Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take diabetes seriously  (Read 3273 times)

bigfella

Take diabetes seriously
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:06 am »

Hi all

Just got home after a month in the Gold Coast Hospital after having my big toe on my left foot amputated. Although diabetes was not the cause as such it was a contributing factor as the blood supply to my toes was not as it should be and the recovery of a small ulcer was compromised and the toe ended up dieing and had to be removed. So don't just dismiss diabetes take it seriously.

Regards David

Lord Bungle

Re: Take diabetes seriously
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:50:33 am »

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery, are you going to be off your feet for a while?

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:58 am »

Hi David,

Here's to a speedy recovery, and thanks for the warning for us all. Hope you're soon back to normal. O0 :-)) O0

Danny

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:07:09 am »

All the best for a speedy recovery David and many thanks for the warning.  Diabetes seems to be taking over as one of the more prevelent and damaging deseases nowadays and you are quite right, we should take it very seriously.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Trucker Willy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to David .... I am over 30 years with diabetes. Although I still have no problems.

High risk diabetic changes consist of eye, legs and kidneys......

boat captain

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:19:28 am »

Hi

My Father was a double amputee one leg above and the other below the knee.  It started with a small ulcer on one heel.  As far as I am concerned DIABETES is one of the worst dieseases.  Nobody should ignore the warning signs tiredness and an insatiable thirst are two.  At the first signs of this go to your Doctors.

Joe

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »

For general info to all readers.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to show any signs of this illness.
I was picked up following a routine blood test (for something else) about four years ago. No signs / symptoms.
They had just altered the values that they use to class you as diabetic or not. It took them four sets of tests before they classed me as being so. (This was completed at the local hospital as they reckoned that their testing was more accurate than that at the G.P.'s surgery).
Result is now that you are subject to a yearly review consisting of blood tests, retinal screening, checking of legs and feet for circulation and a "discussion" with a dietician.

I've not had any of the symptoms, no treatment has been required.
But I am still flagged up on my records as being a diabetic.

Fifie

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:20:53 pm »

A warning note

I am a a sufferer for nearly 20 years
Problems manifest themselves in mysterious ways
I suffer from most of them plus having only sight in one eye I can only do detail work on good days

What ever you do listen to the medics and get your blood pressure and sugar levels down and keep them down

Fifie

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

Hi all this is my story so far, age 60 back in may , had blood test for PSA  now five months on going to portsmouth  to remove prostate, only symptom is going for a pee more,
please do not delay have it checked to day,  thats P.S.A.    regards   tony
t le b

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

Do the Poo test that comes through the post as well.
Better the Devil you know

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

Do the Poo test that comes through the post as well.
Better the Devil you know

Yes, I had that, tested positive so had a colonoscopy but they didn't find anything. Quite painless and you can watch it on video, first time I've ever been up myself! (no further comments please!)

Colin

garston1

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:35:17 am »

A warning note

I am a a sufferer for nearly 20 years
Problems manifest themselves in mysterious ways
I suffer from most of them plus having only sight in one eye I can only do detail work on good days

What ever you do listen to the medics and get your blood pressure and sugar levels down and keep them down

Fifie

I am exactly the same, blind in my right eye through getting shot when i was a child. Diabetic plus Chron's disease. I very rarely check my Diabetes and let life take its course. I think i should look after myself a bit more

Dekan

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:31:50 pm »

I certainly sympathize, a good friend of mine ignored his symptoms for years...Even though everybody, including me, told him that it wasn't normal to Pee every hour on the hour...

Now in his mid 50's he has had several operations on his eyes,they are still pretty poor,he now shuffles around like a 80year old....

Its a shame because I feel if he had done sometime about it 10 years ago, he might be in a lot better shape

BTW he responsible for my interest in R/C boats... as I won't fly R/C planes with him any more, he decided to take up boats...So I bought a boat to keep him company, as I now have to drive him about.

wideawake

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

Hi

My Father was a double amputee one leg above and the other below the knee.  It started with a small ulcer on one heel.  As far as I am concerned DIABETES is one of the worst dieseases.  Nobody should ignore the warning signs tiredness and an insatiable thirst are two.  At the first signs of this go to your Doctors.

Joe

Sorry to hear about your Dad Joe.   I'm type II myself and do take blood sugar control pretty seriously.   My own father (93) is also type II and recently nearly had to have a foot amputated because of an ulcerated heel.   Fortunately a femoral artery graft worked just well enough to allow the ulcer to heal.    He'd already lost the big toe on the other foot some years ago.

As someone said, it does seem to be the disease of the present age, though i suspect that a lot of it is due to better diagnosis.

Cheers

Guy

timsenecal

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 05:10:13 am »

I originally wrote this as a big long huge paragraph about a few things i have learned, but it all boils down to this:

I am a type I diabetic, first diagnosed over 30 years ago (diagnosed with "juvenile diabetes" as a juvenile - imagine that). 

I refuse to let diabetes become a crutch, an excuse for why i "can't" do something.

remember the cliche...   either you control the diabetes, or it controls you.

that is how i have lived my life, and I have all my appendages, and my eyesight, and a doctor's visit every 6 months, when he gets to draw blood and tell me I have no retinal neuropathy, and the feet of a healthy forty year old.

and when you control it, life isn't any different than it is for someone who isn't diabetic.  so stay on top of it please. for your own good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.