Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Portholes  (Read 8449 times)

Sandy

Portholes
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:19 pm »

Hi,

As a newbie/novice, I have been reading as many threads as I can find about portholes and the fact that everyone seems keen to drill holes in their hulls and then worry/fret about sealing them up.

Is there any way of making or representing portholes without actually drilling holes through the hull?

The ship I am interested in modelling has not many portholes but they are low down near the waterline and I am not hugely keen on having holes (even sealed) there.

The hull will be black, so is there any good way of,say, painting on a porthole? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

Lord Bungle

Re: Portholes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:52 pm »

newbe to all this myself, my boat doesn't have them but a quick look on the Bay of E turned these up, not sure if they are of any use
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Model-boat-fitting-Ships-brass-Porthole-7mm-diameter-/350329965445?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item51914b0b85#ht_2165wt_754

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »

Drilling holes isn't always the best method. The photo below shows my Fishery Cruiser Brenda (still incomplete!). The portholes you can see are made by first making up rings of brass wire by winding it around a former of the correct diameter, cutting off individual rings and soldering the ends together. If you look around craft shops you might actually find rings of the correct size. The rings are then superglued to the finished hull surface. Then I take a sheet of clear polystyrene and paint one side dark blue. The next step is to punch out discs from the plastic using a leather punch or appropriately sized hole punch. The final stage is to put a dab of polyurethane varnish into the circle of each ring and gently push the plastic disc in painted side down.

Brenda is 1/48th scale. For smaller scales you may be able to get away with simply punching out discs from self adhesive blue vinyl Trimline tape and simply sticking them on which is what I shall be doing with my 1/150th scale liner model.

Colin

Lord Bungle

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »

I think any method that gets away from having to drill holes near the waterline should be used, As Colin has just shown a carefully applied bit of paint and a bit of know how will save drilling holes

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:06:58 pm »

Drilling holes isn't always the best method. The photo below shows my Fishery Cruiser Brenda (still incomplete!). The portholes you can see are made by first making up rings of brass wire by winding it around a former of the correct diameter, cutting off individual rings and soldering the ends together. If you look around craft shops you might actually find rings of the correct size. The rings are then superglued to the finished hull surface. Then I take a sheet of clear polystyrene and paint one side dark blue. The next step is to punch out discs from the plastic using a leather punch or appropriately sized hole punch. The final stage is to put a dab of polyurethane varnish into the circle of each ring and gently push the plastic disc in painted side down.

Brenda is 1/48th scale. For smaller scales you may be able to get away with simply punching out discs from self adhesive blue vinyl Trimline tape and simply sticking them on which is what I shall be doing with my 1/150th scale liner model.

Colin

Neat, very neat
 :-)) :-)) :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:33 pm »

James Lane who makes the railings produces exterior fitting portholes in most popular sizes.
Unfortunately no website.

JAMES LANE (Dispay Models)
30 Broadway
Blyth
Northumberland
NE24 2PP

Bob
Officially a GOG.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:00:39 pm »

....The portholes you can see are made by first making up rings of brass wire by winding it around a former of the correct diameter, cutting off individual rings and soldering the ends together.....
Colin

if you make the rings out of copper wire you can tap each one with a hammer before fitting, and get a flat disk rather than a rounded one...

TomTheKraut

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:01:48 pm »

Hello Team,
... I like the "glue-on" portholes to Colin's design.
However, if you want to have the portholes illuminated, you won't be able to avoid the holes.  <:(

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

Many thanks for the replies, especially Colin. (thanks for the photo also. Any chance of a close up of one please?).

Did you experiment with various shades of blue and settle on a dark one as being best? Any chance of a close up of one please?

I now recall that many of the shipbuilders models in the Glasgow Transport Museum used blue disks for portholes (but that was years ago. I am sure the last time I saw many of them was when they were in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Looking forward to seeing them again when the new building opens next year).

All the best
Sandy

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:38 pm »

Oh..god great..one more head ache is rectified...thank you all for the nice informations...

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

How about using multicore solder rather than brass/copper wire. It is easier to wind round the former, seems to stick well, flattens more easily with an 'ammer and you can cut it off the former with a stanley knife. You can even trim the ends square with the same knife. It also follows any hull contours better in that it doesn't spring back. It also works well with odd shaped portholes where tight corners can be involved.

Tony

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:33 pm »

How about using multicore solder rather than brass/copper wire.....

but just try soldering the ends together...! :D :D :D

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

im sure ive seen some self adhesive brass look ones at my local model shop that are made by becc ! ive not used them myself so cant vouch for how good they may be . most of my models are to inch to the foot scale motor cruisers so if i need portlights they are generally well above the water line !  good luck .

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »

but just try soldering the ends together...! :D :D :D

I'm not into chain making DG, just a dab of paint will do for me :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:57 pm »

I'm not into chain making DG, just a dab of paint will do for me :-))

the way model-making works for me - anything that CAN come unstuck WILL come unstuck. Always at the most critical juncture...

Dreadstar

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 11:58:06 am »

The self adhesive BECC ones are quite effective actually,I use them quite a lot,it saves you having to drill any holes in the hull and you don't need to worry about sealing them afterwards. :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »

Hai Dread..what is BECC..?..will you explain..?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

Rathu,
It is the name of a company.
It is in the traders list at the bottom of the forum.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tugboyben

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »

hi rathikrishna

the link to becc

http://www.becc.co.uk/

jason

rathikrishna

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:49:17 am »

Good after noon,and thank you Gentlemen,wow..its a great link and place indeed..can i purchase things from there..?..will they respond..?..any guidance..?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:51 am »

Rathikrishna

They do not normally sell direct, only through their dealers, some of whom are listed on their home page.

Cornwall Model Boats stock BECC products and will ship worldwide: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

Westbourne Models also stock their products: http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/

Colin

rathikrishna

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:22 am »

Sir..its great help..i am on the way of searching..and will do needful..thank you once again for the links..with respect.

rathikrishna

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 09:02:47 am »

Hai friends..i am too thank full to you all..because i got an advice to use solder wires to make circles..ohhh..what a nice idea...previously i was struggling with heavy brass or steel wires, as my fingers loss the skin as i forces with round tiped nose pliers...and shaping was a great problem ,especially on an uneven surface...its too easy and its too neat to workwith...how informative people all you are...thank god...

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:29 pm »

if you make the rings out of copper wire you can tap each one with a hammer before fitting, and get a flat disk rather than a rounded one...
Shouldn't be a rounded edge. More of a knife edge showing outside the hull. BY
Notes from a simple seaman

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

Shouldn't be a rounded edge. More of a knife edge showing outside the hull. BY

If you flatten the copper wire circle it will look less rounded. And it's surprisingly easy to turn copper wire into a square section with a few hammer strokes, or a squeeze in a vice, and make it much closer to a knife edge. Solder would be even easier - perhaps too easy...?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.