Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eu  (Read 2562 times)

regiment

eu
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »

why are we paying more money to the eu would we G B be better off with getting out  thats something to ponder about

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: eu
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »

EU = European peace, security, trade, freedom of movement and bastion of human rights.

Next question?

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Dueller

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:47:04 pm »

Given that we import more goods from Europe than we export, i dont think trade will suffer as Europe will still want to keep selling to us.
We have alwas had good securit relations with Europe (Interpol) and  i dont see the EU withdrawing information as the would still like the information we give them in return. Human rights would sta the same, no need for the EU or us to do things different whether we are in the EU or out of it. The freedom of movement might change but not that much.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »

Now that the "Subject That Dare Not Be Raised In Polite Society" has eventually (and, at last) poked its head over the wall........
It could be interesting to have a straw poll of forum members views (not a rant, more just a simple "yes" or "no") as to whether England (I specify England as our devolved consituent parts my have other ideas).
A "yes" for staying in on the present terms.
A "no" for leaving altogether.
A "P" for staying in with substantial alterations to the terms of membership.
     Personally, I think Norway is doing quite well without Mr Rumpey-pumpy and his cohorts.
I'm sure one of you computer wizards out there could come up with a system/table that would allow forum members to just add ticks to the boxes!
Obviously, this poll would be closed to "Furrin" members;- ie, Antipodeans, Americans and so on. Thoughts? Ideas?  BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »

I presume that you'd include residents of Scotland and Wales (Not specifically the Scots or the Welsh) as foreigners for this purpose.

Tony ok2

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »

Norway does well through having a huge oil and gas field.  When that runs out, they may well have other thoughts.  Switzerland does well through being a tax haven for bankers and other industrial grade thieves.  That might well change.
If you are neither within your local dominant economic group nor have a viable gimmick, you are headed for trouble.  If you are in that group, you get a say in how it is run (something that Harold MacMillan was well aware of when he was desperate to join at its inception), maybe not your full wish list, but you get a say.  If you are outside, you don't.

There might be 1 finger on the trigger, but there will be 15 fingers on the safety catch.
Harold MacMillan
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »

What do we manufacture that anyone wants to buy apart from Japanese cars?
We have to do as we are told by people we spent millions defending
Sorry I spoke
I'm Welsh

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:55 pm »

I voted to join the European Economic Community, a Trading Block and that is all.

Everything else has been foisted on us without so much as a by you leave.

The E.U. in my own opinion has now become a place of hiding for failed politico's. Where they can receive (nearly said earn) very good money for little or no effort.

It is my belief that if we could go back to the original concept then many more people would find this acceptable.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

regiment

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »

OK HEAD ABOVE THE WALL  I SAY OUT

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 09:10:16 pm »

These Isles have been in Europe from the dawn of history. We cannot avoid harmonising with our neighbours now or in the future. I am for being in + adopt the euro to prevent our minority £ currency being massively exploited in the amoral world money markets.
The Empire is now gone and most of the Commonwealth. We have given much of our ideas and ideals to the rest of the world and have a rich past which must'nt be allowed to prejudice our future......... we've fought with most other peoples at one time or another and for mostly good reasons at a good part of the time. Our European neighbours are now 'friendly'.... 

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:19 pm »

EU = European peace, security, trade, freedom of movement and bastion of human rights.

European peace/security = NATO. Always has been. The EU has shown themselves to be monumentally incompetent at war. Bosnia refers...

Trade - no issues. We were told we were joining a trading block...

Freedom of movement -  What do we have that we didn't have before? Apart being forced to accept lots of Eastern Europeans whether we want to or not...

Bastion of Human Rights - ?  It used to be the British who were free. Or are we talking about the kind of 'Human Rights' which allow you to sue your employer because it's raining....?

hmsantrim

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:06:07 am »

Hi.
     as far I remember We ie GB joined the "Common market" for a standardised trading policy with our european neighbours.

Not the EU, not to be joined at the hip to the rest of europe and to be dictated to by a bunch of UK unelected foreigners did the
      last genration not win two world wars to stop that happening.  Do we not pay the most to the EU gravy train and did the
      government not claw some money back a few years ago. Well done Mr Cameron for rallying the troops and telling them 2.9% or
      nothing why should the eurocrats gets 6% when we are cutting back in UK.

As far I can see all the EU has done is destroy our farming and fishing industry and we have inadvertantly contributed to that
     process by subsidising all the smaller european countries farmers to catch up with us.  Pity we are not like the French when their
     farmers are p i s s e d they go and blockade ports and motorways and they seem to get what they want.

Why do we need to pay for three different parliments telling us what to do EU, Westminster, & Local Govt??

>>:-(

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 08:52:53 am »

adopt the euro to prevent our minority £ currency being massively exploited in the amoral world money markets...

Um? The Euro has been regularly and massively exploited - mainly by Greece, Italy and Spain, who have over-borrowed on the strength of it, and left Germany and France to pick up the bill. If we were in it it would have been us, too. The Euro will not be run for our benefit, unlike the pound, where we can set our own interest rates and run our own economy. Look at Ireland. Here is a simple explanation of how being in the Euro means you lose control over your own economy: http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/allister-heath/how-the-euro-caused-ireland’s-crisis

...Why do we need to pay for three different parliments telling us what to do EU, Westminster, & Local Govt??

A very good point. You might add that Westminister has now lost (given away) much of its function - most laws are now driven by Brussels - but the parasites keep hanging on....

.. Well done Mr Cameron for rallying the troops and telling them 2.9% or nothing why should the eurocrats gets 6% when we are cutting back in UK.

Um...

1 - the European Commission and Parliament votes itself a 6% increase. It has to get agreement from the European Council for this.

2 - The European Council proposes a 2.9% increase. So the stage is set for a negotiation between these two figures.

3 - Cameron calls for a 0% increase in the UK. When he attends the European Commission he learns that they have already agreed 2.9%. Britain has a small (effectively zero) voice in these decisions. The final figure will probably be somewhere between these two.

4 - Cameron returns home, and claims that the 2.9%, which he had been told is the Council's first negotiating position, is 'a victory'.

Oh, and word on the Brussels streets is that Germany tried it on with a wet-behind-the-ears Cameron, and said 'If we support 'your' 2.9% proposal, will you agree to push through further treaty changes without a referendum? And, according to Die Welt, Cameron said 'Yes' ... http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article10601113/Fuer-Angela-Merkel-zeichnet-sich-ein-Punktsieg-ab.html refers...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.