Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Argyll visiting Liverpool  (Read 2660 times)

Bowwave

HMS Argyll visiting Liverpool
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:05 pm »

HMS Argyll   docked   at the liner terminal   at Liverpool .

Bowwave :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Argyll visiting Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »

Must have heard about the cuts, that's a sad looking Smiley just below the crosstree. :((

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

keef666

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »

Nice pix circlip, we were saying if we should have jumped on the ferry,
here's another few pixs as the tugs gave a little help

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:34 pm »

It's good to see a warship down to her marks in peace time :-))........in my time @ Garden Island.....so many HMA vessels returning from sea came back near empty & riding high in the water............ >:-o ...like if there was a real sea emergency they would need to delay departure whilst they bunkered  >>:-( .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sailorboy61

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:53 am »

It's good to see a warship down to her marks in peace time :-))........in my time @ Garden Island.....so many HMA vessels returning from sea came back near empty & riding high in the water............ >:-o ...like if there was a real sea emergency they would need to delay departure whilst they bunkered >>:-( .....Derek

Don't know if this still applies, but having HMS (or relevant national equivalent) as part of your ships name was an indication that maritime regulations, including marine pollution, could generally be 'avoided' or 'worked around' where necessary resulting in warships using displacement fuel tanks (again probably not the case for modern jet fuel ships), fuel out/sea water in, and vv on fuelling..... hence they stayed at a pretty much draft. Either that or government cuts have removed the 3 foot of ship above the boot topping to make them look full??

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »

mmmmm not sure if I would like a GE 2500LM gas turbine fuel tank to be cross contaminated with sea water......although I acknowledge engine room piping on our FFG's existed that such an action could occur  >>:-( <*<
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sailorboy61

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:51:40 pm »

One would assume that any fuel, especially for the likes of gas turbines would be cleaned filtered before use in any case.... certainly happens on commercial ships burning what can only be described as liquid (at 60C) coal slurry CST 380 upwards.... it's not pumped directly into the machinery.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »

Must have heard about the cuts, that's a sad looking Smiley just below the crosstree. :((

Regards  Ian.

LOL! I had to look twice at that!

boat captain

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »

Hi

Compensated fuel tanks are still used in H.M.S. ships.  The fuel is ordinary diesel nothing special.  It is centrifuged into double bottom storage tanks and stripped (any water is pumped out) then centrifuged into service tanks.  The service tanks are checked for water at a sampling valve.  The fuel is then pumped into the fuel supply system passing through a set of fram filters and finally a coalesor filter before entering the turbine.  As regards pumping overboard everything from bilges etc now goes through an oily water separator, water overboard oil into the stripping tank.

Joe :-)) :-))  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.