Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol paint trouble!!  (Read 14036 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Humbrol paint trouble!!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »

Why not drop a small metal nut or bolt or screw in to the paint tin, replace the lid, then give the tin a dam good shake about, till the rattle noise gets really clear, then remove the lid and use the paint.

its saves trying to stir a full tin, which can cause spillage if you are not careful, its not messy, easy to do , plus you simply shake the tin before each use to ensure full mixing. then once empty, you transfer the "shake weight" you used  in to a fresh tin of same colour to prevent colour bleed .

Paint mixers are good, dont get me wrong, but just look at all the cleaning of kit you have to do afterwards, that uses more rags, thinners and time than really necessary.
This idea is used in commercial spray cans and works well.  O0 O0

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:57 am »

I am having trouble also with my  NEW  Humbrol tinlets.

It really is very weak when the first coat goes on.  So much so, that the original under surface still shows.  I used both  Black  and  White yesterday and the coverage leaves a lot to be desired on both of them.

Is there any way of thickening it please ??   I've tried leaving the lid off all day but no results yet.  The results are very smooth and show no brush marks so I've done it again today and left it in the sunshine.  Hopefully this will dry it quicker before it all runs away again.   {:-{

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »

I am having trouble also with my  NEW  Humbrol tinlets.

It really is very weak when the first coat goes on.  So much so, that the original under surface still shows.  I used both  Black  and  White yesterday and the coverage leaves a lot to be desired on both of them.

Is there any way of thickening it please ??   I've tried leaving the lid off all day but no results yet.  The results are very smooth and show no brush marks so I've done it again today and left it in the sunshine.  Hopefully this will dry it quicker before it all runs away again.   {:-{

ken

I had the same issue with my last couple of tins I bought.
I'm thinking since they moved production to the land of the rising noodle the QC has slipped a little
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »

Kenny:  IMHO Humbrol paints are nothing like they were 40 years ago.  (See my reply #10 above).  I have even had two that were totally different colours from the lid ID after opening.  There may be a problem if the stock is old as I have had several that are 80% thinners and 20% very thick sediment.  In this case I have decanted out some of the thinners before mixing, which seems to help.

In my teen building days these always mixed nicely and most often covered in one coat, drying reasonably quickly.  Now browns white and black seem to need several coats.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

Their acrylics are just as bad, it took 4 coats of light grey to almost cover dark grey ABS.   >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34:24 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.  It's definitely horrible paint. I've also had to put several coats on which considering the parts were tiny, now looks a  'blobby finish'.   <:(

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:09 am »

Ive started moving over to valejo acrylics now
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/index.html

and for enamels it seems Revell paints are actually now better than Humbrol  :o
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:46 am »

I used Humbrol acrylic for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my lifeboats, and the finish was c***........I'll never use that again.

I have also noticed that with the enamel paint which I use almost all the time, the satin and matt finishes also give a gloss until the paint has been used and opened to the air for some time.

To stir my paint I use a small electric 12volt drill on 6 volts, with a wire "curlyjig"    attached and stir with that for a good 5 minutes, and then l leave the lid off for a couple of hours (if it's a new tin) before finally wisking it up again and using..............it seams to work and gets rid of the gloss effect.

Neil.

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 09:47:10 am »

Ive started moving over to valejo acrylics now
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/index.html

and for enamels it seems Revell paints are actually now better than Humbrol  :o
For large area's I use Halfords car paint, brilliant stuff, they don't do 'battleship grey' though the matt grey primer is a pretty good colour match for hulls.  :-)) Then again I might be a tad on the colour blind side  :} {-) {-)
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.