Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peat for Fuel...  (Read 4173 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Peat for Fuel...
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:03:57 am »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here know of a supplier in the northwest of England who supplies peat fuel- either Turves or processed brickettes?

Plenty of supply chains in Ireland and Scotland, but since local cutting stopped round here years ago no-one seems to sell it.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Wasyl

Re: Peat for Fuel...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:23:01 am »

Th closest supplier to you,??? might be here,and depending on how much you want,they might be able to deliver

Wullie

Firewood Fuel / Peat Fuel / Log Supplier Name:ChopsticksAddress:Endeavour House, Thurston Rd, Northallerton, DL6 2NATelephone:01609 777292
another alternative is wood briquettes,..i use these,and they are good,and they give out more heat than logs or peat,

Briquettes  (packed or bulk bags)- highly compressed sawdust, super density wood fuel, 1 tonne of briquettes is equivalent to 4.12 tonnes of air dried logs. Price comparison 1 tonne of briquettes equals £85 per (real) tonne of logs. This would be about 8 pickup truck loads so you save on handling and storage too. Use much less kindling so further savings there

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:13 am »

we have 36 acres of trees that need thinning here.... you are welcome to come chop some down for winter fuel, tho I think postage might be a little pricey  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:36:16 pm »

Firewood Fuel / Peat Fuel / Log Supplier Name:ChopsticksAddress:Endeavour House, Thurston Rd, Northallerton, DL6 2NATelephone:01609 777292
another alternative is wood briquettes,..i use these,and they are good,and they give out more heat than logs or peat,

Briquettes  (packed or bulk bags)- highly compressed sawdust, super density wood fuel, 1 tonne of briquettes is equivalent to 4.12 tonnes of air dried logs. Price comparison 1 tonne of briquettes equals £85 per (real) tonne of logs. This would be about 8 pickup truck loads so you save on handling and storage too. Use much less kindling so further savings there

Thanks Wooly %) I've looked on Google I don't know how long and the guys in Northallerton never came up! I'll give them a ring I think, they aren't too far from here.

I'm very familiar with the compressed sawdust logs- we fire SY Gondola on them {-) So believe me you don't need to extoll the virtues of them to me, I'm converted. However, we have an open fire at home and a small hearth- the compressed sawdust logs when burnt expand to around duble their size- meaning you have to break them up. This makes loads of sawdust go everywhere, and I don't feel safe with a fuel in an open grate that expands.

The main reason for peat is that it burns hotter than logs (in the processed brickette form) and burns for a long time- I need something to bank up overnight to stop the fireplace and wall going cold, this keeps the house just ticking over and means we don't use the heating unless it's really cold. However if the fire-wallgets cold it takes around 3-4 hours to heat up again!

Ned,

These are the only suppliers I could find in England, but I have a feeling that they would be expensive to deliver as it's quite a way to deliver. I'll see how Wullie's tip goes, I may get a quote from BFO's anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

wbeedie

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »

geta bag of coal dross and dampen it , it wll burn for longer than peats and probably cheaper as well in the long runall it is is dust and small grains of coal and folks up in the highlands and north of Scotland use it all the time

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:57:07 am »

Hi Wbeedie,

I've not heard of that one before. Would it be normally burnt on a grate or on the hearth?

Greg

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:25:23 pm »

I remember back in the good? old days of draughty sash windows and coal fires
that my Dad used to bank up the fire with a shovel or two of damp dust,shut the
louvres to cut down the air and the fire stayed in all night. Uses up all the dust in the
bottom of the coalhouse.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:34:00 pm »

Likewise,and it,ll burn in an open grate as well as a stove,....just remember Greg,...only damp,and put it on what was a well established fire,then close the chimney to but a peep,...don,t want you gassing yourself,

Wullie

wbeedie

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:51 pm »

Both Wullie and Ned have explained it well,  the dross is the way to go a few years back it was about £4 a bag up north and would last a couple of weeks , all you do is last thing at night stick a shovel of coal or whatever fuel you use and get some damp dross  and cover the other stuff and bobs yer uncle never bothered about closing or opening the top of the fire mind you mines was a stove type fire with a dampener dial on the side used to leave it at the first setting all through the year  as it supplied our hot water , the only night the fire was left to go out was a Saturday night so the ashes that were left were cold in the morning

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »

Thanks again guys, I'm going to give that a go- can't see our local merchant charging for the dross, I wouldn't imagine many people use it.

Funny how these little traditions get lost in translation, something that once would have been commonplace in peopls lives has skipped a generation, and now gas and electric are getting more expensive solid fuels are becoming popular again we are having to re-learn them.

Perhaps this tradition stems from putting damp peat on the fire overnight- I've heard of that one before.

Thanks again.

Greg

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »

Just remember chaps incomplete combustion of any type of fossil fuel means only one thing.

CARBON MONOXIDE.

Beware of closing the flue damper, always leave it open enough to ensure the products of combustion can easily get away.

Also if you have any purpose made air vents into the room make sure they are not blocked in any way.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 05:36:42 pm »

In case you did,nt see it Greg here it is again
then close the chimney to but a peep,...don,t want you gassing yourself

Wullie

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »

Don't worry we havn't got a flue damper- although with my heating engineer qual's I am fairly intimate with avoidance of CO production %)

Also if you have any purpose made air vents into the room make sure they are not blocked in any way.

Yes Colin- you'll be meaning the gaps around the windows and doors that aren't UPVC yet!!!! <*<

Although looking back, all the advice you guys have told me is just a load of dross {-)

Thanks again guys.

Greg

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »

Greg,

You obviously understand the problems but as your in the trade you will well know that some people only put CO poisoning together with gas. O0 O0

When ever I see a thread like this I like to point out the potential problems. After all with our world wide membership we never know just who's reading this.

Better I think that the possible problems are explained here than in a decompression chamber and that if your lucky. :-)) :-))

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:42 am »

Quite right too Colin- not many people know that CO from solid fuel is still the biggest CO killer in domestic properties!

I remember going to a womans house a couple of years ago, she had problems with her fire drawing- it would send smoke into the room ALL the time! When we investigated we found that contractors had capped the wrong chimney when they had changed the dining room around! For about 4 yeras she had complained of headaches and feeling nauseous when she lit the fire- an open grate to boot- when we told her they were the beginnings of CO poisoning and that she shouldn't use the fire she refused to believe us!!!! As you'll know you can't put a warning sign on solid fuel so we just had to leave her hoping she would still be there when we went back!

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.