Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin Atlantic Challanger 2 Info Sought  (Read 13410 times)

Alsonso

Virgin Atlantic Challanger 2 Info Sought
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

Hello All,

My first post to the forum and I hope that you all dont mind it being a request for help.

I have just purchased from ebay THE kit that I always wanted as a kid but was never allowed.

Now I have my own money (well I say mine but its really mine and wife's money) I have finally been allowed to acquire a Prestwich Models Virgin Atlantic Challanger 2 kit.

So the questions are......................

1) Are there any reviews for the model floating around anywhere

2) Has anyone built one and can show me some completed pictures and tips

3) Has any one any ref material or source for ref material for the vessel. The only pictures I can find are http://uk.boats.com/boat-details/indexB/Virgin-Atlantic-Challenger-2/111436601

Many thanks in advance for your help

debssnal

Re: Virgin Atlantic Challanger 2 Info Sought
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:57:08 pm »

Hi i put all the running gear in one for a mate
2x 1hp brushless motors.
goes and looks well
regards
Alan

Alsonso

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »

WOW  :-))

She looks a stunner in every way. May I ask what motors, batts etc you used to get this one shifting.

I had never seen a picture of one built other than the small black & white picture in the Prestwich Adverts of the time which was a small and grainy picture to say the least.

Very excited about getting my one now. 

rathikrishna

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:49:38 am »

Sir thanks for the posting...GREAT...always FASCINATING....thank you..

promocean

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:36 pm »

The big model is very nice! Never saw such a big VAC II model.
I've done a smaller one (and plan) in 1986 on base of a Graupner Portofino-hull.

john goodwin

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »

Hi all, this is my first response on the forum despite hanging around on it for some time.

I too have an interest in the Virgin Boats. Last year I found and puchased a book on ebay called 'Virgin Atlantic Challenge - 1986 The Blue Riband'.

Foreword by Richard Branson, published by Virgin Books in 1986 on completion of the successful crossingty

It has 76 pages in total and contains some superb pictures of the real thing in action and lots of supporting text concerning the build, technical aids andthe crossing.

Can't remember what I paid for it I seem to remember about £10

Amazon seems to have a couple advertised at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001KYZP7S/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1296499418&sr=1-6&condition=all

Hope this helps

John G

samuelmerry

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »

Hi,

What size is the hull? The reason i ask is that I have a mould (and a very tired hull), all be it in need of repair, for the VAC2 that, from what I remember is around the 50" mark.

From the info that I was given when I was given the hull and mould it was actually used to make the scale models used by Virgin for displays and possibly for scale water testing (this may or may not be true).

I have been looking into repairing or making a whole new mould by taking a cast of the existing one to either build into a VAC2 or to modify it and make a more raceable zenoah type boat, however, with a lack of glassing experience it is on the back burner for the moment.....

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

Hi all, I know this will not be any help to those of you wishing to build a model of the Virgin Atlantic Challengers but I thought I would tell you anyway. I was lucky enough to be going to the Isle of Wight on the ferry when VAC1 was being towed presumably for shake down tests and then I was down at Brighton Marina and VAC2 was in and allowing people to board the vessel which I did with the wife. Both these super opportunities and no camera.
Alan

promocean

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:29:11 pm »

Hi,

What size is the hull? The reason i ask is that I have a mould (and a very tired hull), all be it in need of repair, for the VAC2 that, from what I remember is around the 50" mark.

From the info that I was given when I was given the hull and mould it was actually used to make the scale models used by Virgin for displays and possibly for scale water testing (this may or may not be true).

I have been looking into repairing or making a whole new mould by taking a cast of the existing one to either build into a VAC2 ...

Hello,

will it be possible to get a copy of the original model hull, to build a scale rc model? I would like to have one original and no conversion.

Thank you for help,
Ernst

samuelmerry

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »

Not unless you can find someone to make a new mould from the kit I have!

The mould is in need of quite a bit of repair work and the only hull I have from this mould is very tatty with large amounts of bridging between the gel coat and fibreglass and in no fit state to ever be a running hull. I guess that is why i was given it!

I am very busy with work at the moment and just do not have the time to learn how to repair, mould and finish fibreglass. Isn't that always the way! :((

The absolute earliest I will be able to look at doing all this will be at least mid summer and then I would not be able to guarantee the quality of my work....

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »

as you are/ were a member of pegasus do you not have bernard holders details ? he moulds hulls for use in the omra racing , hes only down at thornbury so not far from you  !

phillnjack

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »

there has been loads of these boats around.
There is as far as i know 2 sizes, 1 around 36 inch size and one about 48 inch.
If memory serves me right the hulls are made in abs not fibre glass.
the tops are wooden and they are in kit form.

Ive definitely seen them in the flesh,and i think they look good.
I was thinking of buyine one ,but abs put me offat the time as i wanted to use petrol or nitro.

also seen a couple on fleabay as well, think they were the little ones

phill

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough

promocean

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »

No Virgin, but Azimut Atlantic Challenger.

Another question:
 the hull of Gentry Eagle looks alike the VAC II - hull, only bigger. And from this type there are several model boats as kits. A very big one with correct deck lines from Kehrer Jet drive, Berlin, 1/20th scale. A smaller one 1/30th with a too sharp nose from the same manufacturer and in the late 80ties there was a US-kit of the Gentry made in polystyrene with vacuformed parts. From this 1/30 kit I did my Andrew Winch yacht version. And the hull looks similar.

phillnjack

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

HS 93   the boat on ebay is not a Virgin Atlantic challenger

it is in fact the  Azimut Atlantic Challeger

2 totaly different boats

the seller just dont know the difference between the 2 boats.

The Virgin boat DID cross the atlantic, but the azimut challenger didnt

Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »

Topic moderated - Lets keep it very polite as were all gentlemen here..... except the ladies!

Martin - Admin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

phillnjack

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »

I think it needed to be in large uppercase so as to make sure nobody went and bid on something that was not as advertised

and i dont think there is anything wrong in putting somebody right when they are clearly wrong.

by the way the boat didnt even get a bid, shame coz it was very very cheap

phill :-))

samuelmerry

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:44:34 am »

Sorry for the delayed reply, have been out of the country for the last week....

as you are/ were a member of pegasus do you not have bernard holders details ? he moulds hulls for use in the omra racing , hes only down at thornbury so not far from you  !

No I don't as i was only a member for a very short amount of time, I have sought help from various places but everybody is so busy these days!

phillnjack

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:38 am »

Here is a virgin atlantic challenger on ebay

49 inch fibraglass boat

here is the link to it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Radio-Controlled-Kit-Virgin-Atlantic-Challenger-2-/160549602382?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item256180844e

i think a bit pricey, but if its what somebody needs ??

phill

Chin00k

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

I have lots and lots of photos, pictures and even the original Virgin brochure but sadly no boat!!

Happy to share the info I have, some of it came from Virgin, I wrote to Richard Branson in 1989 and he kindly replied with a few bits of info as did Steve Ridgeway (one of the crew). Sadly I never had time to get started on the model but am keen to now after years of collecting....

The vessesl herself is for sale, she is currently sitting in a boat yard in Spain so if you have a spare £250,000 you can buy the real thing.

Really liked the large model pictured, would welcome any info if you know where I can get hold of one. Had a look at the one on E bay and got some extra pics but it doesn't seem a very accurate representation to me.

Challenger Boy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »

Please go to www.challengers2.co.uk you will find it very interesting
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.