Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 1493 times)

crippin

Battery drain
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:57 pm »

Hello, Tony the novice again, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long a fully charged 6v 7ah battery would last operating a receiver and 4 hi torque servos.
Steering, Reverse bucket on jet drive , 2 x Hoppers, Thanks

exvtop

Re: Battery drain
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:32:39 pm »

Tony,

Hard to be precise because the servo current varies a great deal depending on the load.
With the system switched on but no servos moving or under load I should think the current would be around 100mA which gives you about three days operation.
With the servos operating intermittently I would think you ought to get 24 hours at least.
It's a big battery just to supply receiver and servos.
If you are feeding a motor as well, all this guess work goes out the window.

Mike

crippin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:43:11 pm »

Thanks Mike, The 6v system would be for reciever and servos only, I would also employ a 12v to run ESC and jet thrust motor + LED Navigation Lights. All this is going in a Fast Fisherman 1 metre hull to be adapted for weekend long carp fishing trips. i.e. Bait Boat with 2 or 3 large bait hoppers. Many thanks again.

rathikrishna

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »

Cripin, if you are looking for a faster craft, your battery pack will exhausted instantly...but if you are looking for a slower craft, like tugs and tug boats, or long war ships, you can simply limit the output of the battery output by using some simple circuits.by turning the preset used in the circuit, you can simply adjust the current, (AMPS) and voltage (VOLTS) from "0" to any level.so after connecting your battery to the instructed circuit, you can set the amperage, so you can simply calculate the timing.for eg: suppose you having a battery of 12 volts and 10 amps.if you limit the out put to 12 volts 1 amps, with this circuit,you will get 10 hours of time in theory, and sure 9 hours in practical.once i was crying because of this problem.so i turned whole of my ability in electronics in my model making and now almost rectified many probs.try once and you will feel the difference in battery life and running time..cheers..

crippin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:40:43 am »

Thanks once again to everyone
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.