Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Pala III  (Read 2766 times)

tjones27

Robbe Pala III
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:12:11 pm »

Hi, does anybody know the size of the motor in the Paula III, and could anybody suggest a suitable upgrade for faster performance/ has anybody done this??

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Robbe Pala III
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:14:15 pm »

I think the motor is a standard 540 550 type motor.
 The Paula III is a work boat, are you converting her to speed boat for some sort?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:08 am »

If its 540 size then maybe some kind of hot RC car motor would work
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

fatcat123

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:05:50 pm »

I bought this boat for my mate, i'm 90% sure its a 550 motor. It goes well using a 7.2 volt pack.

Dan

tjones27

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »

im not converting her to a speed boat, but i want to give her a little bit more umph! the the rudder is practically useless in reverse so im planning on fitting a steerable kort nozzle, but by doing this some of the power is lost, so to compensate for this i want to pack in a bit more of a beefier motor. im looking at maybe a 600BB or 700. but i think tht the 700m may be a bit of overkill, although i wouldn't have to run her at full steam! im also thinking of going completely overkill and fitting a small bow thruster just for fun.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:52 pm »

Many single prop / rubber boats are rubbish going astern, a kort nozzle with ruder will help but it won't make it perfect.
A 600BB or speed700 will turn it into a guided missile so a hottish 540 will make it faster without too many alterations.

Be aware that the 600BB comes in different flavours....

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/80f55fc6-048f-41c2-b5fb-9180aec45a34/productcategory.aspx
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tjones27

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

thanks for the heads up. im in  hamburg at the moment, and they have all of the graupner motors on offer so providing i have enough spare pocket money i might grab a hot 540 and a 600bb for a couple of tests to find out which suits best. but yes it woul dbe a missile. i shall have to see. ive been looking for some bow thrusters too, any idea which size might be best as this will be the first time ive ever bought/experimented with bow thrusters.

also does anybody know how to work out what speed controller to use. i.e. with the voltage/ amperes of the power pack and the size of the motor??

I will post some images of the build if nayone wants to see how to make first class errors!!

Cheers  :}

BigA

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:07 pm »

The Robbe EF76 II motor is an RS550-type. I run my Paula III with the standard motor but using an 8-cell 9.6V pack - it is, of course, way over-powered, but it's quite fun - especially unexpected by onlookers. Only problem is the original (kit) coupling - a rubber tube - is not up to a 9.6V pack - a proper UJ coupling would be better.

A Kort nozzle will lower the speed, though - see here: http://www.ef-uk.net/models/watercraft/paula3.htm.

There's a video on Youtube with a Paula III running on 8 cells, somewhere.

A.

BigA

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:59:18 pm »

Oh, and my Mtroniks 25A ESC is fine with this set-up - I measured the motor draw as 15A at 8.4volts and 20A at 9.6volts (on the water). I attach the spreadsheet of the current draw vs voltage for my set-up (standard prop).

BigA

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »

Thats a Word document showing the graph - I couldn't download the xls sheet....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.