Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 TURN,10 TURN. WHATS THIS ALL ABOUT  (Read 3629 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
16 TURN,10 TURN. WHATS THIS ALL ABOUT
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:25:34 am »

I am just a bit confused ,well a lot.whats the difference with the esc's and motors and the windings .I have seen some esc's for different motors /windings and wondered what the difference would be regarding starting and control ie an esc for 24 turns against one with 4 turns would the higher one have a softer start and the lower one handle higher power ,as with motors/windings the less turns the more torque/power the more turns the less torque but higher revs .
I have prob got it all the wrong way round so could some one please explain in (plain English) laymans terms  ??? ???
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Telstar

Re: 16 TURN,10 TURN. WHATS THIS ALL ABOUT
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 02:12:55 pm »

From Michael Faraday’s (uncaged)  discovery mathematicians tell us, the force on a conductor (wire) in a magnetic field is proportional to the current going through the wire, and the length of wire in the field. (I’m sure some cows or sheep may be in there too).
It didn’t take long to work out if you put the same wire through the magnets twice the force doubled, and hence a coil with 10 turns through the magnets gave 10 times the force (for the same current). Force times distance is torque. (distance being the distance of the conductor from the shaft). So, good motors have big (strong) magnetic field and lots of windings to give lots of torque to turn propellers. NOT QUITE.

In most motors used in models the magnetic field is fixed (permanent magnets) and can’t be varied, so you get what you pay for, high quality permanent magnets aren’t cheap but modern ceramic magnets are pretty good.

So lots of windings for a good motor. Again NOT QUITE.

The number of times the wire is wrapped round the armature pole is limited by the space available, but if you use thinner wire you can get more turns in. ( good lots of turns =lots of torque). However Georg Simon Ohm (of ohm’s law fame) gets into the act he tells us that ( among other things) that the resistance of a conductor(wire not musician) is R= γ*l/a (γ is resistivity of the material, usually copper) l, is length and a, cross section area of  conductor.   Problem long lengths of thin wire have high resistance and will limit the current through the motor, also thin wire has a habit of melting (like fuse wire) if you pass too much current through it. Also thin wire is not very strong and may be thrown off the armature by centrifugl force as the motor spins (it could be glued in place, but cost matters)

Motor makers juggle to give motors that :-
will curry the current without burning out (thick enough wire)
are small enough to fit in the model (not too thick wire)
are reasonably cheap (not too complicated to make)

I think it was “slot car racers” who first found that if they unwound the armature coils on normal production motors and rewound them with less turns of thicker wire they could get the edge on their competitors (less resistance more current)  and from there the interest in the number of turns was developed, then with the development of electronic speed control (remember slot cars had variable resistor controllers) the internal resistance of the motor became important. So the number of turns is a non technical indication of  internal resistance.  Remember the lower(smaller) the resistance of the motor the greater the potential current, so the less turns the larger the current.   
FET’s used in ESC’s are prone to being “spiked” by pulses of high current that motors take when starting up ( one Ripmax ESC 120 amp continuous  440 amp peak 18 to 36 turns ) so when using low resistance (small number of turns) it is possible to spike ( kill, damage, render useless) the FET’s and the controller with starting and reversing currents while not exceeding the carefully measured normal load current
Instead of an ESC manufacturer saying do not use with motors of less than 0.01ohm (a purely random number on my part) they tend to say suitable for 6 to 12 turn motors.
Unfortunately not all motor manufacturers tell you how many turns are on there motors. OOPs

I hope my slightly askew explanation (or perhaps rambling) doesn’t  give too many “experts” hypoplexia  and if nothing else gives a few wry smiles.

Fair weather and calm water
Tom

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:21:16 pm »

It doesn't get any better than that.  You can come on my boat anytime. Well put Tom   ;D

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »

Except that some are 16x3 or 10 x 2  etcand somemay just say 6 turn but most of the motors with a low number of turns are multiple winds ,they also use different gauge wire ,its so that in car racing you can get different characteristics for different types of circuits.  they can be a nightmare as you have to take the timing in to account which will effect revs and current draw.peter

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:58 pm »

So it's a case of suck it and see then  :o :o
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:11:41 pm »

'Telstar's explanation pretty well says it.  What it 'boils' down to is that the number of turns on a motor doesn't really tell you anything useful as far as ESC's go, or anythiing else for that matter.  Good advertising, I guess, but I'm not so sure that's a recommendation except for the advertising company, sort of.
 - 'Doc

Not meaning to make fun of anyone!  But this is a pretty good example of 'dumbing-down'.  Not a 'bad' way of gtting someone interested, but it doesn't take into account that there's a lot of learning to do to really make any sense of something.  So, when do you want to do that 'learning'?  Before or after you sink some money into it?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:13:47 pm »

Generally speaking, the fewer winds the motor has, more power the motor will take and hence run faster ie max RPM's will be more for a 10 x 2 that a 27 x 1.

For longer runs use motors with 27 x 1 turns, for faster motors (which will mean your batteries wont last as long between charges) use less turns ie 19 x 2 etc.

For motors with fewer turns, you need a more expensive ESC and one which will handle the 'hotter' motor.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:22:21 am »

Well thankyou Telstar i don't know what to say your explanation has left me speechless !!!
After reading your reply i was about to report you to the moderator for been too darn clever  thankyou
i just wish they would leave things alone (agh i sound like my dad) what is wrong with the old fashioned  amps .
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »

Portside
The clue is in the question. "Proper" model boat ESCs are rated in Amps (usually continuous current rating). Those which are advertised as suitable for X or Y number of turns are probably R/C car speed controllers and may not be suitable for boat use. If in doubt, shout. There's almost certainly someone on this forum with experience to help you.
Suit yourself.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 07:53:32 pm »

Hi. Mtronics \ Msonic do separate car and marine speedos. Even the car speedos are waterproof resistant. The main difference is the car speedo will only handle up to 9.8volts whereas the marine speedos will take 12v.

And no I have no connection with them!

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 09:03:48 pm »

And there's always how many poles to consider as well  ;D

Bob

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 09:04:36 pm »

The other difference between car and boat ESC's is there is a delay in going into reverse on car ESC's not a lot of help on a scale course
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:32:09 am »

Tom
Excellent. Many thanks.
Man in the street
Thanks for finding that link to Mabuchi's website - the video is first-class and should be compulsory viewing for all users of electric motors.

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 10:35:56 am »

Hi
maninthestreet
great website, their video explains things much better than my ramblings. The section on Phase in the Mabuchi website is the bit that is called in modelers terms(at least the car modelers) timing

Fair weather and calm water
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.