Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic, was the wheel turned the wrong way?  (Read 29523 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: Titanic, was the wheel turned the wrong way?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 07:36:49 am »

Would you mind not putting words in my mouth- I havn't said Bryan has no right posting what he does, I havn't said that 24900 people are wrong (though that is viewings and not the total of people that have read it). However Bryan did say we had no right to be posting about steam on here- something for which he apologised when I pointed it out. As far as I'm concerned that's the end of it, and long may BY continue to let us revel in his past, as long as he allows other members to revel in what they are interested in.

Oh, and BarryM- SY Gondola is a screw steamer, not paddle %)

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:49 am »

Oh, and BarryM- SY Gondola is a screw steamer, not paddle

Greg

Aye, I know that Greg - but I wasn't referring to the vessel.  :P  :P  :kiss:

Barry M

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2010, 05:44:30 pm »

:P <*< >>:-(
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »

Bryan,

As a fully paid up deep-sea member of the Dirty Boiler Suit Divinity I can only extend my sympathy to you in your  unenlightened condition which prevents you appreciating the true glory of steam.

On the other hand, as the best story-teller on the forum bar none, I suggest that you ignore any tetchy lake paddler's comments and carry on regardless.  :-))

Barry M
Sir, I take umbrage at your slur! UMBRAGE d'you hear! "Srory-teller"? A simple STORY TELLER!. How dare you .Sir. Calling a Diarist a simple "story-teller" is akin to calling Ms.Rawlings an Historian! From your steam shrouded, snow bedecked enclave in "Wee-Frees" land, you no doubt feel immune to any sort of retribution. Not so.
Over the past millenium, we south of Carters Bar have been deluged with LIES. Particularly regarding the excellence of "Scottish" (should be "Scotch") education system. And now you, dear Sir, have proven the lie. For all your titles and ascendancy into the upper echelons of "Clankieism" it is evident that the teaching of our common language was quite remiss, Sir.
Your slur on my verspicacty is an outrage....I fear I should have to take to my bed.

Having said that, thank you.  Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »

Now, now, Bryan. Don't forget that under the terms agreed after the Battle of the Standard, all north of the Tyne is Scotland. The Deep Soothers have been ignoring this fact since the ink dried.

I don't know who this Ms Rawlings is, why you are retiring to bed or what you will be doing with your "versicacty" but are the three linked?   %)

The Public must be told.  :kiss:

Barry M

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:09 am »

Although I've tried to both understand and follow the ORIGINAL title of this topic,  where on earth do the latest posts of this thread relate?
        Just a thought really, no convoluted explanations neccessary .

{:-{ {:-{

pugwash

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2010, 02:22:58 am »

Tut-Tut Barry you dont know Ms rawlings - would it give you a clue if you put JK in front of her name.
And whilst we are on about kingdoms don't forget that at one time the ancient kingdom of Northumbria stretched
from York to Edinburgh so stuff you getting Berwick - we want Edinburgh back!!
Geoff

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 08:35:55 am »

tt1 - I'll give you a completely unconvoluted clue. Look at the title of this Forum!  %%

Pugwash - Sorry, Battle of the Standard was after Northumbria was annexed by Scotland. Thus all bets are off except that we would like Berwick-on-Tweed back and I'm not sure that Ms Rawlings would benefit by the addition of 'JK' but Ms Rowling might.  <*<

Right, now let's get back to Titanic.

Regards,

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »

tt1 - I'll give you a completely unconvoluted clue. Look at the title of this Forum!  %%

Pugwash - Sorry, Battle of the Standard was after Northumbria was annexed by Scotland. Thus all bets are off except that we would like Berwick-on-Tweed back and I'm not sure that Ms Rawlings would benefit by the addition of 'JK' but Ms Rowling might.  <*<

Right, now let's get back to Titanic.

Regards,

Barry M
Barry and Geoff:- Honestly, I put "Rawlings" as the name sort of realising that you'd gather the real name, but I tend not to use real names in case I'm accused of character assassination. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

nsa66

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 08:59:40 am »

As I was largely responsible for wresting this thread away from its original topic - for which I can only add my heartfelt and deep regret - I would also like to add my two-penn'orth to this further digression.

Although I  am happy to leave the character of the said Ms Rowling utterly unassassinated, that's more than I can say about the bespectacled little twerp who has earned enough royalties to ensure the survival of every preserved vessel in Western Europe! So come on Harry. Use a bit of your magic to bring a bit of light into the gloomy underworld of we poor Dirty Boiler Suited muggles.

farrow

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:46 am »

With reference to earlier comments about super heated steam, when I was an apprenticed engine fitter in H M Dkyd Chatham, I was taught it was a gas, because it was so hot and no water saturation in it. In fact it was known to be very dangerous if a joint leaked because the leak was invisible and would cut a mans leg off quite easily and accidents like this did occur in the RN. Wet steam was taught as having water droplts in suspension and dry steam had no water droplets in suspension. But this was 44 years ago when I was doing my City and Guilds Technicion part one exam at Chatham Apprentice training college, which used to be St Mary's Barracks and the original home of HMS Fisguard, artificers training centre, it was moved at outbreak of war to Cornwall, because of the fear of German bombing raids.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 02:06:21 pm »

At the time of the Titanic disaster there was still a lot of sailing square riggers sailing around the world.       A lot of seamen, in steam ships, from Masters to a/b's were trained in sail.             Some of the helm orders given in those days related to the rudder tiller bar. ( the helm).        So to alter course to Port, the order was given as  Starboard Helm,        I live in Amlwch Port on Anglesey and just outside the harbour is a small rock island called East Mouse at the bottom of which lies the wreck of the SS Dakota.       She was outward bound from Liverpool when a northerly gale cought her as she was passing Amlwch and was blown towards a lee shore, the north coast of Anglesey.       The old master had been trained in sail but the helmsman was trained in steam.        The Master called for Port Helm, expecting his ship to turn to starboard. but it didn't.       The helmsman put the wheel over to Port and the ship ran up onto the East Mouse rock, breaking her back and sinking between the Mouse and the coast of Anglesey.         Some blamed the Master and some blamed the Helmsman and some said it was wrecked on purpose for the insurance, nobody knows.           I just wonder if Capt Smith had made the same mistake out of the habit of a lifetime, who knows?          After saying all that I probably should add ALLEGEDLY and I COULD BE WRONG to prevent a torrent of abuse from those in the know.          regards Geoff C.      PS. Has anyone checked Capt. Smith's employment history, did he start as a boy in sail?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »

With reference to earlier comments about super heated steam, when I was an apprenticed engine fitter in H M Dkyd Chatham, I was taught it was a gas, because it was so hot and no water saturation in it. In fact it was known to be very dangerous if a joint leaked because the leak was invisible and would cut a mans leg off quite easily and accidents like this did occur in the RN. Wet steam was taught as having water droplts in suspension and dry steam had no water droplets in suspension. But this was 44 years ago when I was doing my City and Guilds Technicion part one exam at Chatham Apprentice training college, which used to be St Mary's Barracks and the original home of HMS Fisguard, artificers training centre, it was moved at outbreak of war to Cornwall, because of the fear of German bombing raids.

http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Plymouth/CiviliancasualtiesofthebombingofTorpoint.htm

Out of the frying pan eh?
I joined up at Fisgard Sept 1959

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »

Read www.oldsaltblog.com on Google,  click on" sea stories," then click "critique" and search for "Titanic" then article "Did a Steering Error Sink the Titanic".  Geoff C.

farrow

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:09 pm »

Hi netleyned, I see from your comment you was a boy art, which branch was you in, my old man was an ERA. I lived in Torpoint from 1980 to 1985, an I remember seeing the boy arts in uniform running like hell at night to get back to barracks on time, unlike the Rayliegh mob who sauntered along out of rig and with no cares in the world. You guys were the last professionals left in the ANDREW.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »

Captain Smith was trained in sail and had commanded a square rigger (LIZZIE FENNELL)!      But whatever happened that night, Captain Smith certainly did not make any msitakes with helm orders for the simple reason that he was not on the bridge when the ship hit the iceberg!      Neither did 2nd officer Ligthtoller know what happened regarding helm order because he was off watch and in his cabin.     I really don't know why this goes on and on - the answer will never be known!

I am still convinced that it has been brought up again merely as publicity for the novel which is, after all, fiction anyway!

Bob
Regards
Positive

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »

Hi netleyned, I see from your comment you was a boy art, which branch was you in, my old man was an ERA. I lived in Torpoint from 1980 to 1985, an I remember seeing the boy arts in uniform running like hell at night to get back to barracks on time, unlike the Rayliegh mob who sauntered along out of rig and with no cares in the world. You guys were the last professionals left in the ANDREW.

I joined to be a Shipwright but the powers that be decided what you were best at.
I ended up in the Radio Electrical Branch which later became the Weapons electrical branch
Now I believe it is all user/maintainer
The Battle Class were a good looking ship as you told Pugwash

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:41 am »

Looks like two subjects at once here, I suppose it saves space elsewhere.        Regards  Geoff.

Canalpilot

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:47 am »

Re: Was the wheel turned the wrong way - who knows!!  The sad fact is that if the Titanic helmsman had not turned the wheel at all it would have made an awful mess of the bows by hitting the iceberg head on, but would, in all probability, have stayed afloat.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 08:16:31 pm »

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

Rusticles?? Aren't they made by Kelloggs?  ;D

Barry M

farrow

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:51 pm »

Hi Netleynd,
Yes it is all user/maintainers now, what were called diluties in the naval bases during the war. Perhaps that is part of the problem there now, no trained professional tradesmen. As my old man used to say jack of all trades master of none.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.