Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Havets Vinthund  (Read 6063 times)

da506

Havets Vinthund
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:08 am »

Hey there,

I have a Havets Vinthund kit (as shown in pictures hopefully attached) and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it? e.g. Where did they originally come from? Its age?

Thank you all

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Re: Havets Vinthund
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:36:13 pm »

This kit was produced by the Czech company "Igra" some time in the 1970s-80s (not sure exactly when). They produced a number of other kits like this, including a Vasa and Golden Hind, with wood hull parts and moulded plastic fittings, and they also made some kits intended for R/C, with vac-formed plastic hulls. Not sure how many of these there were, I've seen a Soviet Shershen-class torpedo boat and a small fishing trawler/drifter.
I bought the torpedo boata few years ago, but ended up selling it on eBay as it was so crude - basically, other than the deck hull (which wasn't very accurate in shape) and deck, you just got a load of pre-printed sheets of dubious quality plywood and cardboard! Your "Havets Vinthund" looks a bit better than this at least.
Don't know anything about the ship itself, other than that it's a 19th century clipper, but the name is Swedish and means "Sea Greyhound" so presumably the kit is based on a Swedish ship; web searches only turn up links to this kit (on eBay etc.), though.

Having seen this kit myself on eBay numerous times (but put off bidding by lack of knowledge of the kit's quality) I'd be interested to know more about it - would you be willing to post more photos of the wood + plastic parts? It looks to me like the hull is plank-on-bulkhead construction, some other Igra kit's I've seen have had "bread and butter" construction hulls which appeared to be balsa.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Havets Vinthund
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »

I have the Golden Hind by the same manufacturer... There's very little information on the web regarding the company or the kits  <:(  If you find out anything let me know
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.