Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut down racing Apache  (Read 3874 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Cut down racing Apache
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:58:42 pm »

After been asked by a few guys about a lower version of my Apache i decided to build one,shes been lowered by 1" although nothing is removed at the bow so this makes for a lower sleaker hull with a little less curve to the deck if this makes sense,anyway heres a few pics of her so far also a cpl of her sat back in the mould to show how much material was removed from the hull moulding.Theres still room to fit a zen in there under the hatch but i may modify the hatches to encorporate a dash to give a little more clearance if need be.Ill test fit a motor later and see.This should make an awesome fast race hull,still having the Apache performance in the chop while been sleaker and more streamlined thus should be faster especially in the calmer conditions than the bigger verion.Weight so far is 9lb with rails installed etc.

F1 madness

Re: Cut down racing Apache
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:56:05 am »

top job  :-)) :-)) :-))

John Mk2

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:31 am »

Look's the Bizz ;) Should  turn better on flat water ? Lower C of G %)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »

Looks good!
  :-))

Maybe a room for a different topic but can you take us through some of the design considerations when
 designing a race boat from scratch martin?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:52 am »

Look's the Bizz ;) Should  turn better on flat water ? Lower C of G %)
Thats the idea,not only turns but all out speed should be better,nothing new it been a cut down Apache they have been arround a while but this is the first ive done using my Apache hull.Knowing how well my hull runs i know this things gonna be a flier and cant wait to see just how well these run.Hopefully someone will want to race one in the BMPRS next season or even OMRA shes legal having 3 1/2" freeboard to the bottom of the deck lip.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:00:17 am »

Looks good!
  :-))

Maybe a room for a different topic but can you take us through some of the design considerations when
 designing a race boat from scratch martin?

Hi Martin,
i hope to have something to share next year on this subject as im starting a brand new design from scratch and will show everything from making the plugs to making moulds and the finished hulls.
I did have an article printed a few weeks back in model boats mag showing how i go about making my actuall hulls from the moulds,Scoop did the writeup from some notes and pics i sent him  ok2.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:58:15 am »

Hi i test fitted my zen in the hull and she fits ok,will need to use drop mounts or the ones in the link which gives about 1/4" clearance from plug to hatch.If different mounts are used a hole can be cut in the centre drivers position for the plug then you could stick a driver over it  to hide it  ok2.Only issue i had with the mounts in the link was the rubbers were too long which made the width of the mounts 5 1/4" instead of 5" so ill need to find some different rubbers  >>:-(.Just something to be aware of if anyone orders those mounts for there boats,my rails are 5 1/8" as it is to make things easier to fit so i was surprised these wouldnt fit till i measured them  :((.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/engine-mount-Zenoah-gas-230-260PUM-5-rails-rc-boat-/140336213814?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20acb0af36

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

Hmmm correction the plug touches the hatch grrrr,good thing is its where the central drivers position is so i can cut a hole then stick a driver on top to hide the plug as stated before so not a big problem.I hadnt allowed for the propper height of motor to allow propper clearance for the bolts into the rails dohh.Annoying thing is the plug is only 1/8" too high ,maybe on the next one ill cut the hull a tad higher,but i will have a play and try and come up with a solution,maybe a new hatch with no central drivers position and incorporate a dash also that should give me the clearance needed.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 06:28:47 pm »

Thinking ill build this one up with a modded zen i have,get her running see how she goes then maybe sell her minus radio gear.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:59 am »

Different engine mounts should allow you to get the engine down to the height you show in  your picture. I would try the Top Secret mounts http://topsecretboats.com/inc/sdetail/206 as the L-brackets bolt relatively high on the rails.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:49:39 am »

Different engine mounts should allow you to get the engine down to the height you show in  your picture. I would try the Top Secret mounts http://topsecretboats.com/inc/sdetail/206 as the L-brackets bolt relatively high on the rails.
Hi Ian these work ok as will the drop mounts you linked which i also have,depending where i mount the engine it will or wont clear the hatch.I will play around with balance and see,i don't want the motor too far back because i dint want too much pipe hanging out the back nor do i want it too far forward.If i can get away with not having to cut the hatch i will but like i say if i need to i can do so and in the meantime im designing  a new hatch for future builds to make things a little easier.

bigtee

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »

mart
you can always cut the plug down  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

did you get out testing yesterday , a tad windy up there  %% %% %% %%

cheers tony

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »

mart
you can always cut the plug down  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

did you get out testing yesterday , a tad windy up there  %% %% %% %%

cheers tony

I wont be cutting the plug down Tony  ive heard both good and bad things about doing it mostly bad but that said i cant be bothered to tamper with em to be honest for the sake of 1/4"  :-).Havent decided what to do with this one as yet, i have a cpl of full size ones to build so it will give me time to decide.Yup its windy but hope to get some boating done next week.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.