Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCVP IDEA  (Read 2345 times)

mark w

LCVP IDEA
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:22:14 am »

Hey out there,

Thought I'd post a quick build log of a idea I've been pushing around for awhile.  At our local boat club a couple of months ago (Maritime Modelers, Cerritos, CA), a fellow club member had brought a 1/12 scale lcvp landing craft he had been working on. He lamented that he'd wished he picked a different scale as there was nothing military avilable in 1/12 scale. Jokingly I asked if it was for sale, and before I turned around it was mine  {:-{. I had been wondering what one of these craft would look like if it had been bought "war surplus" and turned into a transport hack for a inter- island construction company. I set about stripping the hull down to a shell; it had been built using door skin and some kind of foam glue  :o . After deconstruction, I boxed in the sides of the cargo well and made a new ramp with polycarbonate (Lexan) plastic, as well as making a new floor and side armor plates out of styrene, adding the anti slip strips, and decking over the aft end. I cleaned up the engine room, changed the motor, put in a new speed control, and a old Robbe "multi sound" unit and speaker.  I hid the main drive 12v sla battery in a large crate, and built the smaller crates, barrels, reels, and pallets. all of the other details came from the spare parts box (mostly doll house items).  Much to my surprise I didn't need to add any more weight :}. She runs well, if not overly fast (the full size only did 9 kts). This was going to be a "quick project between "serious projects (they all turn into serious don't they %)). As of now the bow ramp doesn't operate (I'm not very good at "monkey motion" {:-{), but we'll see.

Mark

sailorboy61

Re: LCVP IDEA
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:49:36 am »

WoW

Obviously someone who loves a little detail in their models...and the weathering looks good too.

Great job Mark!!

fatcat123

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:26:45 pm »

I'll second that  :-))

Great little build and i love the tool box and fishing tackle box.

Great work.

Dan

mark w

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »

Thanks guys  :-). I think the best part of modeling is making the subject "come to life".

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.