Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guns and more guns  (Read 4991 times)

pugwash

Guns and more guns
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »

Following a recent visit to the Explosion Museum at Gosprt I managed to get about 70 photographs of the following
naval guns -  20 mm single Oerlikon ( no details given of mounting but appears to be similar to what was fitted latterly
to Leander class etc, 20 mm twin Oerlikon c.1944 mk. XIIA mounting,  40 mm single Mk N1 on Mk 7 mounting
hotchkiss Q.F. 3 pounder Mk1 c.1885  Hotchkiss Q.F. on High Angle mounting c.1940,  Seacat quad mounting,
4.5 single No mounting details given but very similar to mounts fitted on "C" destroyers etc But had illumination rocket
rails fitted on both sides of mounting and finally Squid anti-submarine mortar.
As there are too many to go on the thread I will put on any which you may find of use.  Just let me know.
Unfortunately they are not all as I  would have liked as they cram the exibits too close together.

Geoff

pugwash

Re: Guns and more guns
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »

Just discovered the 4.5 mounting is a Mk 5 and with the rocket rails was fitted to the modern
tribal class frigates 

deerstalker36

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:51:07 am »

Hi Geoff,
I'd be interested in the 20mm single oerlikon as i'm in the process (very slowly) of building HMS Jupiter

:-))

Colin

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:01:32 am »

Colin here are the best of a bad bunch - the lighting was brilliant

Geoff

deerstalker36

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »

Nice one Geoff  :-))

Looks like i gotta try and take my ones apart now as i have the barrel and breachblock too far back  <:(

Colin

Ted_H

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:29 pm »

Geoff.. I've just discovered your post after being away for some time. Hope I'm not too late with my request
I'd be interested in the pics of the rocket launchers on the side of the 4.5 and also the secat quad launcher.. both of which will be on my model Tribal.

Thanks

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:26 am »

Ted, Hope these will do I have culled a lot of my pics from 2 yrs ago - the 4.5 mounting pics are OK but the lighting was not good
near the Seacats but there are plenty of photos around of them.
If you give me a day or two I am sure I can find a picture of the Lookout sights that you requested on your other post.
I am just about to start making them for my Leopard build
Geoff

Ted_H

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »

Geoff. Thank you very much for providing those photos. They hold a great amount of detail. It's particuarly usefull to see the 4.5 turret too. This isnt a fitting thats available other than from Ron Dean and there isn't many detailed phots of this gun available.

As you rightly say there are many photos of Seacat but not all taken with a model makers eye..They also came with many differing height mounts but to see one close up as in your pictures is usefull.

Thanks again
Ted :police:

farrow

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

Hi reading your thread on Tribals 4.5,s. Thought this pic may interest you, it is the Eskimo when berthed alongside at Pembroke Dock, she was being used for target practice.

Ted_H

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:26:14 pm »

Thanks Dodes thats an interesting picture, lots of detail and the colour scheme is most useful

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:19:04 am »

Think you will find the turret gun is a 4.7"  I do this in 1/96 and am currently doing it in 1/72 but with the original flat fronted turret

Ted_H

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:30 am »

Thanks John, thats interesting to know, when I started this build (10 years ago!) there was only Deans doing it in 19/6

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:26 am »

4.5 guns on the Tribals not 4.7.

Ned (First Commission HMS Eskimo 63-64)

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 10:07:33 am »

Maybe for your post-war period but as I major on the period until 1850 to 1950 , I was refering to the  previous Tribals who had twin 4.7's. The picture shows only the RH gun of a double mount with the LH missing .
John Lambert has a drawing of this mount entitled as  4.7's . This Tribal twin 4.7 mount is available in 1/96 on my shop and also as a single

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

The 4.5 on the tribal Frigates built in the early 60's was a single 4.5 gun in a mounting as opposed to a twin 4.5 turret.
They had one on the Forecastle and one on the Quarterdeck.
The photo that Dodes shows is the complete single gun.
Pugwash has also posted a photo of the 4.5 single.
John Lambert does have drawings of 4.5MkIV gun on a MkV Mod 2 Mounting Dwg L/0/14
Wartime gun later reissued to Tribal Class Frigates
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 22 queries.