Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonbeam/J Class (sort of)  (Read 18809 times)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Moonbeam/J Class (sort of)
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:44 am »

Sorry, I do not seem to have kept any of the photos of mine although I thought I put a couple in to an old post while building her. We are sailing on Sunday so I will take some both on and off the water and post them Sunday night. Cheers, Ian.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:11 pm »

Hi all, Just looked at the photo build of the 8 foot loa Endeavour, very impressive.

This is a representation of the current restored Endeavour though.  I would venture to suggest that the two foresails, one being the 'quadrilateral'  of the 1934 Endeavour do look better.

The new Endeavour does sit a foot lower in the water than the original and has a nice big propeller that cuts into the rudder.  I like props on yachts, very good for guaranteeing lunch on time!
kind regards Roy

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

What stunning workmanship.

How much would a model like that be worth?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 04:54:38 am »

I did not bother to get the J out of the car today so there are no on the water shots but here are a couple of shots (I hope)  in the shed out of the rain. This is the Canterbury J 48" overall. I have built mine with wooden spars but all the others use alloy. I have a small cabin over the rudder pivot but have not yet got around to building the semi - scale cabin and cockpit on top of the hatch. She has a Hi-Tech winch with a pulley under the deck to keep the above deck clutter to a minimum. Cheers, Ian.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 04:56:54 am »

Second photo that did not go last time. Cheers, Ian

Prophet

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:03 am »

try here for a 45" j class hull £70 not bad and choice of finish
http://www.orionmouldings.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1148325

meyer

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 05:18:28 pm »

Doesnt look much like a "J" to me

Prophet

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 06:36:12 pm »

>>:-( dunno it looks like it then it dont the keel is defiantly not looking right in the pic.. it may be the photo angle .... best bet contact and ask for a set of hull pics b4 commting to £££   {:-{

hmsantrim

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

Hi prophet.
                  Meyer is right the orion mouldings hull is not a J class the bow is the wrong shape, I am sure you can see that by looking at
                the pix above.

cheers Frank 

Prophet

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 08:27:39 am »

you after looking closer... its not the J class, dunno whats thats called ... False Advertisment?

hmsantrim

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »

Hi prophet.
                   more like the seller got hold of a plug turned out a hull and as the name "heinz 57" was already taken they couldent very
                   well  call it mongrel.  I don`t think they know what it is so someone has probably googled yacht pix and thrown a dart at
                   the screen and its landed on J class so they have went with that. 

Its obviously a pre 1950`s hull design as the full keels were on the way out by that time to be replaced by the fin and bulb.

cheers Frank.. ok2

dave301bounty

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »

You Guys want to see a fella in New brighton ,the Js he has made ,bread and butter ,he is a retired yacht /profesional /builder .I was at his place last week looking at his latest .Bread butter of the brittannia .48 inch long .lovely job .and he has put 3 coats of varnish on ,no finished yet .very meticulous ..he has a milliner for a neighbour .makes his sails ,I get the cloth over here at Liverpool ,very scarce the right stuff ,eygyptian cotton ,,i think ,but it is amazing to see his work ..strickly a yacht man ..

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »

you after looking closer... its not the J class, dunno whats thats called ... False Advertisment?

Looks to me more like a Grand Banks fishing schooner than anything else! Definitely nowhere near a "J".

Orion Mouldings also do a 25" long naval cutter hull which looks quite interesting... anyone know how good the included plans are?

tony23

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 04:09:04 pm »

I spoke with a very well known dealer today who makes mainly hulls and told him there could be a market for a 'J' class hull if he poduced one but he told me he would never produce a 'J' hull as the boat would be over sheeted (or sailed) like the full size and a scale hull would not work on the model.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »

The Americans on their 9 ft hulls add 2" to the depth of the keel to help with this problem.

http://www.classicsailboatmodels.com/

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

hmsantrim

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 02:32:17 am »

Hi All.
         just looking at the last two comments, why do people create problems where none should exist why over canvas your rig to the
        extent that it affects the handling qualities of your model??  Beats the hell out of me???

The full size yachties reduce the ammount of canvas to suit the weather conditions, the model yacht racers from
        36r to A class have @ 4 different rigs to chose from.. why cant a scale model yacht do the same, we invoke modelers licence
         to plenty of other things .

cheers Frank

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:36 am »

They possibly do reduce their rig Frank, but they also want the yacht to be scale.
Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 11:27:30 am »

The Canterbury J's made by the Christchurch club have three different rigs in their racing rules. I am only a fair weather sailor so have not bothered to build a smaller rig but the big rig is useable in a moderate breeze no problem. Above that I pack up and go home, it is getting unpleasant by the anyway!

tony23

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »

thought this might keep the interest up with you guys building your 'J's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SDflJdsdM

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:01 pm »

I have just finished reading 'Enterprise to Endeavour' the story of the original 'J' boats.

One big criticism of the later 'J's is that they were mostly only sailed in light airs, many times the race would be cancelled as the skippers did not like to sail in stronger winds.
Several reasons for this, not least was being dismasted.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tony23

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:02 am »

it may be of some interest the 'J' Class National Championships  2010 in Vernon Hills IL, USA was last weekend just look at the size of these beautiful boats.  :-)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmOYBDZINJ0[/QUOTE]

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

Hello
Thought you might like to see a New Zealand J in action.
We have 3 in the club and one on the stocks.
They sail very well in weedy conditions and will stand a fair wind too. They also look very attractive too and with the Bermuda rig they point quite well
The mould for producing the hull have been bought by one of our members and he intends to market them, in the very near future.
He is looking at producing a hull with integral fin, to fill with shot, rather than the attached lead weight.
He will also probably be selling a complete kit to finish the hull and maybe even a set of sails.javascript:void(0);
If you are in our area, Nottingham you would be very welcome to visit our lake at Colwick and see the boats performing.
Any questions just ask
Terry

Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.