Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523116 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2011, 02:54:46 pm »

Is it just a coincidence that when you float test her, there will be a 19th century full size beam engine pumping station operational and on hand just in case ........................................................................  O0

The Pumphouse open day is purely co-incidental, however, the threat of burnt burger and chocolate cake may have some bearing on the launch date O0
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Yarpie

« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2011, 04:18:29 pm »

Burnt burger and chocolate cake .............  well worth a visit then. ;)

Keep at it guys, you are doing a brilliant job. :-))

ben hall

« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:36 am »

mmmmm burnt burger and chocolate cake

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »

Progress to date.
The model is now painted all over, almost, and is nearly ready for its first dunking this coming Sunday.

Plumbing is being installed for the two pumps. The 'in' pump has to be fitted with a 'U bend' to prevent unwanted water entering the model when afloat. These impeller pumps are open to through flow of water at all times and the outlet pipe is perilously near to the load waterline, hence the 'U bend'.

Hopefully the copper pipe can be hidden in the general deck clutter of a typical big WWII Tanker.

Final image today, the hull plating effect with paint on.....by eck, it works ok2

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

QUESTION... What colour would the decks be on a WWII Tanker that has recently been painted grey over its hull sides and superstructure??? I would assume that the Red Oxide finish would be like a beacon to roving enemy aircraft. Would the grey continue over the horizontal parts also, or would the shipyard/dockyard still have the luxury of deck paint to hand??

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:48 pm »

The plating effect looks spot-on. Good to know it works so well!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Yarpie

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2011, 07:48:55 pm »

QUESTION... What colour would the decks be on a WWII Tanker that has recently been painted grey over its hull sides and superstructure??? I would assume that the Red Oxide finish would be like a beacon to roving enemy aircraft. Would the grey continue over the horizontal parts also, or would the shipyard/dockyard still have the luxury of deck paint to hand??

Given the history of the fast requisitioning of the OHIO in Scotland by the Navy Department, I would imagine she was painted all-over grey, with perhaps a slightly darker shade for the decks etc.

I have seen images of the funnel ok2 which demonstrates the speed of the paint job. The Texaco logo can still be faintly seen under the rushed grey paint job.

It was well known by both the Allied and Axis powers that this vessel would take part in one of the most strategic convoys of WWII, and that she most probably (and did) come in for undivded attention from the many attacking forces. To this end she must have been considered as 'sacrificial' so any elaborate paint job would have meant time and money ill spent.

As it happened though, it was probably only her paint job that kept her in one piece and able to enter Grand Harbour in the epic way she did. %)

All model photos that I have seen depict her in overall grey. :-))

Hope this is of help.

Yarpie.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »

For what it's worth. My father was an engineer on Standard Oil and Anglo American tankers in the North Atlantic and Malta service during the war. Right at the end of the war he took a few photos on his, then, current vessel, Seminole. The shot is looking aft from the center house. You can see the distinct shade difference between the vertical house walls and the deck. He said the vessel was overall grey with a red oxide deck. I've been building a model of it and this is the scheme I was going to follow. You'll notice the 20mm turrets on either side of the aft house. There was a 40 mm on the foc'sale. Also notice the stack colours.

John

Yarpie

« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:42 am »

................. You can see the distinct shade difference between the vertical house walls and the deck. He said the vessel was overall grey with a red oxide deck................................... John

Dubious camouflage pattern for wartime, except perhaps for operations in the Red Sea. %)

(Please forgive the observation John, couldn't resist it). :embarrassed: :embarrassed: ;)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »

:embarrassed:.... a few observations...??

1. the vessel is not close to land
2. she appears as lightly loaded with the list to port......
3. she has all of her deck mounted fuel tank vents open...... >>:-( ...this is not normal............ :police:

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2011, 12:10:56 pm »

:embarrassed:.... a few observations...??

1. the vessel is not close to land
2. she appears as lightly loaded with the list to port......
3. she has all of her deck mounted fuel tank vents open...... >>:-( ...this is not normal............ :police:

Derek

She is in the Bay of Biscayne. In ballast. My father said there were canvass tube extensions to put over the open vents and run up cabling to a height well above the catwalk to prevent ingress of water in rough weather. Don't forget, you went to Britain loaded and came back empty in the war.

John

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »

Excellent deck clutter reference, thanks for the input so far, guys. I may need to do a bit of research into the speed of the re-equipping tha SS Ohio experienced when she arrived here from the U.S of A. The information may simply not be available and I will have to go with the best 'average' I can find from a number of vessels. Will seek out colour footage on my Roland Smith DVD tonight, see if I can glean any clues.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2011, 10:44:35 pm »

For more reference, here are two other shots of Seminole taken on the same day.

John

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »

More excellent photos.
regardless of colour, I note that the decks seem to have a gloss sheen to them, while the superstructure is flat matt. this could be down to water across the deck, but i am not sure. Any ex tanker people out there can confirm gloss decks? ( also flues or funnels? This is a question that MUST be resolved....local team humour >>:-()

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

A few entires ago I responded to the open vents and vent bags that were installed in rough weather. I've found a couple of references to these canvas bags. they were also used to assist in venting holds in ballast before venting fans and similar apparatus were in use. The Seminole was a 1925 vessel.
The first reference is from the book "TANKER PRACTICE" by G.A.B. King,, "The construction, operation and maintenance of tankers".

The next reference is from a web site giving personal recollections of individuals involved in WWII. This one was deck crew on a tanker :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/79/a2152379.shtml

A quote from the write up:

"When a vessel is fully loaded with aviation spirit it is well known that a torpedo hit results in a blue flash. When it clears there is absolutely nothing left. An even worse situation presents itself when you have fully discharged the cargo as you are then a floating gas bomb and it is essential that you fit windsails to every tank to discharge the gas and that was the position we were in."

From the following site:  http://www.hnsa.org/doc/merchant/prelim/part3.htm

"In cleaning tanks by hand, the process consists usually of steaming the tank for several hours and then raising the tank hatches and washing the tanks with a fire hose, removing the water and refuse oil during the washing operation. "Wind sails" are then rigged to ventilate the tanks. Wind sails are canvas air ducts with large flaps on either side of an opening at the top. The flaps catch and direct the air through the opening at the top and downward through the duct and into the cargo tank. "

John

ben hall

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »

i would put whatever paint looks best and if at a show or something someone like an x crew member or definitely knows says it should be a diffrent colour re paint it

sailorboy61

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »

More excellent photos.
regardless of colour, I note that the decks seem to have a gloss sheen to them, while the superstructure is flat matt. this could be down to water across the deck, but i am not sure. Any ex tanker people out there can confirm gloss decks? ( also flues or funnels? This is a question that MUST be resolved....local team humour >>:-()

In 30 years at sea I've never seen gloss decks, most likely to be the result of water, (and probably an oil sheen!), but accommodation, certainly all I have know is painted gloss finish.......HOWEVER....... that is all much later than what is in the picture...

Yarpie

« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »

Two images of different OHIO models.

Both sporting Henry Fords choice of grey ............................................................. O0

triumphjon

« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »

knowing that the red oxide primer IS POURUS  i would advise sealing with a varnish or laquer of some form , otherwise the primer will eventually part company with the model !

ben hall

« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

that would still look good in the weathering department

pamian

« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »

{-) for a  12 year old you have a lot to say

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »

The day dawned clear and bright, there is only so much talk you can talk, the time had come.......to get Ohio wet!

Meself and Mark, preparing to test float the model in our 'Giants Bath'.

With the unusual bottom profile there was the chance of air pockets. the model was initially bow light, resulting in a nose up attitude which trapped air in the bows. This was soon released by pushing the bows down and allowing the air to escape out of the stern ( I am somewhat of an expert on this manouever O0).

"There, There, I wont let them nasty Display Team types hurt you......Thats my job!!
The model floated steady and stable, if a little bit 'light'. About 8lbs of lead was needed against the forward bulkhead of the centre section to level the model off. We ( I )  was in such a hurry when we plated the bows that no ballast was built in to the , now sealed, structure.

Pump running, these are 50 litre a minute pumps, so the waterline quickly reduced.

At half full, I was ready to disconnect the pump in case of disaster...

With the tank full I decided to keep pumping till it was overflowing, at this stage the model was still afloat :-))

The first pump out was also uneventful, however, the discharge pipe will have to be redesigned, the Destroyers wont want that blasting across their decks!!

Next pump down with the control box fitted, this will need raising about an inch or so, it was starting to get its tootsies wet!

No drain hole fitted yet, so emptied through the bolt holes.
Cup of tea and post mortem {-)
Well, that bit works :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »

so the next test is with all of the electronics fitted and under running conditions ?  looking very impressive

bat44

« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »

how about posting more pics of the day then unbuilt ? as it was a nice day for the club and the pump house  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

bat44

rshermanking

« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2011, 12:09:47 am »

yes more pics and also can you make them larger as well for us old ones can see them more better

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.