Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Loyal Supporter Build  (Read 23373 times)

Dan2010

Loyal Supporter Build
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:30:26 pm »

sep 30th .

Oki So i finally got round to ordering my Loyal class from model slipway last week and thanks to the fast delivery i received it after 3 days  ..

before i started any work i read though the instructions and done some history, i decided that instead of doing everything at once id slow down and take my time.

Dan2010

Re: Loyal Supporter Build
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:17 pm »

november 1st..

i took a trip to my local model shop and picked up some filler... plastered the inside of the hull where the deck will be and started to sand it ..

i also sanded down the join that goes around the hull .....

Dan2010

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »

november 8th .
i havent had much time lately to work on the boat .. but i managed to get around to cutting out some of the freeing ports . 

Dan2010

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:13 pm »

23rd november .

got the last of the freeing ports cut out today and made a start on the side doors, i had a bit of trouble getting the cut out on the hulls to the correct size but nothing a bit of filler wont fix..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »

Following your thread with interest. I rather like that vessel. It'll be interesting to see how you make out and what you think of the kit.

John

Dan2010

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:50:09 pm »

8th november ,

just relised in my last 2 post's i put november . lol silly me . i should have put October.

anyway today i got the prop shaft it .. had a small problem with the prop shaft because i managed to drill the hole on an angle, its oki now but the hole is a tad big and will need to be filled in ......

the rudder went on better, just a slight between the hull and the cast metal fitting for the rudder. yet again nothing some filler wont fix .

i also managed to cut the hole out for at the front of the hull . i was hoping to do the others but i need to double check my measurements

if anyone can spot where i can improve or if any of you have any advice , please say because im always open to advice, :) thanks guys . more to come tomorrow once i get to Antics to get some wood for the servo shelf, and the stand for the power distribution panel :D

Dan2010

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »

Following your thread with interest. I rather like that vessel. It'll be interesting to see how you make out and what you think of the kit.

John

Hi John . the kits fantastic.... like tbh its good for me cuz its HUGE lol and from my past models i dont do well with small models , i tend to lose parts and break parts, however the parts on this kit are ideal for me as they are bigger .

i also found the models by design have a kit for 1/48 scale, i hope after this kit i can get the 1/48 kit and paint it in the yellow buff .

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:37 pm »

dan if you are close to bristol docks there is a full sized one moored there most weeks , it out of mod service but seems to be used for private charter and sea cadet trips , she is painted in light grey , may be good for some close up photos ? sorry cant remember her name , maybe contacting the local harbour masters office they can put you in touch with its owner ? jon

Dan2010

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:00:27 am »

dan if you are close to bristol docks there is a full sized one moored there most weeks , it out of mod service but seems to be used for private charter and sea cadet trips , she is painted in light grey , may be good for some close up photos ? sorry cant remember her name , maybe contacting the local harbour masters office they can put you in touch with its owner ? jon

Yes jon that is my plan for tomorrow as a matter of fact. i live in kingwood . so antics is just a sort ride, i tend to stop by the docks on the way and get a few snap's .
the pride of bristol is and interesting vessel . i remember taking a tour of it as a young boy in the harbour festival .
i have the website of the owners and i am trying to get hold of them . just so i can find out some info on the engine, and maybe gain some inside snaps .

Dan

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:11 am »

I believe this is the one Jon was referring to.

John

Dan2010

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:29 am »

yes, thats the pride of bristol. its user for weekends away, i always thought there was two down in bristol docks, when i went down last weekend there's only the one .

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:06 am »

I took the picture last September. I only saw the one. I wasn't aware they may be another one.

John

Dan2010

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 12:18:12 am »

ahh . yeah i remember seeing two . altho i was about 7 lol .
yeah i went down last weekend and thats the only one ..
not sure how much of the vessel is original. worth a look tho .

thanks for the photo john .. ill post the ones i get tomorrow on aswell .

Dan 

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:18 am »

Howdy, Dan2010, and welcome to the Loyal "club."  I am about 90-95% complete with mine, painted in the yellow of the RMAS.  Here are a couple of threads where others have built Loyal models (I have not put up a build log yet, as I have been slo-o-ow at it.)  It's a very nice kit, and MS gives great support to me over here in Washington State, US, by e-mail and quick shipment of a few parts I have broken.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25867.0;topicseen

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1856.25

There may still be other build logs, like on RCGroups.com, and on the MS website.

Dan2010

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 12:45:58 am »

CGAux26 yeah i know what you mean . i got my boat on the 22nd sept and i opened it up and i ordered the brass prop , thing is the brass prop needs a 5mm prop shaft where as the white metal one only needs a 4mm.... anyway i opened it up and tried to screw the prop on and it wouldnt go .. i emailed MS and to be honest i wasnt expecting a reply for days because i know they popular and tbh i didnt really need the shaft for a few weeks.... anyway i checked my email to find something and to my surprise they'd sent me an email. must have been within half hour to an hour,
anyway i received the new shaft within days and i can only thank them for their help ... anyone wanting a model boat should go to model slipway ..
 CGAux26 would be cool if you posted some pictures with some info ....
if you want ill give you my e-mail and we can exchange info

Dan  :-) :-))

Dan2010

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »

Oki so i went down to bristol docks today and took some pictures of the "pride of bristol" witch is a loyal class ship. it not the same as the one im building but it was nice to get some snaps to work on ...

Dan2010

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »

i have also made a start on the motor mount .. hopfully but the end of the night the motor mount will be in place along wth the servo shelf

triumphjon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:10 pm »

hi dan , your right there used to be a pair of them , the other one used to have a black hull and grey superstructure , although ive not noticed it for a while (bristol is my home city ) it may be worth asking over at the office at underfall yard as they may know of its whereabouts ? it wont be any further up river as its to tall to get under bristol bridge ! , bathurst basin i think is mostly a cruising club ? , although it may be down at portishead  ? maybe a google sat map will show its location , its cheaper than gallons of petrol searching !

stew49

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:01 pm »

Hey Dan, Im at the same stage as you on my Loyal class. Im thinking of modeling it on the SD MENAI . it is a good kit to build. hope to see more of your build.

Dan2010

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:48 pm »

Hey Dan, Im at the same stage as you on my Loyal class. Im thinking of modeling it on the SD MENAI . it is a good kit to build. hope to see more of your build.

thanks .. im not to keen on the yellow buff myself . however i do tend to build a smaller 1/48 tender and paint it yellow buff..

you should post some pic's on this threat be nice to see another modellers work of art  :-)

Dan

stew49

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »

I will have to sort it out one day and put it on here. i do stuggle with some things on it, being in a wheelchair,and eye sight going too lol. but there is always a way around problems. i dont live to far from Menai so might try and get some photos of the real thing.

stewart.

fatcat123

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:01 pm »

Dan, i'm liking the build so far, keep up the good work.

Stewart, I'd also love to see your build to what is quite an atttractive boat.

Dan

Dan2010

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:52:58 pm »

Dan, i'm liking the build so far, keep up the good work.

Stewart, I'd also love to see your build to what is quite an atttractive boat.

Dan

Thanks , ive just done the motor mount . i tried to make one but im not sure if it will last , i will post a picture in the next few mins , just waiting for the pictures to upload.

Dan D

Dan2010

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:47 pm »

heres the pic's of the motor mount

Okay i know what you guys are thinking " what the jiminy cricket's is that"

well thats why attempt of a motor mount . dont worry i have spare wood for any mod's

what i intend to do is add 4 screws to the side frame and hold the motor on with elastic bands . not sure if it will work but ive seen pics .. lol 
 :D
 because of all the added stuff im putting in the boat im going to need a power distribution panel ... i hope to make a stand that will enable me to take the top off so i can get to the motor for any reason's

im hoping to make a start on the servo shelf tomorrow . so will add pics as i go . :)

thanks guys

Dan

stew49

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 11:19:52 pm »

ok Dan you made me want to do some more. i will try and put a few pics on here tomorrow.
 all the best   stewart
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.