Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4ghz conversions !  (Read 15416 times)

triumphjon

2.4ghz conversions !
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:46:44 pm »

i have seen several conversion kits available for various radios , having now gone the 2.4 route & buying myself a planet and three receivers , im left with an old hitec flash 4 tx that has no rx , can anybody advise me as to a suitable conversion please ?

sunworksco

Re: 2.4ghz conversions !
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:19:26 am »

Here is a 2.4GHz conversion but you may want to look at the new Hitec HTS-Navi telemetry TX/RX components coming out the next couple of months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhVcD4hyuM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=MKL
These TX/RX components will produce live-view data.
Regards,
Giovanni

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:18 pm »

not sure i need live veiw information , what id like is some advise as to whats entailed in converting my tx from 40 mhz into the new 2.4 ghz ? ive got fed up with other people turning models on at the lakeside but failing to carry out any frequency checks first ! hence wanting to upgrade my tx . i know ive got to purchase a new rx to match the manufacture of the conversion kit , just that most of the info ive looked at covers the optic & laser 6 that use a plug in module system ? my radio dosnt use a module

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 05:37:40 pm »

I don't think there is a specific unit for the Flash 4, what you need is a 'hack' module that means you have to do some soldering and case hacks to fit the new aerial.
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-conversion-hack-module-p-405206.html
This is the type of unit you need - couldn't see any instructions in a quick check, but I'm sure a search of the internet will find some.

Hope this helps,

Barrie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:39 pm »

I don't think there is a specific unit for the Flash 4, what you need is a 'hack' module that means you have to do some soldering and case hacks to fit the new aerial.
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-conversion-hack-module-p-405206.html
This is the type of unit you need - couldn't see any instructions in a quick check, but I'm sure a search of the internet will find some.

Hope this helps,

Barrie
Barrie,

Handy link  :-)) :-)) :-))

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:18:51 pm »

There was a thread before on how to install the Hack modules.  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24085.0

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:17:12 pm »

ive been looking at these set just not sure how the system is wired into mine tx , ive looked inside the case of my hitec tx ,  no buddy socket , and not sure where i would need to wire this unit up to on my board , will i need to obtain a wirig diagram of my tx first ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:42:10 pm »

Might be less hassle just to buy a 2.4ghz set.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »

Agreed, if its a basic 4Ch set you have then its not worth converting. If you have a more expensive multi channel computer radio then it makes sense to hang on to it and convert it

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:33 pm »

mine is the one with the digital display in the bottom right corner , and has electronic trim adjustment , & model memory

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:33 pm »

While it's nice to have an all singing, all dancing R/C system, the truth of the matter for most model boaters is that we only really want basic functions. The extra bells and whistles are really intended for the aircraft and helicopter boys. 4 channels is usually enough, 6 if you want some special effects. The computer stuff is just icing on the cake, fine if you can afford it but by no means essential.

Colin

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:53 pm »

its a transmitter that i bought second hand , ive now decided that im not going to continue using 27 or 40 mhz due to the inexperienced modellers that turn up at the lake ,walk past somebody who is already operating a model , and just turn on their radios without a care in the world that they could be causing interference OR  loss of control of the model that is already in use !

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 04:27:35 am »

Might be less hassle just to buy a 2.4ghz set.

Very good point :-)) :-)) and probably cheaper.  O0 O0 O0

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 07:37:16 am »

Very good point :-)) :-)) and probably cheaper.  O0 O0 O0

The unit I linked to was I think about £13 - even the GC set is more than that!!. As far as I am aware you only need three connections - two of those must be power, so only the signal to find %) I'm off to Leamington today - I'll do some googling when I get back.

Barrie

bilzin

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »

Hello

I converted my old Futaba 35Mhz to 2.4 with the Corona module 2 of their receivers...no problems yet

Bill

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »

Circuit diagram for TX would be good, but as stated you need +ve -ve and the output from the pulse train.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sunworksco

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 04:52:57 pm »

Here are some images and drawings for both synthesized RF MHz and 2.4GHz TX.
Regards,
Giovanni

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:06 pm »

To us non electrical types who might race in where Angels fear to tread and attempt a conversion the following comes to mind.

After you have converted the transmitter then it is necessary to buy the corresponding receiver or will any compatible (how is compatability determined) 2.4ghz receiver suffice.
Also, all existing receivers for any converted transmitters would now be redundant but not the servos.

sunworksco

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:49 am »

The 2.4GHz TX/RX are pretty much standard throughout the world.
I would encourage a conversion with the TX/RX that completely match for live-view telemetry like FrSky, Hitec AFHSS and the like.
Giovanni

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 01:33:50 am »

Pardon?   {-) {-)

sunworksco

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:00:01 am »

I was referring to the 2.4GHz modules being compatible with other 2.4GHz TX/RX modules, not that they are the standard frequency.
I use a synthesized 75MHz TX/RX myself.
Giovanni

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:38 pm »

The unit I linked to was I think about £13 - even the GC set is more than that!!. As far as I am aware you only need three connections - two of those must be power, so only the signal to find %) I'm off to Leamington today - I'll do some googling when I get back.

Barrie

Barrie,
Have Googled, ogled etc but can't seem to find the compatable Frsky receiver for the hack module. <:(
Have two new complete Futaba 4YF sets which are probably worthwhile converting to 2.4ghz. O0
Found a Frsky Futaba conversion module, (Frsky 2.4GHz V8 8ch FUTABA COMBO V2) Transmitter & Receiver but can't see where says it is compatable with the 4YF. Lists other Futaba sets but not the 4YF. <:(

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »

Raarty,
Sorry - I haven't had time to do any googling - new Grandson you know! From what I have learned, there are two types of conversion kit - those made for specific 'host' sets, and what the call 'hack' versions. The former are designed to replace plug in transmission modules in sets designed for them. the latter require you to identify three points on the circuit board of the existing Tx, and solder connections to them.

I should point out that I haven't actually done any of this as I sold my 40Mhz equipment and bought new 2.4Ghz, both Spektrum and now Giant Cod. There was an article in Marine Modelling a few months ago about the latter type of conversion.

Barrie

colin-d

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 01:41:15 pm »

i have done the Giant Cod (hack) conversion from Corona, on a Graupner 214 and a Robbe F14

RaaArtyGunner

Re: 2.4ghz conversions !Transmitter receiver Clarification
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:20 am »

Some of us are not able to digest reams of technical jargon/data let alone make heads or tails of it.
It is thereforefar simpler to ask questions some of which may be simple and should be readily known, but if you don't ask the question you will have to ASSume.
Plus electronics/Black Art is not my area of expertise, so here goes.

With "hack" conversions a comparable receiver is "bound" (bind/mated) to the transmitter and if I am understanding things correctly another receiver can be bound to the same transmitter.
End result one transmitter running two boats, not at the same time, each with one of the bound receivers installed.

Some questions come to mind.
1. Is there a limit to the number of receivers bound to a transmitter whether it is hacked or an originall 2.4ghz system.
2. Can receivers be "unbound" and rebound to another transmitter.
3. Is there a limit on the number of channels when binding receivers.
4. Are there any benefit, (and if so what) in binding say a 6 channel receiver to say a 4 channel transmitter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.