Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner. Billing boats? Model slipway?  (Read 10124 times)

tjones27

Beginner. Billing boats? Model slipway?
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:37:46 am »

Hi, i am interested in starting/getting back into RC boats.
i built my first model which was the Robbe Paula III 8 years ago when i was 12. im now looking at getting back into it and the billing boats have taken my eye. especially the Smit rotterdam. i do a l;ot of model railway building, and Radio controlled Planes. i do want something thats going to be challenging but not too challenging and yet a boat that looks very impressive, and i do love the Tugs, they look ACE!! :) ive also had a look at model slipway and they also take my fancy. the wiring up of engines and radio gear and extra functions is no issue to me, i find that a doddle (with out sounding too cocky).

could anybody advise me on any cracking models that are good for me. i dont know how to class myself. but i shall beginner looking for a decent challenge. im guessing that something with an ABS/plastic hull would be a good start!

Cheers Tj

sailorboy61

Re: Beginner. Billing boats? Model slipway?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:35 pm »

Welcome!

I have not personally built any Modelslipway kits, but have had my hands on a couple, been in contact with them and read articles, and they come highly recommended, good quality kits, and the owners are very apporachable and helpful. Its practically all in the box. Splash out, go for the Aziz or Yorkshireman.
I have built Billings in the distant past... more traditional obviously, just depends what you're after.
If you want a tug, also look at Tyne Models and Mobile Marine.

Ultimately it's down to you buddy.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:26 pm »

Hi T and welcome to the forum.  It would probably help if you could give us an idea of size and type that you are thinking of.  Model Slipway are certainly a very well put together model and would be highly recommended for a first boat build. 

If you were looking for a small steamer the Caldercraft Joffre would be an excellent buy but if you were after a bigger steam tug then a Slipway Assurance or Envoy take some beating.  If you want more modern stuff though then Mobile Marine Models, Model Slipway or Tyne Models all do good kits.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tjones27

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:51:17 pm »

Hi, thanks for the help. well the Model slipway aziz, or even the Al Akhubar take my fancy. i am looking for something fairly substantial. something impressive. i would like a twin prop model with plenty of umph for a fair bit of speed :)  my family live near hamburg in germany and i love going down the Elbe and seeing the fairplay class Tugs and would really fancy something in that league. something like the fairplay 23 or 30. cracking tugs. i luv'em. any ideas who might produce something like that. i defiantely would prefer to have a kit with a preformed hull as i dont yet fancy having to build the shell from scratch, maybe my next model after this one.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:23:14 pm »

Hello Tj, as a newbie who needs good instruction, I have often been advised to steer clear of Caldercraft untill a little more experienced, they have some lovely boats, but instructions and plans leave something to be desired, an experienced modeller friend is currently build one of their puffers and having a hell of a time, but again - only an opinion.
                         King regards, Tony.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »

Model Slipway kits are first class, I built the Sentinel a few years ago and was highly impressed with the quality of the included fittings, but I believe they are now of an even higher standard.

Peter.

dondecap

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

hi mate.
they are prob too new for model plans to be out..........But............. I have captured the 'line' drawings from a site...
www.rotortug.com/downloads/its_paper_2000.pdf.
you would need to know the true length and beam then scale these to suit.
the right half is bow half and the left half is stern half of boat.
you could then build the hull from scratch, thats what I am doing for the 'Storm King rescue tug' I am building.
will send the image via PM as I think it's not allow to publish for copyright purposes.
regards
don

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

Billing boats are very good quality wise but they do seem to be a bit lacking in the instructions dept.  Not the worst I've seen but certainly not always helpful

Have a look here and you will see the instructions for it
http://www.billingboats.com/download.html
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dazzza01

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:47 pm »

hi
i'm building the Banckert tug from billing's it could be
a good one to start with, only thing that i have found
is that the pictures/instructions are rubbish {:-{ unless
something is missing.

darryl

Cornishman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:14:34 pm »

I am currently building Model Slipway "Our Lass 2" having just built the Tamar Lifeboat. I can thoroughly recommend Model Slipway. Their Hulls are the best I've seen. Their fittings, instructions, drawings and printed styrene are all first class. Aftersales service for queries and replacement parts, if required, is excellent. In my opinion Billings are nowhere near them.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:47:22 pm »

Model Slipway every time. I have made five of their kits so far.

Excellent kits, excellent drawings and instruction and great personal service from Jackie and Laurie.

They also have a web site with all sorts of hints and tips on materials to use etc ie glues.

My Al Khubar build.   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19615.0

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:03:25 am »

Hi TJ, Since I joined the forum I have been watching with interest the recommendations of the experienced members on here, I hate to say it but they seem to be NEVER wrong. They give very good advice , I wish I had asked before I bought my Billings kits (the Smit  Nederland & the Fairmount  Alpine ) I have no complaint with the quality of the kits( a bit sparse on Quantity ), but to put it mildly the instructions are rubbish. You would think they would have learned by now, NOT SO, the Fairmount plans & instructions ( this is a new kit by Billings this year ) are worse than the Smit Nederland, it does not help that I don't think like a Dane. I may hold off building the Fairmount & I am looking at a Model Slipway kit instead. As you can see Model Slipway kits come HIGHTLY recommended by forum members & I am listening to their advice. I also made discreet enquiries about the Slipway kits & got very positive feedback.I hope this helps. Mick B.
Mick B.

Spook

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:27:27 am »

Just to add to the Model slipway recommendations - I'm on my third MS kit and have found them to be very helpful. The kits themselves are very good quality, the instructions sometimes make you work things out for yourself, which can be a good thing, but on the while are very good.

returnee

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 03:52:23 pm »

Hi , My first boat was the MS yorkshireman. I found the instructions very good ,and the quality of the parts and fittings excellent. I would certainly recommend one of their kits as a first kit. :-))

icebreaker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:14 pm »

id definetly go with model slipway there instuctions are excellent for beginners and there range of boats has something for everyone

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:48 am »

Let us know how you make out & which kit you are building. Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.