Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schooner Yacht America 1/85 scale  (Read 5492 times)

meatbomber

Schooner Yacht America 1/85 scale
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:59 am »

Hallo Shipmates,

Mark Steele a Collumnist for Duckworks e-zine and marine model international, has issued a challenge to seek the smallest RC Schooner on the planet. I like schooners and small RC models so i couldn`t pass on to this one ;) The model of choice for me was teh Schooner Yacht America of 1851. A relatively simpel rig and very very nice lines make this undoubtedly one of the best looking yachts ever to be built in my oppinion!

As the scale i selected 1/85 so she will fit to my small St. Helena packet. That made for a relatively "large" 36cm length on deck but the displacement is only about 250g which is borderline to whats possible, to handle the 7,1dmē of sail area.. at least for me  :o

All sails sheets run of a single servo. There is a 200mAh 2S Lipo for power and a BEC to run the servo and RX. space below decks is at a preminum... The sail servo is a relatively strong HS82MG that i hope will provide sufficient torque to sheet the sails.

Sails are made from ripstop material, a first for me, working with a hot knife and textile glue. The results are pretty satisfactory in my eyes ;) there is still some detailing to be done tho... the Gaff halyards are bowsie adjustable so i could later one with teh addition of reeflines make fore and mainsail reefable.

With a plexiglas keel of 25cm length and about 100g of ballast i went for the first sea trials :) unfortunately absolutely ZERO wind... it was howling storm the whole day, and wind warnings for the night but exactly at teh hour i have had time to go to teh lake a total calm.
But at least i saw that she has no leaks, the rudder provides sculling power and the trim is correct... i hope to have a proper sail report soon !

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Schooner Yacht America 1/85 scale
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:06:05 pm »

Nice one Phillip ---You do churn them don't you..  I wish I could work 1/4 of that fast
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:32 pm »

well the above post is a condensation of 6 months of procrastination ;) i would say there is about 20 hours work in it in total...

meatbomber

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

Had the REAL maiden today :) this time wind from SW by W 5kts gusts 10kts.
Put her in teh water and she took of, straight as an arrow close hauled. Ballance is near perfect. so perfect in fact that she won`t tack... i could wear anytime and in any direction (even towards the main boom in gusts) so it can`t be the rudder being too small. Else she is running great, weatherly, fast and looking great on the water :)
so now i need some advice as to how change the configuration to enable tacking. maybe the keel a bit forward ?

meatbomber

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »

I set the keel further forward by a total of about 2,5cm. Tacking now works much better! I had Zephers only but America at only 250g reacts to the lightest stir :)
I hope for another sail with a bit more wind but i doubt this year.. now its -10° so i fear after tonigth the ponds will be frozen...

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:28:28 pm »

She looks a picture Phillip... I Was down at our lake on sunday and it was half frozen ...This is the earliest it has ever frozen  Normally its in Jan or Feb and then only for a few days... The W/x has gone mad
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:53:35 pm »

nice looking model well done !  not the only one who puts a sail boat into the lake and the wind dissapears !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.