Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I/C Boat to Electric  (Read 3550 times)

col

I/C Boat to Electric
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

Can any one advise me on the type of Motor and ESC to replace a .60 I/C motor in a Motor Cruiser (Planing Hull Medium V) of 34" OAL Beam 11" and a weight of around 10 lbs with only servos and RX Engine bay empty. also would 27MHz work ok on electric convertion.
Having trouble attaching photo.
THANKS COL.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: I/C Boat to Electric
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »

How fast do you want it to go, because at that weight it may be expensive to match the 10cc you have.

peter

col

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »

How fast do you want it to go, because at that weight it may be expensive to match the 10cc you have.

peter

Just a moderat planing speed as i have an e-power BL4030 brushless outrunner 385kv would this do.Is the 27 MHz ok.
Thanks Col. P.S away part of next week so may not get back to you until mid week

Dreadstar

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:08 am »

Yes,the 27MHz receiver will work no problem at all. :-))

col

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »

:-))Thanks Dreadstar
Thats saved a bit of cash(I,am a tight wand)no I,am dare I say a it a model aircraft bod and I offered to to do this for a mate(shipmate) done a lot of R.I.B. power boating in my time love the sea.How do you get photos on this forum.
COL

hollowhornbear

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:12:18 pm »

Col's boat.....  :-)

... which I believe to be a Hydrafibre Dominator
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

col

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

Thanks Martin
Sorry If I am a bit thick on posting Photos. Did not expect to see such a large one.As you can see it needs a bit of work, but I need to sort out the Propultion first then the cosmetic side will be no problem.
Thanks Again

nick_75au

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »

Hi,
the BL4030 is quoted as being an equivalent to a 0.60 2 stroke, but was the boat fitted with a marine engine?  Marine engines tend to be designed for higher RPM than Aircraft motors. So the Kv may be too low, at 26 volts (7 cell Li-po) the motor will spin at just under 10,000 RPM

What sized prop do you intend running?

I think that motor will drive a 50-55 mm prop at max voltage, you will need at least 6 cell Li-po to get her moving with that motor, I think the performance will be what your looking for. you could also overvolt the motor with a smaller prop if the speed isn't enough.

Nick

col

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »

Hi Nick
The prop  is a 55mm, the engine is a Meteor 60.The reason I thought to convert this was I am doing it as a favor for a friend it was is granddads and he as no experience of boats and I thought it would be a more reliable for him to use with electric, plus he only wants to see it afloat again so speed is not to much an priority but would it still need 6s to get it on the plain at a moderate speed.also what pitch do you run on boat like this only not read much about pitch only dia.
Thanks Col

nick_75au

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:20:12 am »

Pitch is usually in the 1 to 1.4 times the diameter of the prop, higher pitch will increase the load so this will affect the current draw. Higher pitch may make the boat quicker or it may bog down the motor too much. Its a little experimenting here.

While not familiar with the motor quick internet research indicates its an aero motor anyway with an RPM range of 10,000-12,000 RPM at full loaded speed. It will move on lower cell counts but i don't think it will plane on less than 5 cell. It depends, maybe  the boat planed at half throttle with the Meteor in which the electric will plane at similar RPM providing the weight doesn't increase over the glow set-up.

Nick

col

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »

:-))
Hi NICK
As the BL4030 only gives out 385kv I would need a 7s to give me anything like 10000 rpm so its now getting pricey, will have to have a rethink maybe theres a better suited motor for the job.I suppose a 5s at 7000rpm would only give me displacement speed do you think.
Thanks Again Nick
Col

nick_75au

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:10 am »

It's hard to say, 7000 may be enough, but a 6-700 Kv motor may be a better bet. The Amps will be higher on the lower voltage and 600 Kv motor though. The cost for the same runtime will be the similar whether its a 4 cell 600 Kv motor or a 7 cell 385 Kv motor.

Nick

nick_75au

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:43 am »

Hi Col,
In reply to your emails with the Swang hobby motors, they are too small, not enough torque
something like this
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xyh4260-600kv-outrunner-p-404602.html
or
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4907

or Inrunner
KB-45 700Kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5158

cheers
Nick

col

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »

Hi Nick
Thanks for info,So if I look to theGiant Cod motor at600kv and a 6s 20s 5000 lipo would that give me 600 x 18.4 v =11000 rpm is that right. Would 20s be ok and 80amp to 100amp Esc ,do you need water cooled Esc.Also how do you go about lubricating the prop shaft.
Thanks Col.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.