Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: COAST  (Read 7455 times)

hopeitfloats

COAST
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:54:01 am »

recently in nz there was a screening of the UK show COAST.  in it there was a short section showing the new brighton model boat club. were any of our  learned members in the clip.?????? i am assuming the show has been screened in the UK of course.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: COAST
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:32:36 am »

there was a post about it on hear that lake is now flatend and a new one built across the road.shame as it was a great lake to test a boat in as it was raised.

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

garston1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:17:56 pm »

yes it's true the old lake has gone and the new one is just a bit further along the Prom. It's almost five feet deep so a lot of the members are very wary about sailing on it. As for the coast prog, our Ex Chairman Don Morris was the person being interviewed.

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:19 pm »

Why are alot of members wary of sailing on it,...its not as if there sitting in there models,...by my reckoning the depth of the water has got nowt to do with the boat on the surface,...and it,ll be great for submarines,..if we had 5ft of water in our pond,we,d be keeping it quiet,just in case somebody stole it,...our ponds depth is rarely above 2ft,...no good for yachts,subs,.... {:-{

Wullie

hopeitfloats

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:05 am »

do we have photos of the new lake

hopeitfloats

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:08 am »

i found some. i like the idea of it being raised above ground level. saves your back for us old fellows.

sailorboy61

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:55:18 am »

i found some. i like the idea of it being raised above ground level. saves your back for us old fellows.

Except that its still an 18inch drop on the inside edge of the pond to the water.....so the basty bend is still there..though they did 'cut out' one corner lower, but not  a great help.

Ususal story, leave it designers and architechs to do what they want rather than ask the end users!!

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:02 am »

five foot i wish our pond here in jersey is 16ft deep, if a boat goes under forget it ,
t le b

Wasyl

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:35 am »

With a depth of 16ft,would it not be advisable where possible,to fit boyancy aids into the hull,i.e.expanded foam fot instance,

Wullie

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:24 pm »

yes it's true the old lake has gone and the new one is just a bit further along the Prom. It's almost five feet deep so a lot of the members are very wary about sailing on it. As for the coast prog, our Ex Chairman Don Morris was the person being interviewed.

The depth of the water is nearly 5 foot ?  or is it the depth from the height of the retaining wall to the pond base which is 5 ft ?.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:16:16 am »

five foot i wish our pond here in jersey is 16ft deep, if a boat goes under forget it ,

We've lost boats in our club down deep, just get in touch with a local scuba diving club and they'll usually be glad to help. We had a Perkassa raised from the depths earlier this year after a week under, only casualty was a torpedo & launcher. Just need to be able to relocate where it went down. Our member gave club some cash towards recharging the scuba cylinder and some beers. Smiling faces all round, divers done something different for a change and our Kev got his beloved Perkassa back, result.
On another topic mentioned, I like the lake at New Brighton, shame about the weather this year for the reopening. Hope they're going to have more events next year? I'll be going along to support it if not working, Dave. O0

thegrimreaper

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:43:18 pm »

new lake is brill for boats and subs just wish people would stop feeding the sky rats and swans they seem to hate my sub  <*<

sailorboy61

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:58:09 pm »

Popped down yesterday hoping for a quick 30mins outing.....only hadn't realised it was blowing quite as strongly as it was..and with high tide it was realling coming over the sea wall! That said, the pond wasn't too rough...more than I was willing to risk but I'm sure 'do-able'.
Down side it was covered in sh*t hawks, and a large number of swans....more than the usual 3 I've seen there.
Was thinking a webcam on wirral.gov.uk would be a good way for useser to check on the state of the pond before turning up, and pehaps one on the bowling greens too, at least you'd know not to expect to park anywhere near the water if there were games on there...far easier to lug a heavily weighted boat across the road than two wooden balls in a bag!!!!

dave301bounty

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:48 pm »

Which pond are you on about ,New brighton or what ,I was at new b today ,did a quik exit ,absolutely disgusting ,those in charge want keelhauling ,the front has really gone now ,I hope the powers who put this together ,get their come upance ,they have destroyed a piece of history ,and its no good saying progress ,this is not that ,The club that has the use of same ,had a very good chance to have it not done ,and have a better way ,but the could,nt see any further than their nose .This last gale was,nt strong enough,it should have demolished the lot ,just like when the baths went .Hang your heads in shame ,those responsible .

Rebecca_D

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »

I hope that the following will clarify the position of the new boating lake on New Brighton Promenade used by the New Brighton Model Boat Club NBMBC).

The lake is part of a £60m redevelopment of the promenade area which had stood derelict for many years. In negotiation with Wirral Council and the developers (Neptune Development) a plan was established to remove and replace the old lake (http://www.newbrightonmodelboatclub.org.uk/lake.html#new). This was one of the first parts of the redevelopment since the old lake stood in the way of other work.

The new lake was completed and handed over to Wirral Council on 18/08/10 (http://www.newbrightonmodelboatclub.org.uk/lake01.html). Subsequently NBMBC held an opening ceremony.

The new lake has the same surface area as the old one but in a different configuration. The depth of the water is not as reported in earlier posts as 5 foot, but around 1 metre when the lake is full. As the lake is part of an ongoing build the stand pipe for topping up the lake has not yet been installed. This will come with the construction of a building to the east of the lake in the near future. Consequently the club is not in a position to top up the lake at present. Once it is full and with a raised wall around it, launching of boats will be exceptionally easy with little bending necessary.

There has been some complaint about car parking and accessing the lake. There is a dedicated car park next to the western end and a further car park next to this is in development. We must remember that the lake and car parking are public utilities and NBMBC has no control, with the exception of permission from the Council for special occasions, over parking. We suggest that anyone who finds the immediate car park full, unload their equipment (there is usually someone who will keep an eye on it) and then find an alternative place to park. There is plenty of parking on roads across from the lake.

Regarding the birds who frequent the lake there is little that can be done, nor should it be, to prevent them from using or landing on the lake. Although an inconvenience I would hope that all modellers who use the lake can develop an attitude of living alongside wildlife. There has been disagreement between our club and members of the public who insist on feeding the colony of swans and other birds who make use of the lake. This causes pollution of the water, debris that may damage boats and has possible health risks to users. Signs have now been erected by the Council to discourage this but I feel this may be an ongoing area of conflict. We are currently seeking the advice of the RSPB on this matter.

Finally can I say that as a club we are delighted with this new facility and hope that as many modellers as possible from anywhere in the country take advantage of it. We have a full programme of events for 2011 (http://www.newbrightonmodelboatclub.org.uk/meetings.html#2011) and look forward to seeing many of you at them.

Rebecca Dittman
Secretary
New Brighton Model Boat Club

PS For your information our web address has been changed to - http://www.newbrightonmodelboatclub.org.uk

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »

Looking forward to seeing events list for 2011. Just need to make sure events are posted on forums like this too, lots of us enjoy visiting other clubs for events, but need to know about them in advance of course, regards, Dave.  :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

Wonder what Giant white Duck on the Christmas dinner table tastes like??? %)

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »

Had it last year   a bit swanny as I recall   {-) {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

Didn't Al Jolson sing about this??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

dave301bounty

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »

Tell me ,,When was the last time you were dwn ,looking in the water .You are secretary ,and so should be up to answering any comments ,,because no-one can get on the club web-site ,to ask You .,,I have a book full of questions ,but not for this site ,,models and the making of ,this is the place to be .Loads of help and heaps of advice .

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »

Our little Pond is 1850 yards long X 780 yards wide at the extreams, max depth 25 feet. Never heard any complants  ---except that some of the deeper draught boats have to be launched in thigh boots or waders  (no Ic)
   Desaster recovery is by recovery buoy or glass bottom bucket and hook pole or hook line or as a last resort a diver --- one of our rescue boats has an electric outboard motor so we can tow the diver submerged using a paravane board, he can cover a lot of ground skimming along 7 or 8 feet of the bottom and its loads of fun in the summer
 :-)) Jimmy

Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

three knots

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 06:24:36 pm »

On the film ,it was on again the other day .Well there is a guy ,you only see him for 3 seconds ,wearing a blue weather coat ,has a white topped cap ,and is smoking a sheeroot ,That fella is quite a character ,because ,I was down there at that lake some time ago ,he was sailing a model Drifter ,it got into trouble and sank ,well any other guy would be in and at it ,I watched this guy ,get his camera ,and photoed the whole episode .I went up to him and said ,you should be in there ,his reply was .  You dont see that happen very often   .He was not at all upset ,

hopeitfloats

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 07:43:55 pm »

still havent heard if any of our members are in it though. another thing to. why did they make the lake 5ft deep. does it have other uses than model boats. the closest we have to a dedicated 'lake' is about 20m x 20m and only filled at special events. its probably 2ft deep at most and thats an ideal depth. pity its not a heap bigger though.

dave301bounty

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:58 pm »

Three knots ,you are talking about me ,though I cant place you .I was the guy in the  small film Coast ,with the White topped cap and the blue jacket ,I had a stick of liquorice in my mouth ,and was sailing a tug ..and yes ,it was me whos drifter sank ,but I didnt bother ,got the photos ,,then got the drifter ,I do rember a guy asking me why I was,not in a rage .So if you are the person ,now I know you ,your quite famous arent you .Nice of you to mention me .               
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.