Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LOYAL VOLUNTEER BUILD LOG  (Read 21425 times)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LOYAL VOLUNTEER BUILD LOG
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »

Stew49, that may be what I need.  Where did you get it?  Does it come in black?  Thanks.

stew49

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 06:33:09 pm »

Hi CGAux26, dont think it comes in black. have a look.   http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_rigging_cord.html
hope it helps.

stew49

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 09:08:27 pm »

what about this one, its from Robbe fittings

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:39 am »

Here is my solution to the crane rigging line.  I found some black braided nylon, about 1.5 mm diameter at my local marine chandler.  It's sold for making and repairing fishing nets.

Note on the last of today's photos that I made detachment between the cargo winch and the corresponding block on the sampson post with a magnet pair.  A tip of the hat to Harrin,   :-))  who first showed that idea in his Loyal build log. 

I have also completed two flag hoists for the main mast.  These are courtesy flags of the US, where I live, and Canada, where I often sail on Como Lake or at Burnaby.  No pictures yet.

All that's left are the decals on the sides, fenders, and installing the batteries and ballast.   :P

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:36 am »

I like that thread. Nice and neat with no fuzzy bits.

John

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:29 am »

That is a great looking model, superb.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 04:17:13 am »

This should be my next-to-last post to this build log.  I have the British RMAS ensign in place, on a removable flag pole.  The mast halyards have been rigged for the courtesy flags of the US and Canada.  Navlights all work as they should, one switch for running lights and another for towing lights.  And the MS heavy metal radar has been replaced with an enclosed FERANO antenna. 

With some help from my First Wife, I put the boat in the bathtub and adjusted the ballast.  I had to take out 3 lb of lead shot since I last float tested it, before the cabin was detailed.  She is on her lines, at 23 lb displacement.

Wishing for some good weather tomorrow, so I can give LOYAL VOLUNTEER her sea trial.  I am waiting for the post to bring a new set of (vinyl) decals from Laurie at MS.  The original waterslide decals crumbled when I tried one out; they were well beyond their shelf life.

I have 950 hours construction time in this model.  Probably a lot, but it's my first seriously complex build.  It is almost 10 years to the month since I did the first steps on this boat.  A great challenge and a lot of satisfaction.  Thanks again to all who have helped.

pugwash

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:12 am »

You should be very pleased with yourself CG, It really looks smart.
Geoff

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:44 am »

Very nice build. Well done.

John

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:21 am »

Underway at last, at Como Lake in Coquitlam, BC.  Photos are courtesy Ginny and my friends and expert photographers Joe S. and Laurn R.  Volunteer handles well, with a lot of momentum.  She turns tight with little heel.  She will pivot on her beam ends using the bow thruster.  And she backs predictably.  I can hardly wait for navigation season.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 07:46:10 am »

She looks even better on the water, superb model!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

stew49

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:04 am »

Looks Great, cant wait to get mine finnished. hope it looks as good as yours. how much ballast did it need? and how did you cut the V in the samson post ?
whats the next build lol.

Stewart :-))

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 04:25:33 pm »

Stew49, I have about 7-8 lb of lead shot ballast in my boat.  It's in 3 Ziploc bags, two next to the battery (just forward of the motor) and one just aft of the bow thruster.  I cut the V-notch in the Sampson post with a Dremel cutoff wheel and a sharp knife.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

Beautiful Model Mate!

I was looking at a real one yesterday and they seem to 'squat' at speed
Never seen one with tyres as they all used 'pussers' basket fenders which were about 4ft long sausage shaped woven cane with a loop on each end so they
could be hung horizontal or vertical.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

maffen

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »

nice build  :-)) just one adjustment needed ; on the radar i think it must be FERUNO not FERANO   :D

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

You caught me, Maffen.  "FERANO" is a play on "FURUNO," based on my last name, Feray.  And welcome to the Mayhem.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:10 am »

I received my nice vinyl decal letters from Callie Graphics yesterday and put them on.   A great system she has, with the sticky side of the letters mounted on stiff paper and a light tack carrier on the visible side.  They went on easily, and then I overcoated them with Krylon Matte Finish.  Looks good.  Pics to follow.

farrow

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »

Nice to see a RMAS flag on a RMAS vessel, very nice model and yes the real thing turns on a sixpence so you must have got it right well done, splendid sight.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:37 am »

Dodes, thanks so much for the confirmation on the RMAS flag.  Being a Colonist I had an awful time figuring out which was the right flag.   :-))

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:57 am »

Here are the pictures of the Callie graphics lettering on the boat.  Also pics of the way I installed the lead shot ballast.  The ballast ended up in vacuum sealed bags and is fastened in the hull with Velcro.  About 7 pounds total, plus the two 6 VDC 4.5 Ah batteries.

pugwash

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

CG This is a beautiful build - you should be very pleased with it.

Geoff

farrow

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »

Sorry to upset you old mate, I thought it was a RMAS vessel when I saw the her colours, but now you have named her, the loyal group of F/T's where operated by the RNXS, which had a blue ensign which is not commercialy available. Change the name to one starting with M for the RMAS and it will be okay, still a lovely model though, your mistake on hull colour is quite common though.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:32 pm »

Dodes,
Oh well, does "Close enough for government work"  apply on your side of the pond as it does here?   :D  As I may have said before, I spent a lot of time researching the Loyals, but the info I could find remained fuzzy on the distinction of RMAS/RNXS.  I picked the Volunteer name to echo my many years in the volunteer US Coast Guard Auxiliary. 

farrow

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

Hi mate, no I am just feeling picky the other day. Your model is extremely well made , which you deservedly should be proud off. Yes you are right the RMAS look after these RNXS boats for em, maintained them , cleaned them and bunkered /watered them for the RNXS staff to step aboard and take them away. The RNXS where volunteers, who in time of war had certain duties to carry out for the RN, whilst the RMAS was a form of a small vessel department operated by the RN. The RMAS operating every type of harbour craft to ocean going cable repair ships and ocean going research vessels.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2011, 04:47:32 pm »

Here is Loyal Volunteer with her tire fenders added.  She is now "COMPLETE," so any more work is maintenance.  The tires are Intaleri, from Jackson Models in UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.