Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: measurements, sizes, scale,.. Idiot needs help!  (Read 3887 times)

nige2307

measurements, sizes, scale,.. Idiot needs help!
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:35 pm »

I seem to have underestimated just what and how much is involved in "sorting out" a model.  the model (tug) came to me in a mismatched and poor state, hull and deck OK. as is wheelhouse, the " wooden bit" which goes 3/4 way round wheelhouse  the rest was done ...... differently!   1/2" ply planked for superstructure , 6mm x14mm dowel for bollards, anchor winch 12cm from bow and made with one block of wood and one dowel , scale wrong.  funnel although well built was 2" copper pipe and ladders wrong scale  .. you get the idea.    the impression i got was either it was done by 2 people, the second not been so exact/bothered or someone who lost plans and lost interest, finished it for grandkids.   running gear..... suffice to say speed control was a train set one and not electronic..circa 1970.  soooo.. i decided to sort it, quick fix... ha!  only bits not touched are deck,hull,wheelhouse.   thats the story, now heres the problem...   I have very limited boat knowledge...  need help...   so the first of many questions

1. height from deck to upper deck ?   an average/median .
2.funnel dia and height.
3.porthole size/height from deck.
4.was 1/36 want 1/32 any reason i cant?
5.will i lose my marbles before long
6.wont finish within week,   will i ??
7. what dimensions are doors on boat?
8. why am i slavering like a deranged moron and feel like one yet not?  
9.         Is this fun or masochism?

will end it by saying basically....   help I'm (moderated - no simulated bad language please - Admin) an losing plot!

thanks ....     NIGE x      going to pay with slugs in garden now so bye bye peoples

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: measurements, sizes, scale,.. Idiot needs help!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »

Nige, I (sort of) sympathise with you!
But without anything else to go on....
Deck to deckheads in the region of 7' to 7'6".
Centres of portholes (scuttles) about eyeheight fo man of average height.
Diameters of ports around 12" - 14".
Doors somewhere around 2'6" wide (not far of some house interior doors)
Door height depends if it has a "storm step" or not. Assume a storm step to be about 1' high.
Otherwise you won't be far out if you use a house (internal) door, perhaps a few inches shorter, and minus the height of the storm step if there is one. Most external doors on a ship/boat weather deck have them.
Get rid of the (heavy) copper funnel and get a bit of plastic pipe that looks about right (much lighter).
But it sounds to me as if you need to chop off the upperworks and rebuild at your preferred scale. That could actually be easier than trying to ammend what you have.
Yes, you'll lose your marbles...so join the club. Call it all "funny masochism" and just try to enjoy it!
I can help with pics of a tug windlass and so on if you're interested. But there are many on this forum better versed in tug-lore than I am. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

nige2307

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »

bryan you may have saved my sanity!   thank you.

have already canned all except bits which looked original (3 bits).  fabricated a funnel from pipe transfered whistle etc.  just started on upperworks  in styrene which with your assistance should be easier.
one question  portholes.. is that internal (glass) dia or external(overall)? 
  thanks for offer of windlass pics ect... which i may take you up on when time arises. if thats ok?
mes

was overwhelmed with amount involved, but i must admit .. its a satisfying and engrossing pastime, and worth the aggro( bet i sing a different tune along the way at times though)

thanks again NIGE !

soldier151

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:52:16 pm »

Hi Nige,
Welcome to world of MAYHEM, aptly named ! I would suggest you join your local club, you'll get a wealth of info from the members.  If you care to send me a PM I can fix you up with a scale chart plus an article I did for our Club Newsletter on scale bits
Soldier151

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:12:45 am »

Hi Nige,
Welcome to world of MAYHEM, aptly named ! I would suggest you join your local club, you'll get a wealth of info from the members.  If you care to send me a PM I can fix you up with a scale chart plus an article I did for our Club Newsletter on scale bits
Soldier151

Soldier,

If it is not too large for you to post it would be nice to see it posted in this thread.  O0 O0 O0

Must be others out there who will also benefit.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:48:18 pm »

bryan you may have saved my sanity!   thank you.

have already canned all except bits which looked original (3 bits).  fabricated a funnel from pipe transfered whistle etc.  just started on upperworks  in styrene which with your assistance should be easier.
one question  portholes.. is that internal (glass) dia or external(overall)? 
  thanks for offer of windlass pics ect... which i may take you up on when time arises. if thats ok?
mes

was overwhelmed with amount involved, but i must admit .. its a satisfying and engrossing pastime, and worth the aggro( bet i sing a different tune along the way at times though)

thanks again NIGE !
Thats usually the glass size, but as the glass is only about 1/2" less than the brass surround you'll hardly know the difference. By the way, from your query I think you may be in danger of fitting the thing back to front. The main flange that fastens to the bulkhead is on the inside of the bulkhead....only a small (1/4" deep very fine ring protrudes outwards). Bryan.

wibplus

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »

Soldier,

If it is not too large for you to post it would be nice to see it posted in this thread.  O0 O0 O0

Must be others out there who will also benefit.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Good thinking there.   :-))   :-))   :-))   O0

nige2307

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:15:09 am »

soldier...pm on way .

bryan..   so the part with the pin holes goes inside?    is the flange meant to be flush with exterior ?

sorry for been so blunt but the "other half" says i cant play on computer.   

cheers nige

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »

soldier...pm on way .

bryan..   so the part with the pin holes goes inside?    is the flange meant to be flush with exterior ?

sorry for been so blunt but the "other half" says i cant play on computer.   

cheers nige
Nige, the entire unit fits inside the cabin or wherever. The only bit visible from the outside is (obviously) the exerior of the glass, the 1/2" or so of the brass rim holding the glass, the small protruding fram locating rim...and the heads of the 8 round headed bolts that fasten the whole shebang to the bulkhead. I've got a photo of one somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:42 pm »

Nige, just remembered that your model is of a tug. So the "real thing" would probably have 2 types of port (scuttle).
The colour photo is what you would see from the outside of a bulkhead. I haven't shown the fastening bolts because of the scale (1/48). These are "inward" opening.
However, the 2nd sort would be the type of port fitted to the Engine Room skylight. These are "outward" opening, and could well be fitted with a glass of perhaps 18".
Sorry, I just plain forgot about the skylight things!

nige2307

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:14 pm »

Bryan  i do apologies for not replying  and hope you will forgive this indiscretion .  If I appeared to be ignorant it was unintentional and i am truly grateful for not only your assistance but also any other members .    Bryan   sorry.. ( bended knees, tears, type of sorrow)   can you accept my apology?

and check my other post   re:  davits types..     cheers.

subserviently yours  NIGE

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »

Bryan  i do apologies for not replying  and hope you will forgive this indiscretion .  If I appeared to be ignorant it was unintentional and i am truly grateful for not only your assistance but also any other members .    Bryan   sorry.. ( bended knees, tears, type of sorrow)   can you accept my apology?

and check my other post   re:  davits types..     cheers.

subserviently yours  NIGE
I'll send you a PM shortly. BY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.