Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tug boat  (Read 8631 times)

THOR

New tug boat
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:18 am »

:-)
Hay !
I am a beginner with RC boats, but otherwise,unfortunately, I am not a beginner.
I am 70 years, an achitect and has worked whith house models in 40 years ( and a railway in the sellar)
My english is far from perfect. I am norwegian, lives in Oslo and in Torrevieja ( spain ) a few months in the vintertime.
Plase corect me if it is not understandable.  :police:
To the case :
1)  I have ordered the Yorkshireman kit from Slipway, with motores Robbe navy EF 76, and a baw thruster from Robbe.
All this I get in the beginning of desember. Does this sound ok ??
2)  The next is more dificult. I think I wil buy a Robbe navy F14 with at least 6 channals.
I have followed some discussions on this site, and the are several opiniones of this radio. I am a beginner, and not used to any radio, so I think I kould learn  this one that is moust like a real boat (like my own).
I would verry much like to hear what you think !!

Yours THOR

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: New tug boat
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:37 am »

THOR,
It depends how many functions you want operated by the transmitter.
If you want 6 then there are a few good basic 2.4 Ghz sets which are a lot cheaper than the F14.
If you want more than 6 channels you will have to expand the F14 with additional modules.

The set up for the Yorkshireman sounds fine.
This kit builds into a fine seaworthy model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:44:55 pm »

Thor. Ive got a Yorkshireman.Its a great boat with a strong hull.Ihe bow thruster comes in handy.I agree with Shipmate that 2.4 is
best and good value.Google giant cod for low cost set.Or theirs planet again low cost.I use Futuba.Only that or Spectrum was
on the market when i brought my set.If now I would buy Giant cod (radiolink set).Good luck with your build John. 

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:15:27 pm »

the same 2.4ghz radio link set is also available from howes models ( oxford ) !

Haarek

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »

Hi Thor and welcome too Mayhem, they have some nice Futaba 2.4Ghz radios at Norwegian Modellers in Tønsberg.
I'm going too use the Skysport 6EX in my yorkshireman.
Lykke til med en flott båt :-))

THOR

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:27:22 am »

OK everybody like the Yorkshireman. Very good {-)
But the Radio ?  Robbe Futaba F14 Navy !
It has noting to do with mony, I want the best for me. I has to learn to manouevre a boat with 2 props.
I have not done it before, and i think the two stick unit vil be natural. The trotle at the other side and svitshes for boug thrust, fire canons, sound, light, perhapes a winsh, pump.....
Is the anyone with experiense from this radio ??

THOR

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:23 pm »

Thor,

I use a F14 Navy for a model with several functions and find that the twin-stick throttles and provides a logical set-up. It's well made, very expandable for extra functions and reliable. Go for it.

Regards,

Barry M

THOR

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »

Thanks BarryM, I have orered one now. The shop dont get it till middel of next month. After that I certanly wil need
some advices {:-{
THOR

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:02 pm »

Has anyone got a model of Vic Smeed's tug "Cervia" and photos and where can I get plans from,please.    Regards  Geoff.

FsASTSyd1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:53 pm »

Here you go sir, plans at least

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17045/cervia-mm567

Regards
Syd J

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 03:47:38 pm »

Thanks Sid,  I've just ordered a set, Cheers   Geoff.

ooyah/2

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:40 pm »

Hi Geoff,
Many years ago I received the Vic Smead free plan and started to build CERVIA wich as I progressed I decided that the 1/4' to foot scale giving a 28 " boat was too small.
I redrew the boat to 3/8 " scale giving a model hull 42" long. I still have the original drawings but they are only lines and bualkheads with no details of the superstructure, they were redrawn to install a steam plant. The CERVIA is at the Maritime museum on the Medway,  Google  S.T. Cervia and you will get it.
If you wish I could post the drawings to you and you could have white paper prints taken from them at a Reprographic company in Bangor and then post the originals back to me.
Here a a couple of pics of my CERVIA.
George.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:24:26 pm »

Hi Ooyah,    That's damn decent of you, what a man.         Yes please, I'll PM you my address,   kind regards,  Geoff.      PS.   Love the pics,  lovely model.

ooyah/2

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

Hi Geoff
P.M. sent  glad to be of help as long as they are of use to you and that you send them back.
George.

sunworksco

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:23 pm »

Very good tug build job!
I have a beloved Robbe F-14 radio, too.
I am adding a Hitec AFHSS Telemetric 2.4GHz RF TX module. It has full telemetry options.
I will be using a Jeti Models TU2 toggle switch and wiring harness to switch back and forth between the RF modules.
I bought one RF/TX module & two RX package for $120.00.
I will be hacking a radio soon and will post the details.
Thanks,
Giovanni 

Hitec RF/TX AFHSS 2.4GHz module with case removed.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41:10 am »

Hi,    I converted my Hitec Laser 6 35mhz to 2.4ghz with a Corona 2.4ghz hack kit, really easy,  cost £21 + p&p from Giantcod.   Cheers  Geoff.

sunworksco

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:47 am »

Thats a very good price, but no telemetry option and 2 receivers.
Giovanni

tugnut

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »

Hi George thats a great model of the old girl  :-)).
She is in Ramsgate just down the road from me, looking a bit sad now.

Regards John B

captain ron

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »

Well George I'm well impressed heres me knowing you a couple of years now and I thought you were a flash steam building maniac.
A nice big model and I bet you've not got it now.I would loved to have seen that in the pond.

See you soon

captain ron

ooyah/2

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:12:45 pm »

Hi Ron,

Still have it but it's out of the water at present as I am building a new D10 engine for it, the single cylinder 10V with the self starting and revers gearbox wasn't 100% reliable  and was stuck in the pond a few times hence the D10 fully self starting and reversable.

Not just a Flash Steam maniac, manic about a few things.

Couldn't make the A.G.M. today , The  cul-de sac where I live  which has a good 12 " snow and couldn't get the car out.
George

ooyah/2

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »

Hi George thats a great model of the old girl  :-)).
She is in Ramsgate just down the road from me, looking a bit sad now.

Regards John B

Hi John,
I saw her years ago in Aberdeen and she was a bit battered and bent then, I believe that she is undergoing a refit or a repaint which I hope is true.
The model sails well at 32 lbs all up and shows a good bone in here teeth when on full power.
As said to Ron I am making a new engine for her over the winter which I hope to have finished for the summer season.
George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.