Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing to scale... a beginner in need of help  (Read 2790 times)

doorframe

Printing to scale... a beginner in need of help
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »

Hi Guys...

I've settled on my first real build. It's a motor launch I found as a free download following links from this site. It's an 11 page .pdf (10 pages make the plan and 1 page the instuctions...in Spanish) I printed them ok, but when I joined them together it was clear something wasn't quite right, as they didn't line up... they weren't even close.. I thought it was the 2-bob printer playing up but it was the originals.  I gave the problem to my smart**** son, who put them into Photoshop and did a bit of stretching and sqewing so that they joined almost perfectly.  What I have now is a very nice 1 page .pdf of the whole plan. It's very high resolution so can be blown up without significant loss.

But...here's my problem. In it's original scale the model is only about 16" long. I really wanted about 30", so I need to print it bigger. I have searched for a program to do this and the best I have come up with is a 30 day trial of Adobe Acrobat, which adds a Tiling feature to to the print options of Adobe Reader. Using this I can print to my size... it takes 45 A4 sheets. That's fine, but it's only a 30 day trial. And a license will cost around £600-£700... obviously a non-starter.

I have found web sites that appear to do this... you know... upload the original... split it... then download the Tiles, but they have a max size nowhere near the 200MB that my plans now take up.

So... can anybody point me towards some simple software that will take care of this, that even a wally like me can use?

I am aware of the option..."take it to a print shop", but I am hoping for a simple 'at home' solution.

Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks,

Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Printing to scale... a beginner in need of help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »

I use an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, V7.04.
It's very fast,  cheap (ebay) and does almost everything you see to do with images on Mayhem, including enlarging and splitting images to multiple pages. You do have to be careful when enlarging as not only does the plan size enlarge but also all the lines that can make for tricky cut-line decisions!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »

Adobe Photoshop comes with a similar 30-day trial - and would enable you to print out a re-sized plan.

(And when the thirty days runs out you could - if you were naughty - rebuild your PC and run it again.)  :police:  <*<

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

gantu

• Full Mayhemer
    • Modellbaudaten
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:29:35 pm »

Hi roy

send me the plan then i can see what i can do for you. If the plan is not so complicatet i redraw this plan to pdf so you can change in any scale.

doorframe

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »

Hi All.

That was quick!!

Martin, a few years ago when I thought I was going to become a computer genious I bought loads of mags with free CD's. Couldn't work any of them and they all got 'filed' away. I know there were some old version Paint Shop Pro's amongst them and I can't remember throwing them away. I'll have to have a search. Trouble is, whenever I start a conversation with my wife along the lines of.."Darling... do you remember where...." or "Dearest, have you seen.....", SWMBO's face will suddenly take on the appearance of a bulldog chewing a wasp and I have to start dodging the frying pans. I could always start with ...."Where did you put...?", but I would like to live long enough to actually finish my boat! Think I'll look at the weekend when she's cleaning out the birds :-))

Andy, my son's 'trial' version of Photoshop seems to have lasted over a year. I'm not going to ask him..."How come?". But I will ask him to see if he can find the feature you mention, to print full size.

gantu, I don't know how I can send it to you as it's 201MB... too large to email or fileshare. I am confused, as you say you can draw the plan to PDF, but it is already a pdf. Do you mean you can split it back into 45 individual pdf's? That would be great! Then I could duplicate any parts I want. If you can do this, please can you tell me how? :-)

I really thought this would be a simple thing to achieve... just download some freeware and it's job-done! {-) Shows how much I know!

Thanks

Roy

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:58:01 pm »

ive recently had a plan reduced from 1/8 to 1/12 th scale , it only cost a few pence at the local print shop & he even worked out the amount it needed reducing by !

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:13:57 pm »

I use an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, V7.04.

Martin, I'm using V6 of the same software. I must be even more miserable than you with my money  {-) {-) It does a good job, though.

Peter.

doorframe

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:45 pm »

Hey All.

I found Paint Shop Pro 6!!!!! %% %% It wont install!!!!! {:-{ {:-{

I then found Paint Shop Pro 7!!!!! %% %% Not a clue how to use it!!!!!! <:( <:(

BUT... downloaded 'POSTER' . Trial version with 10 free goes. SIMPLE!!! Works fantastic!! After 10 goes registration is about a tenner, then you've got it for life.

I've now got a full size plan for my build!! I'm collecting materials and will definately do a BLOG...if only so you can all put me right as I go!!

Thanks to EVERYBODY AT MAYHEM :-))

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.