Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: davits . type and design  (Read 1530 times)

nige2307

davits . type and design
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »

here goes another of my vague and hopeful query ...
   I have trawled the net looking for inspiration yet so far to no avail for upper deck layout, schematics/plans for a steam tug i am attempting to re_build.   I have no constraints other than steps going atop wheelhouse at 90 deg.  my primary concern (other than inexperience and ineptitude)  is the lifeboat and davits.  not too keen on the large box section type partly because i cant fabricate without plan or design, and even then i question my ability.  also cant purchase as dont like ordering online due to bad experience which cost me grief and 450 pound..  I also am not sure regarding boat placing on said deck.  would i have to extend upper decks width to accommodate boat +davits and how would davits be secured?  the "beam ?" in scale is 9" with "superstructure" (right term?)width 5" and scale is1/32.    have gotten bitten (for the most part) and enjoying do re_build , and i know "if it looks right......" but having no experience in whats right is a hindrance.   and never seeing a tug boat does also place me at a disadvantage.   

please .. somebody/anybody take pity on an idiot with enthusiasm! and assist!

anyone fancy been a mentor/tutor ?  eh?

NIGE

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: davits . type and design
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »

Hi Nige,

Idiocy and enthusiasm go hand in glove on Mayhem anyway!

(a) Look at as many photos of steam tugs as you can find. There are loads on line and not a few on the forum anyway. I'm not into tugs myself but there are plenty here who are.
(b) It seems to me that the vast majority of davits in the steam tug era are the simple tapered round ones. There were some oddities but they seem to be rare. I built a model of St Abbs (Naval Rescue SteamTug c. 1918) at 1:35 scale and 4mm diameter was right for that with about 1.5 inches horizontal dimension. I had to extend them vertically so I filed down the last 6mm of the thick end to about 3m and soldered it into 4mm brass tube.
(c) If you want to get a real feel for them, beg, borrow or even buy a copy of British Seam Tugs by Phil Thomas. Really worth while.

Tony

nige2307

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »

will check out the magazine.   who sells it?  w.h smits?    is there a maximum reach for tubular davits or would i have to make a deck extension and locate boat on it, and if so how would davit be secured?  have davits but legs not long enough to reach main deck.  your extension method sounds a good idea.  got to do something as cant build upper deck and its  frustrating.

if ya have any ideas ..cheers.
  If not then thank you for assistance and you can come dance with me and slugs  anytime. :-))

cheers  NIGE

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »

Sorry Nige, British Steam Tugs is a brilliant reference book. Amazon do it for about £25.00. Will give you plenty to think about as far as the upper works are concerned as well. Loads of photos, drawings etc.

Tony

nige2307

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18:46 am »

oh well,    wishful thinking on my part again.  cheers for correcting that. 
 book, amazon, 25.00!   got it.

cheers NIGE
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.