Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523087 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #300 on: February 15, 2013, 12:33:23 pm »

What sort of R/C gear are you looking at? (sorry newbie on the go)
And I have been called far worse that 'Half-pint, and Saucy' so go ahead :)

Sean

As the model is in pieces and the centre section is all ballast tank, I will be fitting two receivers, one in the aft section and one in the centre section controlling pumps and flash bangs. This saves me fitting cables through waterproof glands etc. I will be using a Futaba 7 channel 2.4G Tx with two Corona Receivers.
The aft section will have rudder and motor control, plus some method to control the gunfire effects through the AA guns.
The mid section will have two channels to pre-select, then fire the pyro effects, plus a third channel operating the pump up/down functions. I may also light up the two Oerlikon guns on the bridge wings in conjunction with the aft AA guns, however it may get a bit crowded with heavy gauge wire to the effects, light weight wire to the pumps AND fibre optics up to the AA guns. Plus an on deck arm/disarm switch of course...All fitted inside a waterproof box.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »

...All fitted inside a waterproof box.

%) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

You are expecting it to sink!!!!!! ---  and are you going to fit one of those submarine" Thingy`s" that float to the surface to show the position
  of sinking and are you making a special launching trolley and are you going for fully operational in aug 2013 or is the year still open ended and
   can I have another 5p wager for aug 2013 and can I put it on the club notice board and can I bring Big Bertha down for salvage rights and are
  you entering it in submarine races in 2014 and are you  !!!!!!!!!!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:04 pm »

One more post and you finally become a full Mayhemmer, god help us all, but mostly me. In answer to your questions in no particular order;

Probably :-))

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »

...All fitted inside a waterproof box.

%) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

You are expecting it to sink!!!!!! ---  and are you going to fit one of those submarine" Thingy`s" that float to the surface to show the position
  of sinking and are you making a special launching trolley and are you going for fully operational in aug 2013 or is the year still open ended and
   can I have another 5p wager for aug 2013 and can I put it on the club notice board and can I bring Big Bertha down for salvage rights and are
  you entering it in submarine races in 2014 and are you  !!!!!!!!!!!
He sounds more anoying than me time to turn my anoyence levels up see you on sunday ubn  :}

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: October 29, 2013, 05:21:25 am »

gday ,
 lover the build , impressive model
i would like to recommend you fit 2 pumps , especially in the pump out side of things , after all, how do you bail it out ?? if the pumps don't work ??
these pumps can be very reliable , but ,they are very basic , and free flooding too , which means water sits in them all yr round .
 you could also fit some form of manual drain cocks ,as back up .
 a idea i want to try is , fit a false bottom in a big model ,on the water line ,or 25 mm below it , then cut the bottom out of the hull ,to allow it to free flood , water proof well , but this idea does away w the needs for pumps ,as the water drains well from the hull ,as you lift it from the water , looks like it will work , in theory any way ??
this has being done by other UK modellers
good luck , love the model
bill

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #305 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:39 am »

I have a free flooding barge to tow behind my tug, if that counts.
All styrene construction with false cargo base approx 1/2" below expected waterline and covered in pea shingle, when lifting out of the water you have to allow water to drain out. The flooded volume has lots of baffling to stop the water sloshing around when underway.
I think it works well and the barge ends up very light but sinks convincingly.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: October 29, 2013, 12:49:51 pm »

The model has an 'in' pump and an 'out' pump. Both are mounted vertically so drain out the impellor hole when removed from the water. I have a Whale Bilge Pump I have had since 1984, its been in two models, the last one in 1997, still works to this day. Anything designed to be chucked into a bilge by a fisherman has to be bomb proof!
The model has two M6 drain plugs at one end of the model, to clear out the last stubborn vestiges of water left in the ballast tank once pumped out.
Ohio wasn't designed with the false bottom concept at first, it was suggested to me by 'John The Rigging' while working on the bow. the model now has its waterproof bottom about 30mm above the visible sides of the lower hull. This has given me equipment space for pyrotechnic attachment points as well as the fixings for the two destroyers, below the hull bottom, very handy.
The model got a dusting this weekend for an open day, construction should commence again early next year, once I get these subs out of the way ;)

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: October 29, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »

hello ,
 i love the model , its a great idea , you know a lot more about it than me ,as you have done this before .
but , use those simple pumps at home ,and they aren't built to last , hence my suggestion to fit 2, 1 as a back up , this is what i though about doing on a similar model , no time yet .
after all , its going to be a very heavy model to lift out of the water , if the pumps fails .these pumps use a simple 700 mabuchi motor , w a 10 cent rubber seal , between motor and water ,and water rusts up a mabuchi motor -you can also get a pebble in the pump stator , and it wont work .
 im not that strong any more , so if it was me ,i would fit 2 pumps , thats the only reason i suggested it .
 looking forward to seeing it on the water , keep the photos coming , its a lovely model
bill

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2014, 05:25:06 pm »

There is no such thing as a dead project, just a dusty one with spiders living in it!

I made a foolish promise about two months ago to have Ohio in the water by our next canal run in Chichester ( Easter Bank Holiday Monday, worth a visit, even if only to get rained on! ), so i decided to evict the spiders and get back on with it.
 A problem I encountered last year revolved around a big Yuasa 12v battery purchased for the model, at 10amps, the battery is physically taller than the standard 7amp gels we are all used to, and wouldn't fit past the motor! Being one of my builds, the motor was well in there, and refused to budge. even after mallets and chisels and claw hammers. Fortunately graham the mechanic was there. Out came the motor mount, creaking and cracking as the hull let it go. then I discovered that muggins here had screwed the mount in. As indicated by the two sheared off screws left hanging out of the hull sides!
 Still, mount removed, trimmed and re-fitted further aft...progress.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:00 pm »

Next job, battery tray. This was made using a mix of 1/2" and 1/4" ply, wrapping around the base of the battery. the reason for the use of thinner 1/4" ply, sticking out of the bottom of the hull is the bolt head, connected to a bolt projecting under the hull. This and others are there in case I have to sling any extra lead under the hull during sea trials...and they are in the way.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »

One of the Display Teams rules regarding Pyrotechnic boats is that the main battery must be secure and unable to move about. Prevents the model taking on an unexpected list or worse during a display. To that end, I needed to fit some sort of strap. Normally velcro will suffice, however with the depth of the battery, I decided to fit a top strap. A bit of offcut mahogany ply from the real boatbuilders next door to the clubhouse was 'appropriated' from their bin and put to good use. Drilled and tapped to take an M4 stud, these would then be fitted to the hull sides with epoxy.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »

Final job being to mount a suitable clear acrylic tray above the motor, to mount RC equipment on. For this job I used the Best quality B&Q plywood ( delaminating a speciality!) for more supports, treated in a similar way to the previous battery clamp supports, drilled M4 and epoxied in place.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

With an acrylic tray in place, I can start the RC installation, hopefully for the April run. Some extra work has been done on the midships section, preparing for the 'special' functions to be fitted. also, I now have all the guns drawn out to the internationally recognised scale of 1:61.5, may have to scratch build them!

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

get on with it ! providing it floats and is self propelled it will be fine . just keep that tug away from it , we both know what happens when it gets anywhere close to merchant vessels !

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:42 pm »

Next jobs, seal the timbers, a good splash of polyester resin everywhere sorted that out.
And time to bolt on some detail. I have added two cargo hatches aft. These straddle the removable hatch, good bit of forward planning there! So they are attached to the hatch via cyano and 8BA Nuts, bolts and washers.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »

Next job is to bring the stern section slowly to life. Propshaft and rudder removed for greasing, followed by making up a loom for the motor. This was then spun up for the first time, adjusting the tension on the motor mounting clamp until it ran sweet. The photos show my trusty SM Services Servo Tester testing the steering servo. I cannot begin to say how useful this piece of kit has been over the years. Bought it at Sandown Park at least one year before that show ceased to be.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:30 pm »

Gunfire sound effect speaker next. I could not make head nor tail of the Maplins Amplifier and almost poped my precious gunfire sound unit. So i have decided to make the stern section of the boat into a giant speaker box. I have fitted a mylar speaker due to its splash proofness, as opposed to a better, gruntier one ( I have also run out of depth for a deeper speaker, on a model 100" long, run out of room, who would have guessed it :embarrassed: ).
Next was a sheet of 1.5mm Epoxy glass, epoxied onto the acrylic hatch to provide some sort of heat proofing for the smoke unit, stop it melting through into the boat!

Some balsa wood carley floats have now been added to the model, with blu tac no less.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:35 pm »

Bringing the build up to date is my first attempt at moulding fittings. The model being built to the faintly ridiculous scale of 1:61 and a bit, will prove a challenge for some fittings. So I have started with doors, one open, one closed. I am using a re-usable hot melt rubber, requiring me to avoid any plastic components in the masters. My doors were a combination of etched brass bits, mirror glass rectangles, bits of brass rod and copper shim. At the same time I had a go at the oil tank vent hatches, needing about fifteen of these, moulding seemed to be the way to go. 1.5mm ply, capped with suitably detailed litho plate and topped off with a bit of 00 gauge rail track.
The red moulding compound went straight in the microwave ( dont cook in it, dont worry! ), heated up, then poured into a little baking tray, with my fittings glued to the bottom. then left to dry.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »

Out with the two mix resin, 50:50 ratios for us stupid people :-)) .
I picked up a trick reading one of them Merriman Submarine sites recently, regarding the moulding. He was making sacrificial annodes en masse, in plasticine. Pouring the resin, then floating a grease proof paper over the liquid. Capillary action drawing it down on the plasticine, and providing the mimimum of cleanup once the items were released. who said nothing good ever came out of the US of A! SS Ohio did...
Anyway, didn't have any greaseproof paper, did have some non-stick plastic box material.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »

On the above photos, the group of two oval tank hatches in the red rubber mould, have a little round hatch in the middle. This turned out to be plastic and partly melted in the hot rubber, I just poured resin in it in the hope it would be okay..it wasn't.
Final job this last weekend, Oval tank vents, on a stick.
These were built up from a mahogany square core and two halfs of a bit of ramin dowel, cut in half, badly, on a band saw. Glued together, sanded till they were right, then cut off using the guide on the bandsaw to get them uniform. Boiled sweets made of wood, numbering fifteen.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2014, 07:17:31 pm »

Next was a sheet of 1.5mm Epoxy glass, epoxied onto the acrylic hatch to provide some sort of heat proofing for the smoke unit, stop it melting through into the boat!

Not sure epoxy is the right material for heat proofing, as it softens when heated and looses its strength.
Nice build
cheers
vnkiwi   :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »

Well done UBN ...... keep up the grand work my man. O0

You have my approval (for what it's worth). :embarrassed:

Sandy.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:11 am »

Well done UBN ...... keep up the grand work my man. O0

You have my approval (for what it's worth). :embarrassed:

Sandy.

Cheers, big ears!
It will hit the water this year, watch this space ok2

All well with yourself?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:41 pm »

wouldnt a section of tufnol be better as a heat insulator under the smoke unit ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »

Having been in this hobby for more years than I dare to remember, I find I am allowed, no entitled, to forget most stuff that I have learnt over the years...so yes, fibreglass sheet is a hopeless insulator, I just forgot. Starting again....

The Fibreglass sheet is an 'underfelt' for my main heatproofing material which will be ----------.

Oh, and I "xxxxx" up the moulds last night. Left the resin in not the required 30 minutes, but 9 hours. would not release, ruined. The good news is It can be re-melted. I now have two new, moulds, not ruined, thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.