Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lettering on Barge model sails  (Read 3541 times)

rayna

lettering on Barge model sails
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:52:14 am »

;) I have just become the happy owner of  a 1:24 model thames barge with 2oz fibre spinaker poly sails in the traditional red colouring. Can anyone advise the best way to add white letters onto the sails.
thanks
rayna

spreet

Re: lettering on Barge model sails
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:51 am »

Hi there, wish I could have that luck. Presently building but have a major setback. The completed hull is so badly twisted, I don't think she'll see the water. Back to the question, although I haven't tried it, a suggestion would be Letraset, available from stationers and art shops.

Good luck with your new toy

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:23:11 am »

;) I have just become the happy owner of  a 1:24 model thames barge with 2oz fibre spinaker poly sails in the traditional red colouring. Can anyone advise the best way to add white letters onto the sails.
thanks
rayna

I cut a stencil from wide masking tape or from scrap Fablon , apply to sailcloth - making sure that surrounding area is also masked - and very lightly spray the desired colour through the stencil. When first application is dry repeat  the process  - but don't be heavy handed with succeeding oversprays - until required depth of colour is acquired. When all is dry carefully peel away stencil, position on the other side of sail and repeat the process.

WORD OF CAUTION .....Test on a small sample area of fabric if it is man made to ensure compatability between fabric and paint spray.....use enamel paint if in doubt.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:43:50 pm »

One of the fotos attached to my previous mail was too small to be of use  so I hope the attached enlargement of the same foto - though the lettering is slightly out of focus - will give a better idea of what can be achieved with DIY stencils.

tubby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:29:00 pm »

Barry's Model Lettering will do cut letters that are not (weeded) if requested , if you take out the letters you can use the vinyl as a mask for spaying the letters on to fabric.
I have tried it successfully in the past
Barry

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:57 pm »

Popeye, your Lady Jean looks marvellous.  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »

Popeye, your Lady Jean looks marvellous.  :-))

Andy

Thanks for the compliment Andy. She was a big'un but sailed beautifully, and loved a good breeze.

My next barge -after I've finished my current project, an 18th Century square rigger- will be 'James Piper', a 1:24 scale round bilged 'rocker' which should be very slippery and as fast as a greyhound.

rayna

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29:55 am »

:-))
Thanks all. i will have a go at the stencil option as it it easier to do. Yes agree that "Lady Jean "is splendid. What sail cloth is used on her ?. will keep the pics as i want to put a davit supported side slung dingy as well onto my model. "willowdown" will be her name as a storm last month pushed over a large willow in our back garden.
thanks all
Rayna

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:52:58 am »

:-))
Thanks all. i will have a go at the stencil option as it it easier to do. Yes agree that "Lady Jean "is splendid. What sail cloth is used on her ?. will keep the pics as i want to put a davit supported side slung dingy as well onto my model. "willowdown" will be her name as a storm last month pushed over a large willow in our back garden.
thanks all
Rayna

Sailcloth was 100% cotton GABARDINE, boiled several times before being dyed terra cotta. Don't forget to boil and dye the boltrope cordage failing which you'll risk the shrinkage which'll distort the finished sails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.