Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Loyal Supporter Build  (Read 23374 times)

Dan2010

Re: Loyal Supporter Build
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:34 pm »

ok Dan you made me want to do some more. i will try and put a few pics on here tomorrow.
 all the best   stewart

lol sorry stewart just ina boat build mood lol .

anyways i have no doubts that your model will look fab  :-))

Dan

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »

dan:

I'm wondering if your prop shaft tube and motor mount may not need to be a little more beefy. I'm thinking of vibration and wondering if it might not tell, over time, on the mounts you.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

I spotted this in Milford Haven a little while back, is she a Loyal Supporter too?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan2010

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:46:59 pm »

dan:

I'm wondering if your prop shaft tube and motor mount may not need to be a little more beefy. I'm thinking of vibration and wondering if it might not tell, over time, on the mounts you.

John

yes i intend to get the motor running tomorrow or over the next week or two , too see what it will be like, i found out that SHG models do have a mount for some motors and i may ring them to see if the have one bigg enough for my motor..

Dan2010

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 11:55:54 pm »

I spotted this in Milford Haven a little while back, is she a Loyal Supporter too?

Hi martain . she is infact R.M.A.S. ELKSTONE and she used to carry the pennant number (A353).

she is of the same type of vessel . however not the same class.

as you know the loyal supporter is of the loyal class build . the R.M.A.S. ELKSTONE is of the 31 Clovelly Class.

altho they are different class vessels they are simular and i thank you for posting the pictures. .. they are vary interesting  :-)

Dan

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:05 am »

Here's my motor mount, and how it's installed in the hull.  I made a 1/8" thick plywood platform with blind mounting nuts and painted it.  Having the blind nuts lets me use hex head screws, so the motor can be removed and reinstalled with no loss of strength.  It's glued into the hull with 3M 4200 white sealant.  The motor mount came with the Robbe geared motor.  It's a thick piece of aluminum sheet, bent at 90 degrees and machined for the fins on the motor.  I use a thin rubber sheet between motor mount and plywood, which cuts down vibration and noise.  Having this type of mount will allow me to change motors, as long as the new motor has a shorter centerline height, and then it can be shimmed to align with the prop shaft.

I have made a similar mount for my Springer's motor, and no problems after 3 years hard running. 

Dan2010

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »

oki so the motor stand didnt go so well .   {:-{ :(( so im going to need to think of another way to hold the motor down ..

on the plus side i managed to get the servo on .
i made a little self that will enable me to still access the motor ..

hopfully tomorrow i will get the hinge's done on the side door and get the holes done at the rear and front of the vessel .

Dan

stew49

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 11:37:51 am »

Hi Dan, i see you have a brass prop on your model. did it come with the kit, or have you bought it?
Ive done a bit to mine got the motor in and a shelf for servo.

Dan2010

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »

Hi Dan, i see you have a brass prop on your model. did it come with the kit, or have you bought it?
Ive done a bit to mine got the motor in and a shelf for servo.

Hi stew49 yes i brought the prop, i think it was 12 pounds, i think the brass prop look better ! ..

your servo mount's nice, where did you get your motor mount from ? if i may ask .

im still finding it hard to get hold of one ..

i have been trying to get some done on the boat today , hit a brick wall with the gun whale doors, i cant seem to get the correct measurement's for them .

Dan

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 12:29:59 pm »

Dan

Those motor mounts are quite easy to make. Make a cardboard template to get the hole placement on the motor and base right, then use the cardboard as a pattern to trace the relative sizes and positions onto a piece of aluminum or brass (1/16" thick is sufficient). After the holes are drilled bend the metal to a right angle and mount. Job done for pennies rather that buy for pounds.

John

stew49

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »

think i payed £4 off of ebay. i will have to get me a brass prop looks alot better. ive only screwed thr servo shelf on, so can easily take it off. i need to think about battery box next, need battery first though lol.
as for the (gun whale doors) do you mean bulwark doors on side of hull. i would cut them out smaller and then file them out to fit  D27

stewart

Dan2010

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »

i got a 12V battery . fits in nice and snugg .

yea well i cut the doors out and put D27 in . but in the instructions it says to make up hinge's like i dont want them to open i just need a measurement of the hinge to cut out of plastic, mainly for strength ..

oki ill have alook ..

the brass prop i got my from model slipway, its takes a 5mm shaft , i got a feeling the shaft you have is 4mm..
try
prop shop and or westbourne models, they do brass props..
http://www.prop-shop.co.uk
http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/propellers-and-shafts-5605-0.html

Dan

triumphjon

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:40 pm »

hi dan , knowing you are in bristol have you tried the other two shops to get any parts from ? you have als hobbies in filton ave ( bs 7 )  and what used to be fred coulson models ( still there but under a new owner / name ) on wells road near the happy landings public house ! if you need a better marine type shop then waverly models are down at clevedon !

Dan2010

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »

hi dan , knowing you are in bristol have you tried the other two shops to get any parts from ? you have als hobbies in filton ave ( bs 7 )  and what used to be fred coulson models ( still there but under a new owner / name ) on wells road near the happy landings public house ! if you need a better marine type shop then waverly models are down at clevedon !

Hi triumphjon i have been to als hobbies , they didnt have much. i havent been to the other one soo ill take a drive out there next week..
im going to the warwick boat show the weekend soo im going to take the motor up with me and see what i can find

Dan2010

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

okay so i spend the morning adding filler to the rudder area, and sanding down the hull to create the curve,

pictures to follow...

Dan

farrow

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »

Those pics of the grey F/T are of one of three boats, the Raliegh training boats, Manly, Millbrook and one other. They where only ones to be painted grey and fly the white ensign, besides having the prefix HMS. They where sold in indecent haste by the mod to the scrap guy in Pompey for £119k, he sold one on immediately for £250k and a similiar price for the second one not long after. They where not advertised to other RN departments ethier and one or two went nuts when they found out as they desperately wanted them, they had all just been fitted with new high definition radar at over £50k each, which went with the boats.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 06:40:42 pm »

builds are very interesting i have one bought 75% built no motor what motors did you use?  i have a 540  or a 540 geared2-1 which one would be best on 6volt thank you   slug

Dan2010

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:07 pm »

oki i havent have much time today , i went to the model boat show in warwickshire :D pictures to follow later..

i did manage to buy a motor mount . only problem is the holes need to be re-drilled because the screws supplied are too big.

i also managed to buy a 15amp, viper speed controller, im hopeing all the electrics are in so on the 5th december i can take it out to the boating lake and see how she runs .

Dan

Dan2010

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:26 pm »

builds are very interesting i have one bought 75% built no motor what motors did you use?  i have a 540  or a 540 geared2-1 which one would be best on 6volt thank you   slug

Hi Slug, um im not sure i have a 12 volt motor in mine,, either one should be oki if you ask me .. the 540 is a graupner am i right in thinking ??

Dan

Dan2010

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:32 pm »

here some pics from todays boat show

colin-d

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 11:09:14 am »

this seems to be a popular Build at the moment i enjoyed building mine

My Loyal

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

thank you for the info on motors willtry non geared first fingers crossed ihave a spare 900 would run on 6 volts

farrow

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »

Ref the grey boat in Bristol, it is one of three used by HMS Rayleigh, Millbrook and two others. They where the only F/T that where painted Grey overall and also fly the white ensign, the RNX boats flew there own Blue ensign as did the PAS/RMAS boats did. The three RN F/T where sold out from the MoD to the scrapper in Portsmouth for £119k who quickly sold two for £250k each, they never made it into another MoD dep't.

soldier151

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:55 am »

Hi Guys,
Been following your build, well done,
Checked the Club Database and came acroos the following articles which might be of interest
Loyal Moderator - Kit Review Ivor Warne - Model Boats Mar/Apr/May 96
Loyal Moderator -David Metcalf - MB Dec 1981
Loyal Fleet Tender - David Semper Kit Review Marine Modelling Jun 95
John Hodges Kit Update Marine Modelling Feb 97
Alan Poole - Marine Modelling Jan 2005
Ivor Warne - Kit Review Marine Modelling Apr 1996
Hope this helps - let me know if you need copies and I'll dig them out and photocopy
Cheers Soldier151 - A lifeboat freaky at Killingworth Model Boat Club (Up North) Howay the Lads

stew49

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 11:36:08 am »

Hey Dan, how's it going, have you got much more done. Ive done a bit more. putting deck supports in. Very fiddly things  %% Will put another pic up soon.

stewart
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.