Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523081 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2011, 04:00:20 pm »

Just thought, the crew would return if she did not sink, for no other reason that when they abandon a ship, they go off pay. Because in the merchant navy you sign on the ship for the voyage only, once off the owners stop pay immediately.

Not for king and country then??
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

More on the marathon build..

First, the stern section. Now buttoned up with the last piece of flexiply fitted. At first we were not sure about an 8mm thick bulwark being exposed, and were going to fit a bit of 1.5mm ply and fair it in. However, at the moment it looks fine.

We have fitted two M6 brass bolts through the bottom of the bow section, and two through the bottom of the stern section. These are just in case we have to bolt on extra ballast low in the model. There is a possibility that the model may become unstable as it floods with water. If so, we can either add foam into the centre section ballast tank, or ballast weights fore and aft... as I say, just in case ok2

ben hall

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »

its going to look amazing in displays

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2011, 06:40:55 pm »

to the pointy end :-))

First we fitted the builders insulation foam. In normal circumstances this serves no purpose, however, if we blow a hole in the side of the model during the course of a display, we will be greatful for its inclusion >>:-(

Bow plating dry run..

Some measuring up..

On go the sides. They are screwed into the middle, horizontal ply part, which pulls them into shape with only the occasional screw needed along the upper part of the hull to close up any gaps that appear.

A good couple of evenings work. Next time you see the bow it will be trimmed and looking like Ohio, may need a bit of filler first,though O0

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »

its going to look amazing in displays

I have wanted to build SS Ohio for over 20 years, my interest was fired up when I saw a painting of her, on fire, flanked by destroyers going flat out, dodging bombs. Its little things like that which can lead to big builds, look at me and my unbuilt, whats the plural for more than one Nautilus???

Yarpie

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »

.............. whats the plural for more than one Nautilus???

Ninetylus? %%

triumphjon

« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »

thats going to be his age when he gets to build all of his dreams !

ben hall

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:30 pm »

I have wanted to build SS Ohio for over 20 years, my interest was fired up when I saw a painting of her, on fire, flanked by destroyers going flat out, dodging bombs.
i have wanted to build a galleon for years but my interest was fired up when i watched pirates of the Caribbean :D :D :D :D :D  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

its the same thing right possibly not maby not  %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:24 am »

This is a great effort and I'm very pleased that PEDESTAL is still remembered - my Uncle Buster (FAA) and his W/Op gunner and (I think) Skua are still at the bottom of the Med following his participation in PEDESTAL. More power to your elbows, chaps.

Yarpie

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:56 am »

That makes all the planning, building, logistics etc all the more worthwhile tobyker. We will bear in mind the 400 personnel killed in action in Pedestal during our display. Their sacrifices are still remembered, not least by the people of Malta who celebrate the arrival of those five gallant ships and their 45,000 tons of supplies to this day. Every August 15th, the ships in Grand Harbour sound their sirens and horns for a full minute in honour of the "Santa Maria Convoy" that saved the island. :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »

The build continues;
Firstly, having checked the drawings, i can confirm depth from main deck to load Waterline ( the land lubber in me feels this is the correct term for how far you fall before you get wet if your boat is full of stuff! ) as 10' on SS Ohio. I have marked this on the following photo but may ballast the model to the lower mark, for the sake of visual interest as she settles in the water.

This is the day it starts to look like the prototype. Firstly the bow is trimmed and sanded.

Its times like this that you just have to stand back and stare at the model, saying repeatedly.." I like the look of that..."

The other major job of the day is side plates on the centre section..

Yay!! Grahams back on the build.... The sides are dry fitted and the internal bulkhead positions are marked on the inner face of the ply. As you can see, we are placing the ply painted side inwards. this is to ensure the timber is waterproof INSIDE the ballast tank section. The paint is ground off the ply anywhere it is going to be bonded, to ensure a good mechanical joint.

The sides are first bonded, and then screwed in position, the sides are manouvered into position by eye and by touch, the screws are placed into the pilot holes and tapped into position using a 'dockyard screwdriver' ( usually referred to as a hammer by a chippy, and a dockyard screwdriver by those who worked within the confines of HM Dockyard, Portsmouth...."Just hit it!" ).

Finally, with the bow block sanded to shape and the sides on, she is starting to look the part. However, with foaming glue oozing out of various parts of the model, we cannot bolt her together for an end of session photo {:-{
No more updates this week, as we are off to Alexandra Palace on Sunday to eat bacon rolls and photograph the London skyline...again :-))

ben hall

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »

when you say we to you mean you in your multi colour car {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:14 am »

when you say we to you mean you in your multi colour car {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Its warmer than going up, towed in the trailer behind your bycycle :-))

ben hall

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2011, 08:43:01 pm »

touche

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:03 am »

Sides are on and its starting to look like something..

A convenient 51" 1/48 scale Flower Class Corvette is provided to give some idea of the size of the tanker.
Tonight I leave the build in the hands of my fellow members...what could go wrong??

Yesterdays project, slightly off subject, but hey :}

Yarpie

« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2011, 10:53:16 am »

Great progress on the SS OHIO, u-b-n, it certainly is a robust hull! Considering there have been no plans to work from, the build pace is impressive.

Well done to you and your helper monkeys.  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:11 am »

Great progress on the SS OHIO, u-b-n, it certainly is a robust hull! Considering there have been no plans to work from, the build pace is impressive.

Well done to you and your helper monkeys.  :-))

I could start a thread on the subject.....
1; use plan to cut out first bit.
2; cut second bit to fit.
3; continue until you have run out of a) bits to do, b) wood, c) the will to live.
Here endeth the lesson :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:20 am »

Simplicity!!

And there was little old me thinking that there could possibly be complicated issues regarding model boat construction. :D

Right, give me 20 minutes and I'll finish off the RODNEY refit. :-))

Joking apart, well done to you and the team. :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:40 pm »

its certainly taking shape well , wont be long before shes up and running !

bat44

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:17 am »

well here we are again this time with out the top monkey because he was tired  <:( so it was left to just us to do some work tonight,at least he left a note showing what was  needed to be done bless him.

so now we had a plan for the night's work, so what did we do first ?  ........... yep put the kettle on  :-)) {-)   

so after the 1st cup of tea and donut's it was time for work. Because  the glue we are using is new to us and the way in which we are using it we thought it was safe to back up the clue joints with some epoxy on the back and front of the boat

to do this we had to open the glue joints so we could pour some epoxy into the joint

bat44

« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:35 am »

so by this time................. yep we put the kettle on again. With the glue joints opened up we can now pour the epoxy into the joints to make them stronger

when this was done a gentle use of a hot air gun was used to make the epoxy run into the joints and left to dry, sorry no pic forgot to take one of me doing this. :embarrassed:

after the epoxy had set it was time to put some filler on

bat44

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2011, 11:34:48 am »

unbuilt we need some more of this please :-))

first part of the forward bridge section, this is were the fun starts

this is also where the pyro box is going to be kept to operate the bangs for the boat

not a monkey but a gorilla who should be working on he's boat not his tank.Well thats it for tonight it's 10.30 and the key holder has to go home for his coco and then go to bed

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

I will have to take the fuse out of the kettle!!
I see robs wig is on the seat behind him :-))

rshermanking

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »

I will have to take the fuse out of the kettle!!
I see robs wig is on the seat behind him :-))

well i had to take it of because it kept falling in front of my eyes

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »

Its progressing well. The main hulls are complete, except for filler and many coats of sealer, and it is currently just over 98.5" long!!

Fibreglass repair paste on the bows and body filler around the stern. Note tidy work bench :}

I am not confident of a 100% waterproof seal between the panels on the bow and stern. Therefore following the sterns milling out on our last visit, it was now the turn of the bow. The joints are milled out to a depth of 1/8" wide and 1/8" wide. These are then filled with fast drying epoxy resin adhesive, and finally filled over with body filler.

The other job was the final finishing around the bridge area. This part of the model contains the control box for the bangs and flashes. This needs to be secured against moving too much, therefore we cut the upper hatch as an interference fit around the control box.

The days work finished, all that is left is the posing shot %). Note the plan in the background, it is out of its tube again as we contemplate the bridge detail.
Just a brief sketch to outline the planned positioning of everything within the model.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.