Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GONE FISHIN'  (Read 1857 times)

hopeitfloats

GONE FISHIN'
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:14:44 am »

been fishing. no luck but an enjoyable day out. the river is the rangitata. its a well known salmon river but too early in the season for them. i was after a nice fat trout. i guess i will just have to try again next weekend. a few photos to show the general area

pugwash

Re: GONE FISHIN'
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:48 am »

Mr Hope, you are a lucky so and so to have a river like that near you - fishing one of the reasons I would love
to visit New Zealand.
Tight lines,
Geoff

Mark47

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

You can't beat standing in a river chucking a fly across it. That's my escape from the insanity of normal every day life. That and building boats (just don't get peece to do them with the 4 year old). He just wants to help all the time.  ok2

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:06:16 pm »

Never seen a anglerer that looks happy when we're out cruising the canals  :o %) ;)

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »

Frankie that is because they are coare fishing - you don't go fly flishing on a canal.  The sort of rivers I fish you couldnt get a canal boat
on before it hit the rocks. I've seen it from both sides as I used to coarse fish when I lived in the Midlands then I saw the light when
I moved up to the wilds of Northumberland, also I occasionally go out on my brothers Narrow boat and yes the anglers do look miserable
- probably because there aren't many fish these days.  Our east European brothers that live here have eaten most of them.
Geoff

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »

also I occasionally go out on my brothers Narrow boat and yes the anglers do look miserable
- probably because there aren't many fish these days. 
Geoff

That's too true. In my younger days (7-8 years old) I used to fish the local canal. It was not unheard of to catch 40-50 Perch, 4-5 Roach a couple of Eels with the odd pike thrown in for good measure in one day. When I was 20 odd I decided to fish the local haunts and it took three days to catch 1 Eel and 2 Perch. Gone are the days of plentyfull sport.

At least with a fly, you feel you are covering fish and working the river.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »

Around our way it's the minkies that pinch the fish...... :police:

hopeitfloats

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »

Mr Hope, you are a lucky so and so to have a river like that near you - fishing one of the reasons I would love
to visit New Zealand.
Tight lines,
Geoff

unfortunately the salmon arent around in the numbers of years ago but there are some nice trout further up the gorge where i went. the river was starting to come down dirty though so it wasnt worth the half hour walk to go there. that river is very prone to rise quickly as in normal flow to flood in an hour or so, especially in the gorge area. beautiful place to fish but you have to keep an eye on the water level. sun can be shining and flooding river due to it being fed from up in the southern alps where there can be huge rainfalls. 500mm in a day at times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.