Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523106 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #450 on: October 24, 2019, 06:03:50 pm »

If you have £45 to spare you can buy a special edition model of Ohio.

https://anticsonline.uk/N426/N1590_/106767795_Albatros-ALK112-Ohio-the-tanker-in-the-Pedestal-Convoy-Model.html

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2023, 08:38:49 pm »

Alan, i was browsing Smiths the bookshop, when I came across Max Hastings book "Operation Pedestal & Chastise, a recent well reviewed book for £7 a 75% discount. Anyway one of the little titbits I found was all the Merchantmen sailed with all their lifeboats swung out and ready for immediate use, believe these convoy runs were more dangerous through enemy action than the Artic convoys. But I thought you may be interested and yes there is a large double page pic of Ohio entering Grand harbour in good definition. My Maritime lecturer at Glasgow was awarded the V.C for salvaging her with his fleet minesweeper, an his party trick was to come in the class room smiling then suddenly run down its length and jump with both feet together and end up on the back desk with his outspread fingers againts the glass pains, he would then turn round with a chuckle and say" one of these days I will miss and go through the Glass" , we were on the 10th floor with very large glass windows!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: March 19, 2023, 09:36:07 pm »

Evening chap. A good bit of info, many thanks for that.
I believe you are correct about the boats being swung out. The attached image had me confused for quite some time, as to the dark grey mark on the hull midships, until I realised it was the shadow cast by the swung out ships boat. Not something I plan to replicate on my model, when I finally get round to finishing it off that is!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.