanting to put my lipos into storage mode for the winter. When i select this on my charger, it asks which rate i would like to charge/ discharge them at. It gives me the option of 01 amp upto 1.0 amp. Could somebody please advise me on this.

My batteries are 2000mah 11.1 packs or 4200mah 11.1 pack?

Thanks

Ben

nick_75au

Re: Lipo storage!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:33 am »

Hi Ben,
Just use the maximum 1 amp setting, the batteries are capable of much more than that rate. set voltage to around 3.7-3.8 volts, Its quicker to discharge the batteries in the boat/vehicle then recharge them to storage voltage, well it is for my charger which is 350 watt charge but only 50 watt discharge ( bank of resistors internal under the fan)

What I normally do is use the boat, and at the end of the day just charge them to storage voltage, then give them a charge to full capacity the evening before/morning before the next running day

Trucker Willy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:32:05 am »

Hi Ben

About 0.6 C to 0.8 C is recommended (not exceed 1C). Use to protect the Lipos a balancer.

Example:
Capacity             : 2000mA
Charge current    : 0,6 C

I Charge currant = 0,6 * 2000
I Charge currant = 1200 mA

Charging time: t = C / I
Charging time: t = 2000 / 1200
Charging time: t = ~ 1,7 h

For the storage of lithium polymer batteries, it is advisable to store the battery with a voltage of 3.7 V per cell.

After the end of camp should the battery is fully charged again with less than max. 1 C.
>>>>>> Always use a balancer <<<<<<

snowwolflair

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:37 am »

LiPo batteries best stored charged as if they discharge too far they will never come back.  Keep warm and dry.  I check mine every eight weeks or so.

nick_75au

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:18 am »

Lithium Polymer Batteries September 25, 2007
How to Prepare Your Lithium Polymer Battery for Storage – Winter Battery Care

If your lithium polymer (lipo) batteries will be unused this winter or you’re planning on leaving them alone for a month or two, please read this helpful article.

If you need to store your lipoly batteries, we would like to help you make sure they are fresh the next time you need to use them. Li-Poly batteries do not handle being left in a fully charged or discharged state over an extended period.

To insure your lipo batteries do not loose capacity while left unused, please follow these basic steps:

1. Place your lipoly battery in a LipoSack
   2. Charge the lithium polymer battery pack for storage to between 3.8V and 3.9V per cell (if your charger does not allow you to set the termination voltage, you can also fully charge the battery, and then discharge the battery to between 40-60% of its capacity. An awesome programmable lipoly charger is the Thunder Power 1010C)
   3. Check the voltage of your lithium polymer batteries with a Digital Multi Meter once a month while they are in storage
   4. Re-charge and balance your lipos as necessary to keep them between 3.8V and 3.9V per cell
   5. Keep lithium polymer batteries inside the LipoSack and stored in a cool, dry place with a stable temperature of between 40 and 70 degrees F (4 to 21 degrees C)

When you need to use your lithium polymer batteries again, fully charge the lipo pack and it will be ready to go. Following the 5 easy steps above will help extend the life of your valued lipo batteries.

Quoted from one of many sites that have this info :-))

Cheers
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 19 queries.