Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help re. overseas shipping/postage.  (Read 2039 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Help re. overseas shipping/postage.
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:09:18 pm »

Help! I'm in a quandry!

My son recently sold an item on e-bay and the purchaser lives in Argentina. The goods were sent and delivered by UPS. The purchaser is now claiming that the duty he had to pay carried a surcharge because it went by carrier rather than by post.

Is this correct/likely/true or a con?

I've sent stuff by carrier to US/Italy and France in the past without any problem but I'm lost on this one.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

sailorboy61

Re: Help re. overseas shipping/postage.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »

I would suggest that any local charges, customs or whatever, fall to the buyer.... ceertainly if you are importing something, it should be declared and tax paid as necessary. Obviously we all hope that it will slip through, but if it doesn't then it was us trying to 'break' the rules.
I would also suggest that if the buyer wanted a particular delivery method, he should have asked specifically. I suppose also depends on how you delivery was advertised?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31:39 pm »

I've rechecked the entry and all it shows is the default entry of Economy (Other Carrier)

Tony

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:52:28 pm »

Yes Argentina are well known to charge quite significant extra duty/tax for all courier parcels. Parcels that arrive and are delivered by the post office do no attract this charge.
However duty and taxes are the respnsibility of the buyer (unles you have agrees on a different means of postage before hand)

bbjs

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56:21 pm »

Without any doubt it's the responsibility of the buyer/importer.
It's his responsibility to know (and take the risk...) with eventual import taxes.
So unless something else was agreed with respect to a specific carrier, buyer takes the plunge...

I've been buying/selling Motorcycle parts (and some live steam) back & forth during the last eight years,
some 100s parcels over the Atlantic.
Yes there's a big difference depending on carrier if it get stuck in Customs, UPS got a 100% hitrate for me.
DHL & FedEx almost as *bad* (who as a private person want an expense...) but then depending of 'type' of parcel.
The national Post is usually best, especially from the US (using USPS parcel, not mail/letter) with around 10% Customs hit into EU.

Cheers, Bjorn

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:47 pm »

Without any doubt it's the responsibility of the buyer/importer.
It's his responsibility to know (and take the risk...) with eventual import taxes.
So unless something else was agreed with respect to a specific carrier, buyer takes the plunge...

I've been buying/selling Motorcycle parts (and some live steam) back & forth during the last eight years,
some 100s parcels over the Atlantic.
Yes there's a big difference depending on carrier if it get stuck in Customs, UPS got a 100% hitrate for me.
DHL & FedEx almost as *bad* (who as a private person want an expense...) but then depending of 'type' of parcel.
The national Post is usually best, especially from the US (using USPS parcel, not mail/letter) with around 10% Customs hit into EU.

Cheers, Bjorn
But unfortunately we are dealing with ebay here, and If the buyer takes it any further I imagine that they will fall on the side of the buyer.

But we A

bbjs

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:26 am »

But unfortunately we are dealing with ebay here, and If the buyer takes it any further I imagine that they will fall on the side of the buyer.

Yes, the majority of my deals are through ebay.

The international praxis is that exporter has to declare value and content according to laws in originating Country
( in most cases a fraud to give incorrect info, gift/too low value) and the importer to handle/pay eventual customs fees and taxes
according to laws in terminating Country - when applicable.
(e.g, within EU we have free trading in most cases)

As they state it in ebay seller policy, as a seller you're not allowed to charge eventual import taxes / Customs fees.
As a buyer you may have to pay those (depending on law in terminating Country):

Tariffs, duties, and customs fees: For cross-border transactions, sellers aren't allowed to collect tariffs, duties, or customs fees. (Buyers may be responsible for paying these fees as required by country laws.)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

Thanks all for the input. It reinforces what I believed in general and the info from Mankster about Argentina customs gives further food for thought. The buyer has requested that we go halves on the customs duty. I thought that this was suspect but I had no knowledge to go on.

Thanks again.

Tony

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:13:56 pm »

Just to thank you again for your help.

The Argentinian buyer put a grievance into the ebay system. They suggested that I contact him and 'bargain' but I thought this to be a waste of time and further money in this case so I left it to ebay to make a decision about the rights and wrongs of the matter. This they did very quickly (less than 48hrs) and came down on my side.

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.