Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol paint trouble!!  (Read 14031 times)

kiwi96

Humbrol paint trouble!!
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:31 am »

I  like the Humbrol paints. Lately when using them ( last few Years anyway) no matter how long I shake / stir them , when using a new tin the first half always goes on  a bit glossy. Any ideas. Need to stir more???. Mainly 128 as battleships use a lot. Changing to WEM paints but still awaiting orders as out of stock and I think first part lost in post as over 5 weeks now. Need to place new one soon.
Cheers.
Adrian.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humbrol paint trouble!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:24:52 am »

I've been having the same issue with humbrol 72 needs a bloody good shake (at least 5 mins)  before using.

bear in mind tho once the tin is half empty the paint moves inside the tin more when shook
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »

Adrian,

You don't say what type your are using is it enamel or acrylic, gloss, satin or matt?

Most paints do need a lot of stirring especially if they have been in stock for a long period. I use a stout stick or metal rod to shift any stubborn stuff at the bottom of the container and continue to stir until the paint is smooth and even in colour as well as texture.

Have you tried any of the other makes apart from WEM ,which are expensive for large amounts?  I have been using Revell acrylic for sometime and I find this sprays on extremely well, with good coverage and you only have to thin it with a small amount of water. Tamiya are also good but again are not cheap.

LB

Watchleader

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

This paint is excellent quality BUT does need thorough mixing as it may have stood for quite while since manufacture, or since it has stood on your shelf.
Shaking is not sufficient even if you do have "wrestlers wrists". <:( <:(
The only effective way of fully mixing is to stir vigorously.
This is not easy with these little tinlets, so go along to one of these cheapie shops and get a battery operated "expresso stirrer", cut off the rather elaborate wire whisk on the end and modify (bend) it into a hook shape.
Keep this hook small, about 6mm wide and 6mm long is ample.
Bend the hook back a little, (a bit like the shape on a kitchen mixer dough hook) to balance the hook so that it does not vibrate when operated. The shaft should stay in line.
This when used, will mix the paint thoroughly.  :-)) :-))
I made mine a couple of years ago and its still on its first battery. One AA size alkaline. O0 O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:17 pm »

When you think you've mixed it enough, do the same amount of time again, at least, plus some more!!  After all you can't over mix it can you?

I use a combination of heavy wire in a battery drill and wooden coffee stirers.  They are particularly good because having a large flat area they really move the paint around the tin.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:50:47 pm »

I now use a badger paint mixer, wouldnt be without it now.
Page 271  : http://www.squirestools.com/11-18a.pdf

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »

Hi Guy's  I use a home made paint paddle this fits in my  small drill . This is far better than stood there stirring away with a cocktail stick. White ensign paints from my experience do not like been thinned with white spirit.The paint tends to go in to a solid mess use a good thinner to thin Humbrol or Perkins. You may find that once Humbrol paints are opened any paint left in the tin skins over very quickly this did not happen with the Old Humbrol paints.I store all my part empty tins upside down this seems to stop them skinning over.

kiwi96

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »

Many thansk for all replies.
I am using enamals.
I stirr so that all solids on bottom are gone and paint is running free with no traces of un mixed paint. Will try the espresso stirrer. As I have a large area to do could I dispence a few tins into a larger jar and then continue to mix. This way I will have a bigger BATCH to use so may not be such a bigger problem.
Thanks.
Adrian.

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »

its just not as good as it used to be !

John @ WEM

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

Humbrol is now made in China,  with resulting problems in both formula and colour consistency.

bobk

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »

As I see from this thread I am not the only one having problems with Humbrol paints.  40 odd years ago it covered in one coat, matt went nicely matt in under half an hour, provided of course a lot of vigorous tin shaking AND stirring well after opening.

After a lot of detail scratch-work on building a new set of ships boats for my WW1 cruiser I have started to re-stock with the familiar trusty tinlets.  Detail is Plasticard and Plastruct sections.  Never used to 'react' with Humbrol.

Using matt No 26 Khaki and a small brush I started the basic 'wood' painting to the interiors.  Went on highly patchy, still tacky after 24 hours, and more gloss than matt. 

Got a new tinlet, a lot more shaking, and loads of stirring with a wooden coffee stirrer.  Five hours later, just as bad.
Any ideas or advice guys?

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »

Bob I usually prime plasticard with acryic primer from a spray can and have no trouble with
Humbrol  sticking or drying.

Geoff

bobk

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »

Thanks Geoff.  I will try that (when it eventually dries !)  Strange, never had problems with ABS before, maybe the modern Humbrol has changed.

mickyrubble

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »

Hi,
i too think that Humbrol just isn't the paint it used to be.Now i mainly use Revel.
 O0 O0 O0 O0

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:00:35 pm »

It appears that like a lot of other paints on the market. That Humbrol is not as well formulated as it used to be.
I have found that it does not appear to have as much pigment, resulting in poorer coverage. John.

bobk

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »

If that is the case, sad.  Funny, but it no longer even smells the same.  I got another tinlet, and that came out the same.  Tonight I opened a No 5 gloss grey.  Even after massive shaking and stirring it looked bright duck egg blue in the tin, so I put the lid back on.

Decades ago one of my main pleasures in model making was the fine detail paintwork I could achieve.  (See my old Apollo scratch-build from  ABS photo on my K Class submarine thread.)   I am truly flummoxed.   <:(

bobk

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Sorry to post twice, but some photo illustration of my problem is required.
a)  'Matt Kharki' ships boats.  2 coats.  Also shown is No 5 Gloss Grey, which is bright duck egg blue!

(click to enlarge)

b) My previous scratch built model painting, log time ago,  using the 'same' paints.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »

Knowing what some Chinese products are like possibly the mixer is colour blind. Probably cheaper to employ
John.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »

It would not be suprising to discover that the formula has indeed changed.
Especially in view of the current trend of the banning of long used chemicals for environmetal reasons.
As the ads goes 'Oils aint Oils'

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:22 pm »

yes its true they dont smell the same! nor are they the same colours

I did a test peice tonight with some Humbrol number 21 gloss black... one tin is at least 20 years old maybe more and the other was purchased recenly

The old tin had better cover and obliteration and at the moment has a better "glossy" finish and the black is a different shade

Ill try to post up pictures tommorow

It looks like the same is true of Revell paints too
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

bobk

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:51:33 am »

It is probably true that H&S legislation may have excluded certain formula components, in which case maybe the modern paints are the best that can be produced under current EU laws.  I remember when lead based exterior house paint covered better and lasted much longer  than modern alternatives.

I just tried Matt White on the hull undersides, which was a lot better, and dried matt in under an hour.  However, it will need another coat to cover properly.  Thoroughly mixed they all seem thinner consistency than I remember.  It will be a real bind to use multiple coats when I get down to very fine detailing.

Essex2visuvesi:   20 years old?  I really regret throwing away my huge collection of paints at a time when I did not foresee taking this up again.  Same goes for all my model making tools that I am gradually having to replace.

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 07:01:24 pm »

This paint is excellent quality BUT does need thorough mixing as it may have stood for quite while since manufacture, or since it has stood on your shelf.
Shaking is not sufficient even if you do have "wrestlers wrists". <:( <:(
The only effective way of fully mixing is to stir vigorously.
This is not easy with these little tinlets, so go along to one of these cheapie shops and get a battery operated "expresso stirrer", cut off the rather elaborate wire whisk on the end and modify (bend) it into a hook shape.
Keep this hook small, about 6mm wide and 6mm long is ample.
Bend the hook back a little, (a bit like the shape on a kitchen mixer dough hook) to balance the hook so that it does not vibrate when operated. The shaft should stay in line.
This when used, will mix the paint thoroughly.  :-)) :-))
I made mine a couple of years ago and its still on its first battery. One AA size alkaline. O0 O0

Ikea have the coffee battery stirrers in if you live near at £1.19 just remove the spring and they work a treat, switch of before removing from paint. I know obvious but simple mistake and pebbled finish on everything within range.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »

Ikea have the battery coffee frothers at £1.19 just remove the spring and they work great.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:38 am »

Why not drop a small metal nut or bolt or screw in to the paint tin, replace the lid, then give the tin a dam good shake about, till the rattle noise gets really clear, then remove the lid and use the paint.

its saves trying to stir a full tin, which can cause spillage if you are not careful, its not messy, easy to do , plus you simply shake the tin before each use to ensure full mixing. then once empty, you transfer the "shake weight" you used  in to a fresh tin of same colour to prevent colour bleed .

Paint mixers are good, dont get me wrong, but just look at all the cleaning of kit you have to do afterwards, that uses more rags, thinners and time than really necessary.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

bobk

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:54 pm »

That sounds a good idea.  Strange, but the problem was worst when the tins were new, after the level dropped a bit it was less problematical.  Maybe they are using a larger proportion of thinners now, and once there is more airspace to shake and stir in it seems to mix better.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.