Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Form over Function  (Read 5448 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Form over Function
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has yet mentioned any of the Russian ships from the cold-war era. To my mind, warching them at sea, they always exuded a soert of beautiful menace.Apart from just looking "right", they also seemed to epitomise what a ship buit for war should look like. If they actually worked as well as they looked could be another matter. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:10 pm »

The Sverdlov 6'' cruisers certainly had a style about them Bryan but whether they were able to protect themselves in the era they were built is questionable. As a ww2 era cruiser design they would have been fairly decent but being built post ww2 with the advent of missiles and fast jets I would doubt that they would have survived very long in combat.

The Kirov class CGN's are fast , nuclear powered , carry a large amount of heavyweight anti-aircraft carrier missiles , they do have decent self protection against missiles and aircraft ( including being alleged to have carried lasers which were to be used to burn out the optics in heat seeking missiles and to blind attacking jet pilots ). I think only 1 of the 4 built is still in commission ( Peter the Great ) but just how good they are compared to the best cruisers in the US Navy is open to question. Undoubtedly good looking ships but whether the weapons systems onboard would be as effective as claimed is something I guess I'd never want to find out as they were built to fight against NATO lol
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Nordsee

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 09:46:58 am »

Colin,..for me the Scharnhorst was beauty personified,...I do know where your coming from,and admit that there are many other ships that can be viewed as beautiful, but for me it was Her,...I have a shelf full of books on most of the German ships of WW11, and the same goes for German Tanks,and armour and ordinance,
In fact I don,t think I have one book on British or allied weaponry....probably the German influences showing through from my father,...who fought on the Eastern Front,43/45,and lived to tell the tale,

Wullie
One of the most attractive Warships that ever were has to be the French Battleships of WW2. Really great looking ships.  Re the dearth of British ships or wepons being modelled it is because of lack of interest in them. To see Diaramas at modelling shows would give the impression that the war was between Germany and USA !!
 I was , upto a couple of years ago, involved in production and sales of model Kits of Military subjects. If you wanted a sure fire seller, model something German. No matter what! At one Show, as a joke, we advertised that our next model would be that of an Armoured Assault Wheelbarrow, As used on the Eastern Front, We had 19 firm orders for the kit when it was ready!!
 As a matter of plain fact, none of the German Capitle Ships were very succesfull, all being sunk of bottled up in Norwegian Fjords while the Brits slowly knocked bits off them! Any that did brave a Breakout were very smartly disposed of.

iron99

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 02:28:13 pm »

I'm not sure if the functions were as good, or better than the form, but I loved the look of the Royal Navy Type 12 frigates. In my opinion some of the best looking ships I've seen. I also like the Type 45s, great looking ships.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

Type 21 Frigates

Function Flawed but Form Fabulous
The Fifties Darings looked pretty good also.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »

Having asked the original question it now seems to me that it was a bit daft in the first place.

There seem to be lots of 'beautiful' ships but so few have really  proven their function that there isn't enough evidence to get a true picture. Personally I agree with Nordsee that the French battleships and heavy cruisers of WW2 were stunners (and that's not because I'm a Francophile - I just like free plans!) but there is little to show whether they actually worked.

Tony
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.