Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3mm led lighting  (Read 3522 times)

crzydoyle11

3mm led lighting
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

Not sure if any one ask this question. My Questson is how many Led lights in series can I hook up using only 3 volt? whitout worrying about sorthing out lights? {:-{ . I am planning to use them on the Mass Pole and wheel house.. I am looking about nothing less than 20 LEDs lights just on the Mass Pole by it self, on the YORKSHIREMAN. if any one can help with this Question please. I am just trying to keep it easy for my self. And thank you for answer you can give me on this. Brian

hopeitfloats

Re: 3mm led lighting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:36:54 am »

someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i wouldnt have thought the numbers would cause any problems. just the more battery capacity required and of course if you wire in series and one LED blows or is faulty the whole lot will go out.

sailorboy61

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:04 am »

There are several LED guides around http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz , http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html .

Think you'll find generally recommended NOT to use in series, mostly because of the problem mentioned below..... one out and the circuit it broken.

awvs

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:23 am »

Hi,
the average forward voltage range for standard LED’s is around 1.7 to 2.5 Volts and the average maximum current around 20mA , depending on the color. Some high intensity LED's require up to 4 Volts. At 3 Volt only, I recommend to run single LED's in parallel and proper resistors in series as current limiters. The resistor value depends on the forward voltage of your LED, a good start would be 100 Ohm. Nevertheless, you might be able to find LED's working at 1.5V. In this case, you could connect 2 LED's in series, but they might not draw enough current (equals brightness) for your application. Be careful when you run tests, the average maximum current per LED is around 20mA. Any higher current will shorten the life span or kill it immediately. For example, connecting a 6V battery to a LED without a resistor in series will destroy her almost immediately. Furthermore you have to watch that the LED is connected to the proper terminals (longer leg to plus).

Regards
Wilhelm

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:45:24 am »

I have connected up to 14 3v LEDs in parellel on two 1.5 v C cell batteries with no problems.

Tankerman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »

This link might help answer your question: http://led.linear1.org/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »

With LEDs, much depends on the spec of the LED, as said earlier.  Powering them from dry batteries, often the internal resistance of the battery will limit the current to a safe value that still gives adequate light output.  This does rely rather on lots of luck, most of it good.
Some LEDs have a built in circuit to limit the current.  When you look at a parts book, there are usually a few pages devoted to LEDs, so it's safe to say that there are many different types, each with their own characteristics and requirements.  You really need to know the requirements and capabilities of the particular type you intend using, but on 3 volts, a separate resistor for each one would be a good bet.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

crzydoyle11

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:31:21 am »

Thank you shipmates for your input and your info..  I will do more research on the LEDs before installing them again thank you all. :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:32:45 pm »

if this is of any help , wilkinsons are selling a string of twenty as xmas tree decorations , all pre wired to a two c cell battery box with switch incorperated , costs about a fiver !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.