Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: its L4..the rescue...  (Read 6246 times)

rathikrishna

its L4..the rescue...
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

friends..i am adding a short video of my latest creation..the rescue craft...see here..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4RnsjOzvA

Mark47

Re: its L4..the rescue...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:44 pm »

Very nice! :-))

Looks the buisness on the water. O0

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »

Fantastic  :} you build some very nice models

hollowhornbear

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:06 pm »

cool goes well  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:33:11 am »

Good mornin friends...thank you all..but i know i am only a baby model maker among you all...i have to try to reach the level all you attained...all superb..

bassplayer1

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:13 pm »

Very good Rathi, Keep sharing with us!!!

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:26:42 am »

thank you again..now i am in leave to finish my new fire craft,and by yesterday i got a new craft, from my respected friend,and within time i have to make a foundation block, from expanded polystrene..i hope one day i can meet you all in an event some where in the world...so happy...

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »

Good mornin friends...thank you all..but i know i am only a baby model maker among you all...i have to try to reach the level all you attained...all superb..
don't put your self down, your models are very well made and you have a very high skill level.

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:57:13 pm »

But Lord..i am building all models, inc aircrafts from handy materials and i know you all are much fortunate people in the field of model making...all you can get needed stuffs around you just i buy sugar from my nearest shop...god may bless you all, and i am too thank full to you all as all your advice helped me a lots...good night...

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »

Rathi

That makes you a scratch builder. Mere mortals like me stand in awe of a scratch builder!

Mike

Lord Bungle

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »

your so right Mike, my models aren't to  Rathikrishna's standard (hopefully one day they will be) and I can jump in my car and head to a local supplier to get pretty much what ever I need.  Rathikrishna your models are scratch built, you pretty much have to make everything you use, that takes a real skill so don't be to hard on your self.

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:17:06 am »

Good after noon Sir..and thanks for the valuable advice..here i haven't any source to get stuffs...hen not in official duty, my place is a remote village surrounded by mountains, rivers, and sea. i born in a farming community...i have a drive of 30 kms to my nearest town, its a town, that we can only buy some chickens,vegetables,milk, and yes my favourite place..the internet cafe...now i am there..hi..hi..so i have to make all things for me including lights and flags...and second painful thing is restrictions due to gender...here girls are too restricted by tradition..so me also..my hard head ache is rubbing out excess body building putty from my crafts as i do not have any much greater muscle power..but any how, i am going to resign,my job..and will be with my LOOOOOVABLE MODELS at home...making new..new...new....ommmm..yummyyyy....thanks once again for the encouragement and advices...god may bless you all..and have a nice day...

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »

You are doing a brilliant job Rathikrishna. You are one of the true scratchbuilders. You must never forget that some of the greatest model ships were built by prisoners using everything from bits of wood, their own hair and even the meat bones from their food.

:-))

Tony

rathikrishna

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:28 am »

Oh my god...its agreat information Sir..thank you..

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:45 am »

rathikrishna,
It doesnt take muscle power to rub down filler, but some of the equipment that we use makes it even easier.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:16 am »

rathikrishna,
It doesnt take muscle power to rub down filler, but some of the equipment that we use makes it even easier.

Bob

all depends on what filler you are using, In my days in motor trade we had some stuff the panel boys had to file to shape as 40 grit would take to long. I was made from grp resin with a powder added, was nasty stuff

knoby

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

rathikrishna, your models are amazing, even more so for the lack of materials you have at your disposal. Many of us here are lucky to have everything readily available but we still cant reach the standards you produce.  Keep up the great work :-)) :-))
cheers Glenn

rathikrishna

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 02:32:10 pm »

Thanks once again great friends..i as trying to post my replies by yesterday..but our server was down...i have only one internet cafe at my native..30 kms around..so sorry for the delay..i dont have any other option..as now i am at home..and leave..loss of pay..to finish my new paddler...the SWAN..so one more request..i saw an advice from Bob, that can use machines...to grind off putty...will some one educate about it..?..and i am using the putty, intented for automobile finish..its based on nitrocellulose..if so it will be a great help..to me and likes me..ohhh..its a hard job...after doing it..oh..blistered fingers..and i need my MOM to feed me, and yes my buttocks will swell as her arms falls on my buttocks..with anger..i tried with my drill with a metal disc, and emery paper pasted on it..but it bites the entire craft instead of smooth finish...so HELP..its a kind request..i hope one day i can come to you all in an event, and can see and understand everything all you used to make models...with great hope..Rathi

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:57 pm »

Rathi

I think the key to your problem is to try and find an alternative to car body filler. It is much too hard for the type of models you make. My experience of model making is extremely limited and I have always been able to use "Araldite" or similar 2 part epoxy for filling small gaps. Hopefully others on the forum will be able to recommend suitable products - but we appreciate your difficulty in getting supplies. On the subject of using a power tool for sanding, my experience is the same as yours - you need to be able to hold the tool VERY firmly. One slight slip and disaster! If you have access to a flexible drive for your drill, you might find it easier. This technique is possible with a convex surface but not with a concave one. Much better, if you can, to find a more resilient filler that you can work easily by hand. In your position, I might be tempted to try using an adhesive mixed with a powder to give it bulk. (A last resort because getting a decent finish would be a real challenge.)

A spanking for blistered fingers seems a bit harsh (compared with jumping in the river to retrieve a stranded model!). Does your Mom appreciate your modelling skills - is she impressed with the finished product? We understand the problems you have with gender and culture but you might be able to win her round by telling her about Cherry Hill. She is internationally famous as a model maker. I can only find pictures of her and her work that would be subject to copyright but here's a link that shows a few.

http://www.neme-s.org/Ascot_Model_Engineering_Show/Ascot_England.htm

and some pictures I took last year at the Model Engineers Exhibition

Obviously she has extensive workshop facilities but the work you produce without them is awe inspiring!

Mike

bassplayer1

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 01:30:16 am »

Rathi

I do agree with Corposant that the putty you use is too hard for foam! I work a lot with foam myself scrutch building my rc aeroplanes and the putty I use is a household acrylic putty wich you can buy from a DIY store. It's light, dries hard and it's VERY easy to sand! If you can't find something simular where you live PLEASE feel free to PM me your address and I can send you some! Here are some photos to get an idea!

rathikrishna

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 07:42:38 am »

Good morning friends...and thanks for the links..and its all amazing and unbelievable..but friends, here i can only dream as i do not have any lathe work...even at my institute of aeronautics its almost impossible to do such machines..i was wandering behind many to make a coupler for my motor and props..nothing happend..so still i am using polyster tubes to connect it...and my MOM...i never afraid her, but i have to obey her to make her happy...she is compelling me to marry..as now i am 38. but i never because of two things.when compared to western countries, here especially in my place and society women are too restricted by culture.they must be a "ACHI BAHU" means a good wife and home maker, living within the protocol of society..so to me freedom is the main aspect...i know god gave me a gift that i have to follow..i love sooooooooooo much my models..i am well educated and earned much with my job and career...in aeronautics..and second aspect is, related to my health, due to an accident, happend when i was 16..i was too interested in off road bikes, since my child hood...so because of my extreame pressure my Papa, imported a off road bike for me from Suzuki, was a 224 cc two stroke one , and i started riding it all over our farmyards..as time passed, i saw some great action in TV shows, and because of my ignorance i secretly tried it..and after some sorties my bike hits a coconut tree with violent speed as i lost my control..the final result was too bad as i can remember only a yellow light as i aproach the tree...put it briefly the crushed handle bar penetrated in to my stomach, thus i lost my uterus, and some length of small intestine..so how can i marry one..?..so i am too happy that still i am a virgin...but my Mom is too sad, because she couldnt save me as she is a gyenecologist..so leave it..that is why she always restrict me a lots...then friends here i have only one shop to purchase paints and putty, is far away around 55 kms from me...they only keeps the needed materials that they can sell...

rathikrishna

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:57:11 am »

Bass player..its a nice name to hear..i love that instrument friend...friend..and yes you are sure..i can try here..but even some two part epoxy putty is a rare item here...and i have tried some french chalk powder with white glue, but after retaining in water for a little while, the craft will be only a memory as it starts to disassemble itself...so i turned again to putty...oh..its too hard to finish..lots of sweat, tiresome,blistered fingers..hi..hi..sure a nightmare..so i contacted my paint dealer once and he gave me a new stuff, and tried it...it was too harder than metal paste, so i lost one hull...so i am thinking how fortunate you all are...the only way to get some good stuffs to me is going to the town as Chennai, or Bangaluru, or Mumbai.the most nearest town is chennai, is 700 kms from me...and i gone twice to there when i was working at Chennai, as i came to know that all needed stuffs where much costlier than i think...a RS 380 motor costs more than 1700 Rs( a dollar is 47 Rs),  as i got it from scrap, for 5 rupees.so after taking an estimation, i realized that with that money i can buy a new sedan, from Toyota, or Honda..so its not fair..especially as i can do all things for me...so i am doing all again..again..again..and i never sit in free as my thoughts wander behind useless things..friends..i never stop making models..as all they are my children..they talks to me, as i am alone..they play, they share my feelings..they plays each other..so whenever i finishes a new craft, whatever may be it...aircraft, tank, ship, train, robot, car...its a new child to me..so i am waiting to get some usefull tips to make more crafts to me..thanks for the great advices and suggestions..by last some months, after joining in MBMH, i have rectified many headaches, that once i thought all it was not curable...all because of the advices from you all...so i am waiting for many technics that make my modeling life more easier..

rathikrishna

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 08:05:03 am »

Sir..i was lagging behind my personal things..ohh..i saw a Hercules and F104 G in your photos..i do not know any word to say to you, as i see it..i hope it will be a larger scale..if i was there..oh..just seeing like models are a grace...will you give me some pics of your finished models by a PM..not for any bussiness purpose, but to keep and look, as i can get many tips and techs from you all.. will you..its a kind request...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 09:20:43 am »

Rathi,
I did not mean power tools.
A good sanding block is a good start but this must be with a good supply of "wet and dry" sanding paper.
I think you make the most marvelous models with your materials but 2 questions always spring to mind.
What do you do with the completed models and do the materials you work with make a long serving model.

As has been said before the polystyrene is very soft so you would need a softer filler.
Just a basic water based filler will be fine as long as it is well covered with paint or sealed with a varnish.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

rathikrishna

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:01 am »

Hai Shipmate, now i am doing all finishing work with water proof paper, from 80 to 600 grit, on a wooden block..anyway i do not have any rough hands..so after working with this fingers will get blisters..so itried with gloves..but i cant get a depth of finishing while wearing a gloves...so try by naked hand...and yes at first i as trying with some ooden blocks, carved by my carpenter, and painted..but after a 4 year, it was eated up by borers..so i turned to expanded polystrene..it was on 1992, i finished my first model, a catamaran, 31 inches long, 10 inches wide craft, HYDRA, still runs today..after finishing with emery paper, in to basic hull shape, i paste around a 12 to 16 layers of face tissue all over the model, by diluted hite glue (PVA), so after drying it will be stiffer than a Wooden hull, and ten times lighter than a same wooden one.after that i applies a waterbased wall acrylic emulsion, all over , then only i can apply NC putty on it..if not, the expanded polystrene will not be there...so after finishing its basic hull i have only a hope to paint ith ordinary oil based enemel,means a latex paint in your tearm..and i never sell any finished model..all is my children...i love them...so much..i hope one day i can get a machine to help me to finish the hull anf wing structures of my crafts...Shipmate i will post a detailed description here about making a hull from expanded polystrene...i hope it may helpfull some at least...with great hope..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 23 queries.