Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Masking Tape Trials and Tribulations  (Read 13289 times)

Richard M

Re: Masking Tape Trials and Tribulations
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

Thanks, not sure if I dare do that.

Richard

Chuffy

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »

I sprayed up a trial piece first, well two really. The first was good but I did not do it in one stroke, I hesitated in the middle this left a small finger print. The second was perfect I grabbed the bull by the horns and went for it and success! Unless Stavros's posts have been deleted do a search, he explains it a lot better than I have, believe me it's worth it if you can master the technique.

Paul.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »

And also a tip that Stavros posted some time ago, as soon as you have removed the tape, lightly and quickly wipe a clean finger along the painted edge and you will find that the little edge left where the paint meets the masking tape will vanish...........magic! It does need a bit of nerve though the first time you do it, sticking your finger on paint that is still a wee bit soft and actually improving the finish. The trick is however to keep the finger moving over the paint and not stop on the paint, and lift the finger off while still moving.

Paul.

you only have to do things like that if you remove the tape far to late, all he was doing is pushing the peeled paint to the hull, not advisable.

peter

Chuffy

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 10:06:37 pm »

Peter

You may well be right, I haven't looked at his posting, this was the advise he gave me to blend the edge of the grey (above the waterline) to the black (below the waterline on my Osprey armed trawler as no white line was required which would cover the edge. As he had already told me to remove the tape as soon as possible and therefore the edge would have still been soft enough to be smoothed down, I can't see for the life of me why this is not advisable. If you have removed the tape far too late then I would think you would need a hammer to knock it down,  not something I'm in the habit of doing.

Paul.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 08:10:16 am »

Spray a light coat of the colour under the mask along the edge and let dry before continuing with the required colour
Any bleed then will be the same colour as the masked area

Ned

This is the same as what i do

Also beware of cheap "pound shop" tapes.  Ive had some problems with it pulling off the paint when removed
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:59 am »

Peter

You may well be right, I haven't looked at his posting, this was the advise he gave me to blend the edge of the grey (above the waterline) to the black (below the waterline on my Osprey armed trawler as no white line was required which would cover the edge. As he had already told me to remove the tape as soon as possible and therefore the edge would have still been soft enough to be smoothed down, I can't see for the life of me why this is not advisable. If you have removed the tape far too late then I would think you would need a hammer to knock it down,  not something I'm in the habit of doing.

Paul.

the only reason you would have to push it down is because you have removed it to late, and if it is still liquid a wet finger would just make a smudge.

Peter

Chuffy

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 10:03:04 am »

Re the magic finger, this is what I'm talking about...............this was the question

Hi all

Now I am swayed by all those who know what they are doing in regards to painting. It would seem that the greater majority on the forum use the grey primer as the paint of choice for Naval craft and the reddish primer for the water line or underside of the boat. Now me wanting to know everything before I start a project would like to know a few things. When you spray the boat with the grey primer you obviously spray the whole boat and then mask off the top half to spray the red primer for the lower half. It has been my experience that when unmasking after the paint job that a visable line and thickness of the differant paint is promanant.  Would the covering in a clear coat fix that problem or just make it stand out more. I want to put a clear coat in satin over the whole boat. Also I hear various brands of clear coat and primers but they all seam to be UK only does anyone know of the Australian equivalent.

Sorry if some or all of these questions have been already covered.

Regards David

And this was the reply.

Right simple my friend one of Stav's top tips comming up,yes there is a distinct line between both primers BUT the remedy is simple as soon as you have damasked make sure you have a CLEAN finger does not matter which one and rub with finger along the  join this will flatten the join and will be practically impossible to detect the step.
Oh sorry nearly forgot I usually demask a max of 10 mins aftrer painting so i can do the above method ,and you have to be BRAVE AND GENTLE

Stavros

The reason why I posted on this thread was that I thought that it might contribute to the proceeding a little, getting rid of that little step that is left when removing the masking tape.  As Stavros has pointed out above the trick is to damask at the right time, when the paint is neither too soft nor too hard.

It works for me.

Paul

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 10:43:39 am »

Re the magic finger, this is what I'm talking about...............this was the question

Hi all

Now I am swayed by all those who know what they are doing in regards to painting. It would seem that the greater majority on the forum use the grey primer as the paint of choice for Naval craft and the reddish primer for the water line or underside of the boat. Now me wanting to know everything before I start a project would like to know a few things. When you spray the boat with the grey primer you obviously spray the whole boat and then mask off the top half to spray the red primer for the lower half. It has been my experience that when unmasking after the paint job that a visable line and thickness of the differant paint is promanant.  Would the covering in a clear coat fix that problem or just make it stand out more. I want to put a clear coat in satin over the whole boat. Also I hear various brands of clear coat and primers but they all seam to be UK only does anyone know of the Australian equivalent.

Sorry if some or all of these questions have been already covered.

Regards David

And this was the reply.

Right simple my friend one of Stav's top tips comming up,yes there is a distinct line between both primers BUT the remedy is simple as soon as you have damasked make sure you have a CLEAN finger does not matter which one and rub with finger along the  join this will flatten the join and will be practically impossible to detect the step.
Oh sorry nearly forgot I usually demask a max of 10 mins aftrer painting so i can do the above method ,and you have to be BRAVE AND GENTLE

Stavros

The reason why I posted on this thread was that I thought that it might contribute to the proceeding a little, getting rid of that little step that is left when removing the masking tape.  As Stavros has pointed out above the trick is to damask at the right time, when the paint is neither too soft nor too hard.

It works for me.

Paul

Paul,

:-)) :-)) :-))
Thank you.
Went looking for Stavros thread but couldn't find it.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:07 am »

I stopped reading his threads after reading him telling people to use any electrical tape to mask with over new paint, I think he may have seen Professionals use plastic fine line tape which is a low tack and designed to be easily removed as opposed to permanent fix.

the problem you get on hear is that if someone offers the method they use and works for them  someone comes back and says  "my uncle Johny or whoever says your wrong"  etc

Peter

Chuffy

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

Errrrrrrm, just like your doing Peter ?

At the end of the day you take all the advice you can get, you try a few things out and if one little gem of wisdom  works for you that's the way you do it. If you choose to stop reading threads by a particular poster thats fine, if however, I choose to pass on the helpful (to me ) tips from the same poster then that by nature of the 'equation of debate',  must also be fine. This thread's going a bit off topic now and I'm sure that Richard has plenty to chew over, so over and out Biggles!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 08:41:46 am »

Saw an advert for this last night, anyone tried it?

http://www.frogtape.com/Products.aspx
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pugwash

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09:47 am »

Hi Martin never seen this one but it looks identical to the stuff I get from my local decorating shop and
which works very well and has lots of suppliers in U.K.

Geoff
http://www.cttgroup.com/cantech/en/products/52/3/104/

gwa84

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 01:17:32 am »

i use this stuff on petrol tanks for fine masking gives a very crisp line and doesn't peal away fresh painted surfaces  :-))

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Masking-Tape-Micro-Low-Residue-Blue-3-Rolls-x-2mm-/250730901924?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3a60b9f1a4

stag 707

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »

Hello All
Please excuse this daft question but when painting the water line, is it better to paint the (white) water line first then mask, and then paint the top and bottom colours, or paint the top and bottom colours first then mask , and then paint the ( white) waterline. {:-{ {:-{

Stavros

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 09:46:28 pm »

To be perfectly honest with you it doesn't really matter.my Personal choice is to put the waterline on last.BUT if you are doing this the make sure you use a proper tape to mask it up.
TOP TIP

Get some 1/4 inch INSULATING tape,available form most electrical suppliers,use this FIRST to mark the waterline then apply a std masking tape on top of this and then mask up the rest of the hull.NOW within around 5 to 10 Min's of spraying the white waterline DEMASK the whole lot ,This is where you have to be VERY BRAVE and have CLEAN fingers.As soon as you have removed all the tape run your finger along the waterline where the raised edge is,what this will do is flatten the ridge of paint making it less obvious.Trust me it works...ask TUG KENNY on here

Stav

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 10:05:11 pm »

Hello All
Please excuse this daft question but when painting the water line, is it better to paint the (white) water line first then mask, and then paint the top and bottom colours, or paint the top and bottom colours first then mask , and then paint the ( white) waterline. {:-{ {:-{

Personally, I feel its better to paint the water line first. Its usually white, and is therefore an easier colour to cover than the usual black or red for above and below the water line. Too, your masking tape can be purchased at the correct , consistent width, to mask off the water line with a constant width. That's very hard to do with separate pieces of masking segregating the upper and lower colours. Doing it this way you tend to end up with a boot line of varying widths around the vessel.

John

stag 707

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »

Hello All

Thanks Guys for the prompt reply
I'm about to paint the hull of sir Walter Raleigh, rover red below the waterline, and Brunswick green above with a white boot topping, I think I'm going to go for the paint the water line last method so I am able to remove the twin (Tamiya) masking tape while the paint is still tacky and use the finger method  :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 10:35:09 pm »

I am building Sir Walter Raleigh at the moment and used Trimiine tape for the waterline and for the riband around the top of the hull.

Much easier!

Colin

stag 707

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »

Nice Job so far Colin like the door detail
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.