Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pontiac - Death of an American icon.  (Read 2154 times)

tony52

Pontiac - Death of an American icon.
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:58:15 pm »

The big American muscle car manufacturer has now stopped production. Love em or hate em, they were certainly an icon, especially in the 1960's and 70's (personally I love em). Burt Renolds and his Firebird, David Hasselhoff in Knight Rider to name a couple of examples.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8102644/Pontiac-death-of-an-American-icon.html

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pontiac - Death of an American icon.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »

Another addition to a melancholy list. De Soto, Rambler, Oldmobile...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:17 pm »

To be honest I was a lot more upset when Rover went to the wall.  We seem to be just about the only European country that doesn't manufacture it's own cars and no-one seems to be bothered about it.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:23 pm »

The big American muscle car manufacturer has now stopped production. Love em or hate em, they were certainly an icon, especially in the 1960's and 70's (personally I love em). Burt Renolds and his Firebird, David Hasselhoff in Knight Rider to name a couple of examples.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8102644/Pontiac-death-of-an-American-icon.html

Although Pontiac is seen as having started the muscle car era in North America, it was rapidly passed by the other manufacturers.

John

tony52

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »

To be honest I was a lot more upset when Rover went to the wall.  We seem to be just about the only European country that doesn't manufacture it's own cars and no-one seems to be bothered about it.

Perhaps we were embarrased with some of the fine examples of British Leyland (and others) friday afternoon jobs.

Dekan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:31:20 am »

Perhaps we were embarrased with some of the fine examples of British Leyland (and others) friday afternoon jobs.

No problems with car manufacturing now..... like everything else this country used to make or own... it's all been sold off to make quick buck..

tony52

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:11 am »

No problems with car manufacturing now.....

Quite right, some of the motors we now produce, Honda, Vauxhall, etc are excellent.

Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.